Lemon cars advice

Likewise, noting that was about 4 years ago.

1 Like

Who are FCA?

1 Like

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles

1 Like

Hi. Uh sorry I forgot about this forum.
I couldn’t tell you the precise thing they eventually fixed. They replaced the computer and various parts. None worked. Then some guys from Hyundai head office stormed into the garage and fixed some faulty wire and stormed out to the complete befuddlement of the poor mechanic. Turned out some other car (same model) was doing the same thing, but far worse in another state. So they worked it out on that car. But rather than phone the mechanic and clue them in they showed up in person to fix it themselves. He did tell me where the wiring was, but I forgot over time. Anyway she’s run like a charm since. Took 6 months of faffing around to get to this fix though.

6 Likes

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for closing the loop! Much appreciated.

5 Likes

Ta, fixed my link to ‘Automobiles’.

Auromobiles?

3 Likes

What is a reasonable amount of times a car can be repaired under warranty for same problem. I bought a new Mercedes and within a year the roof leaked. A year and a half later (8 visits to Dealerships) and roof still leaks

5 Likes

Welcome to the Community @JoV,

I moved your topic into this existing germane one. You should find your answers in previous posts, especially Choice articles already referenced, and you will also find some allied topics by using the Community search for ‘lemon’, of which there are a few.

4 Likes

This is atrocious and very poor service from Mercedes.

Do you know if the leak is a common fault with the particular car model because if it is, it may be a design fault which Mercedes may struggle in fixing?

In addition to the Choice article provided earlier in this thread, in relation to current lemon law status, this 2 year old article provides a summary:

4 Likes

When searching as suggested above, also look at overseas experiences with the same model as yours. If it is recognised as a systemic fault overseas, that is good leverage when arguing for warranty repairs.

4 Likes

Can you advise the model and the build year?

2 Likes

It’s a 2018 SLC300 Mercedes Convertible

3 Likes

There doesn’t appear to be a common issue at all with the roof seal (it may be a rare one but no reports found). However if it is water in the footwell after rain this appears to be a sort of common problem:

2 Likes

My car is actually leaking from the roof. They have changed seals, readjusted roof changed a few things and even changed the whole roof and still leaking.

2 Likes

No worries, it was just a query whether it was really the roof. As it is the roof there are almost no problems that I can find other than on 2 Sprinters (which are not convertibles). Lemon laws for cars have been researched by CHOICE among others (most links previously posted above)

(2016 dated article)

(2019 dated article)

(Qld only):
https://www.qcat.qld.gov.au/matter-types/motor-vehicle-disputes

Getting some Legal advice on what you may be able to do is probably one of the next best steps to take. There are free Consumer Legal advice centres in every State and Territory that can give you some guidance. You can proceed with the advice CHOICE has given in their articles if that is your preferred starting point. Remember to keep written documentation and when dealing with the businesses to get repairs or replacement always do so by written requests.

3 Likes

I did tell both Holden and the used dealer i purchase the car from it does not work ok the law is totally rubbish in my opinion. I have no faith in the system.

1 Like

The contact with the Business is the first step, if that doesn’t work there are more steps that a Buyer needs to take. Just because a Seller does not respond favourably (some are dodgy and some will hope we/“the problem” goes away or we don’t go further) doesn’t mean the system has failed. It may not work first up but until you test the case it will sometimes fail at first at that beginning step. Wouldn’t it be great if we all were honest, both buyers and sellers, sadly it isn’t so.

1 Like

Bought in a Mazda CX-8 in February 2021. Found out in May it was losing oil. Had it serviced 3 days after ( at 9999km). Three weeks later after being serviced, found the same problem again - oil level, at dangerously low levesl. Wrote to Mazda about it mentioning “major failure” , “ACCC” and copied Mazda’s head office emai\ just waiting for a response. I’ve also schedule the car for a service with the additional request they provide the courtesy car free of charge. Will sure update here.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Community @annmadr

A while back in the US a mate had a problem with a Volvo diesel and immediately stopped on the highway shoulder when the low oil warning came on shortly after a service. The dealership told him not to worry and bring it in the next day. Back onto the highway and the engine seized. Volvo had it towed, installed a new engine, and provided a courtesy car while his was down.

The message is be wary of advice contrary to common sense and if in receipt of any to document the who, what, and when because you might need it.

We look forward to that.

1 Like