LG ESS Battery recall

LG Energy Solution Australia Pty Ltd (formerly LG Chem Australia Pty Ltd) — ESS Home Energy Storage System Batteries | Product Safety Australia

Affected models include:
RESU3.3, RESU6.5, RESU10, RESU13, RESU7H Type-R, RESU10H Type-C, RESU10H Type-R, RESU10H Type-R (Secondary), S/A Gen2 1P (EM048063P3S4) and S/A Gen2 2P (EM048126P3S7)

The affected ESS Home Batteries are equipped with cells from all production lots manufactured between April 2017 and September 2018.

Identifying features

Affected units can be identified using their serial numbers. Visit LG ESS Battery|Australia. Click on “Battery Recall: Free Replacement Campaign” for more information, including guidelines on how to check your battery’s serial number.

What are the defects?

The batteries may overheat and catch on fire.

What are the hazards?

If the batteries overheat, there is an increased risk of fire which may result in an injury or death and/or property damage.

What should consumers do?

If you believe you have, or have installed, an affected ESS Home Battery, please immediately contact LG Energy Solution Australia’s product department by phone on 1300 677 273 or email at productau@lgensol.com to arrange an inspection and (if applicable) a replacement of an affected ESS Home Battery free of charge.

Further information is available on the LG Energy Solution website at LG ESS Battery|Australia. Click on “Battery Recall: Free Replacement Campaign” for more information, including guidelines on how to check your battery’s serial number.

LG Energy Solution is also implementing a remote software upgrade for a number of online affected RESU10H Type-R and RESU7H Type-R units to lower the maximum state of charge to 75% for the interim period prior to replacement. This software upgrade is only applicable to online units which have sufficient online connectivity to be able to receive the software upgrade.

Additional advice from majority of state electrical regulators and the ACCC

• Consumers should switch off their battery storage systems until the affected battery has been replaced or the maximum state of charge of the battery has been reduced to 75%.
  • To switch off the battery storage systems safely, consumers should refer to the instructions for their battery storage systems or contact the installer or LG Energy Solution for advice on how to do so.
  • The affected batteries have also been supplied to consumers in battery storage systems with brand names other than LG.

If in doubt, check with your installer or contact LG Energy Solution on 1300 677 273 or at productau@lgensol.com

I’d be interested to hear of other’s experiences in regard to this recall.

The original recall was in February 2021, nearly 2 years ago. My battery was among those recalled. After waiting 20 months for a replacement battery, I demanded a refund in October 2022.

The refund was subsequently agreed, but I am yet to receive it despite several dates having been promised and missed.

Waiting over 2 years for action on a serious product recall is unacceptable and makes a mockery of consumer law.

1 Like