LG Customer Service

Less than 3 weeks ago I purchased an LG dishwasher from Appliances Online. I installed it correctly, ran through the test ‘rinse’ run and did a full load of dishes. All was good. Long story short, over the next few days it began filling with water, without any use. I contacted Appliances Online who said that they would organise someone to take a look and that if the dishwasher was found to have a fault they would replace my dishwasher. A technician attended and together we discovered that not only was the base of the machine filling with water, there was almost an inch of water in the electronics underneath!

Whilst the technician was looking at my dishwasher I contacted Appliances Online and he verified it was a faulty valve. The technician then told me that I was lucky to purchase the dishwasher through Appliances Online because if I had purchased it through LG they would simply replace the faulty part. I received a call from the repair company today wanting to arrange the replace the part. I get my new replacement dishwasher in a few days.

I would expect a machine a year or so old to have a faulty part replaced, but a machine a week old, with a serious fault (and a potential hazard from water ingress in the electronics) - no way! Maybe someone needs to have a chat with LG about their obligations to consumers.

2 Likes

I very much doubt that would be the case. You can’t really review how a company handles issues if you haven’t actually even been in contact with them.

I often find that kind of stuff is ‘official’ policy that gets handed out to staff and contractors but if you actually get in touch with customer support they’re more than happy to go beyond that

2 Likes

LG Customer Support told me to contact Appliances Online. The technician who attended was from Mr Dishwasher.

1 Like

Hi Trixie

Welcome to the forum. Sorry you have had such a bad experience with your new dishwasher.

The ACCC website is a good place to start to find out about your consumer rights in relation to major and minor faults.

From that page,
If you have a minor problem with a product or service, the business can choose to give you a free repair instead of a replacement or refund. When you have a major problem with a product, you have the right to ask for your choice of a replacement or refund.” (bolding is mine)

From the ACCC page, "A product or good has a major problem when:

• it has a problem that would have stopped someone from buying it if they’d known about it
  • it is significantly different from the sample or description
  • it is substantially unfit for its common purpose and can’t easily be fixed within a reasonable time
  • it doesn’t do what you asked for and can’t easily be fixed within a reasonable time; or
  • it is unsafe."

You are relying on the last point for wanting a replacement. I can see your concern, but if the dishwasher is unplugged and the faulty valve is replaced (and the electronics dried out) the machine should then be completely safe and not leak again. Therefore, in my opinion it could be argued you only have a minor fault, so the Appliances Online is entitled to repair if they so choose.

If the machine is repaired a couple of times and is still faulty, you then have a case for a major fault. At the moment, I think you need to let them fix it and see if it works properly. If it does, then all is well. If not call them out again.

You should always contact the retailer if there is a problem. Only contact the manufacturer if the retailer is not providing you with the assistance you require.

Again from the ACCC: “The retailer who sold you the product or service cannot refuse to help you by sending you to the manufacturer or importer. You can approach the manufacturer or importer directly, however, you will only be entitled to recover costs from them, which include an amount for reduction in the product’s value and in some cases compensation for damages or loss. You cannot demand a repair, replacement or refund from the manufacturer.” (bolding is mine)

If you feel that you do want to proceed with a complaint, have a look at the Choice templates and use them as a guide.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, there are possibly no products made that don’t have some level of failure. When humans are involved in the design, manufacture, handling and distribution, there will always be faults which will arise. While it would be nice if everything we bought was infallible, to do such would be either cost prohibitive (as components would need to be over engineered/designed and every product manufactured would need to go through stringent quality and operational testing)… Such an approach would possibly result in products which seem ‘old technology’ as manufacturers would be more reluctant to test new technologies in the marketplace.

Manufacturers realise this and is why they offer a manufacturers warranty and the Australian Consumer Law also has its own warranty obligations which override that of the manufacturer.

Unfortunately it appears that you have purchased/received a dishwasher which has a faulty valve. Hopefully the replacement one proves to be more reliable that the first one you received.

It does leave a bad taste in ones mouth when something like this happens, but unfortunately, it is very common occurrence.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about this issue with a brand new dishwasher Trixie. Hope it’s resolved to your satisfaction.

I don’t believe the technician has been entirely truthful, as it is not possible to purchase a dishwasher direct from LG. LG will refer you to a retailer that stocks their appliances.

6 Likes

When I read @Trixie’s complaint I didn’t think she was unsatisfied by the service from Appliances Online

But I think the complaint was that the repairer referred to LG’s possible service/response to the situation may have only been the replacement of the valve. EDIT: As LG correctly referred @Trixie to AO re the fault it is hard to raise an issue with them based on what amounts to hearsay or secondhand comment whether they would have just replaced the valve or not.

Of course I may have misread the post and my assumptions could be incorrect and if so then I am sure @Trixie can respond and clarify as needed.

1 Like

Thanks for your responses. At the time, I contacted LG and was referred back to Appliances Online, whom I purchased the dishwasher from.

Had I had the dishwasher for a few months and it had worked properly before the fault developed I would have agreed with accepting a replacement valve and drying the machine out. However, as it was only a week old I was not prepared to do this. Fortunately Appliances Online offered to replace my faulty dishwasher with a brand new one. I have purchased other appliances through Appliances Online and always had excellent service from them.

I have had my replacement dishwasher for nearly 4 weeks and I am very happy with it. I have also written a favourable comment reviewing the dishwasher I purchased.

5 Likes

The option of accepting a new valve if indeed the water leak had flooded the electronics would never be a reliable warranty fix given what has been described here.

How would you know that any component that suffered immersion would not have been affected? The shortened future life might become an issue with subsequent warranty.

Perhaps there is some miscommunication from the service rep here? Our previous LG dishwasher, and current Miele have all the electronics in the top of the door. I’ve previously had to repair a F&P drawer unit. That design has the same layout.

The dishwasher manufacturers do their best to keep the water and electricity separate. It makes little sense and would be extrembly hazardous if the bottom of the dishwasher could collect and hold water around any of the electrical and or electronic components.

There are a number of solenoid valves, sensors/switches and a pump under or near the base of a typical DW, but no electronic circuitry.

It makes an intriguing repair story. :smiley:

3 Likes

Our AEG dishwasher has a small amount of electronics lower down but most is electrical such as you describe pumps etc.

3 Likes

Hi all
Just a warning to avoid LG products as I have recently had protracted dealings with therm over replacement of my 14kg Top Load Washing Machine which was still under warranty. Unfortunately, I have also about 6 months ago, purchased an LG dryer, based on Choices recommendations. One area that I would suggest Choice also reports on is a rating on customer service (mystery shopping perhaps). Had I understood the appalling customer service offered by LG there is no way that I would have purchased the dryer irrespective of what Choice recommended. It took over 3 weeks (where I was without a washing machine and have a family of 5), for LG to finally provide me with a credit note depsite the repariers recommendation to replace it 3 weeks earlier. Had I not constantly contacted LG to find out where things were at, I suggest I would still be waiting for them to contact me. Now I have to battle with them to show proof that I used a laudromat during this time so I can reclaim the $270 spent during this time. Do yourself a favour and avoid LG. The products may be ok but when they go down the back up is attrocious.

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum @BuderimDee

An issue some of us raise with Choice recommendations is that they are based on laboratory tests. Sometimes consumer experiences are wildly different. You might ‘enjoy’ this related topic.

including my recent post regarding a dryer. Guess which brand?

That suggests your machine had a major failure and was refunded? If that was the case, despite the 3-weeks inconvenience you have had a good outcome. In spite of others with dissatisfaction, our Choice recommended LG washing machine has been bullet-proof for its 5 years and counting.

Sadly that will happen with virtually any claim where one seeks recompense for out of pocket, and for home contents insurance should you ever need to claim. In honesty I cannot say any manufacturer would be so generous a to ask what you spent and write you a cheque, end of process, although some (even LG?) might up to a very modest amount.

I moved your post to this topic because you are not alone, not that would be much personal comfort.

A message is that picking a good product that has good after-sales backup and service is challenging.

3 Likes

I myself am a delighted customer of LG and their Support was great. My 65" LG TV failed just short of three years old and I rang LG to check if there was anything I could do try and revive the TV. I was told they could send someone to check and I said “how much?” as I did not want to throw good money after bad, and they said no cost! They did not end up sending anyone as I was able to explain the problem over the phone as well as provide purchase details and the serial number.

After several emails back and forth over three weeks, a bit slow, but at the end of the day I was given the full purchase price as a credit to use at my local JB HiFi. I chose another 65" LG, as I thought it was the right thing to do, and as it was cheaper price than my old TV I pocketed over $400! Extraordinary stuff!

4 Likes

Maybe LG needs to look into its after sales service, other its will be known as ‘Lifes Good - until your LG breaks down’.

1 Like

We bought an LG front loading washing machine in January 2020.
In April of this year we noticed water on the floor, which after turning off the water supply to the machine, we determined was coming from the machine. We reported this to LG, who sent a technician on the 16th April. The technician found a leak at the bottom of the machine, but because there was damage to the floor from the leak, he said he would have to submit a report. We have called several times since to get an update, but have each time been told they are waiting on the report and they will chase. We called again today, Monday 3rd May, and still no report and apparently no effort to chase. They finally called the technician who stated he filed the report on 24th April. Now we have received a text saying that our case has been closed, but not to worry, that a new case has been opened. I have a few questions:

1. How long can LG drag this out? It is very inconvenient not having a functioning washing machine, with a family of 6. Are they obliged to repair or replace within a certain time, or provide an alternative machine to use?
  2. Why would they close the case and reopen a new case? Is this normal, or should we be concerned?
  3. How do we get a resolution to this problem? We seem to get nowhere when calling the LG customer service line. It’s got to the point where we would like for them to take away the machine and refund us our money.
  4. Is LG responsible for the water damage to our floor and skirting board?

Thanks in advance for answering our questions.

7 Likes

Read your rights under Australian Consumer Law and since they have apparently not been crisp in responding it is clear they regard everything that has transpired to date as nothing but ‘idle chit chat’ as I refer to it.

Idle chit chat wastes your time. It is time for you to send LG a formal Letter of Complaint. There are many links on the Community to the ACL and Choice advice, as well as tools to assist in writing a Letter of Complaint.

Make sure you get a receipt/acknowledgement for the Letter of Complaint. Most companies respond much better once they have been ‘served’ with one, as compared to engaging in idle chit chat.

You will need to write your Letter as if you are a silk in front of a magistrate. Cite what you purchased, claims of quality or service, your experiences with same, your consumer rights you claim are not being delivered, and exactly what you want and by when, with a date for their formal response. If they ignore you, you can go to your state Fair Trading agency that can be a waste of time or very helpful, case and target company dependent.

Please let us know if you need more guidance, and how you go with your problem.

6 Likes

My 7 month old Samsung washing machine’s mother board that I purchased from Appliances Online blew two weeks ago and I’m still waiting on an approval for a new machine. I’m glad they were good to you. They could send me a new machine right now but they’re waiting on Samsung to say yes apparently.

So still no approval on a new machine and I wasn’t even offered options. They won’t be getting my business again and it ramps up to Fair Trading by Wednesday.

3 Likes

My 4 year old LG Microwave Oven (MS4296OSB) recent started to suffer a fragmented display. Even though it is 2 years out of warranty I felt that the clock/display failure was not acceptable given the oven itself was working fine & was a premium model, I felt this made it not fit-for-purpose.
I contacted LG Customer Service & while there was some initial difficulty explaining the display had missing or non-illuminated segments, once clarified they looked into the problem & advised me that for my “customer loyalty” they would extend the warranty to cover this fault.
I have always registered products on manufacturers’ websites so I guess the number of LG products I own gave them this view or perhaps it was that a common fault was known about, either way I have just collected my repaired oven at no charge from the local authorised centre.
Interesting thing was that despite the emailed authority to repair under warranty from LG that I provided to the authorised centre, they advised that until approved by the state rep for LG in WA they couldn’t proceed. This took a few weeks & after calling them to suggest the rep might like to consult the head office &/or I could do so, it was approved.
Persistence pays.

13 Likes

Always fantastic to hear good news.

6 Likes

Better than my experience…although I wasn’t so persistent. About 15 years ago I had an LG dishwasher just a couple of months out of warranty that required expensive main PCB replacement. I wrote a letter to LG highlighting but never heard a word. I’ve never purchased an LG product since.

4 Likes