Latest Warning From Scamwatch. Vehicle Ad Scams. 27.04.2021

1 Like

A move from the “buying my son a gift” routine.

1 Like

I got that email too, and was left wondering whether to sell my car privately or not… think I’ll just drive it until…

2 Likes

It is a warning to buyers, not sellers.

There is also a scam for sellers which my wife’s sister was subjected to a few yeras ago.

She lives in Northern NSW, and when she advertised her small GMH car, some scumbag who claimed to be in Darwin said that he wanted to buy it but wanted her to pay the transport costs of some hundreds of dollars which he claimed he would add to the payment for the car.

When she did not fall fot it, the grub even went as far as sending false images of AFP documents and claimed she would be charged.

I am just disappointed that these grubs never target me so that I could really have some fun.

Yeah, but will buyers not want my car, for fear of being scammed?

1 Like

No reason not to if they can visit you to see your car and you can accept payment face to face.

No internet needed.

1 Like

Another article regarding these scams.

We were selling a Vespa many years ago (15) and had the “buying it for my son” routine with the transport issue thrown in. I got the quote and responded. He wanted it sent then pay. I went all “contract” on him and he went silent. Needless to say we did not lose any money or the Vespa.
I hope your relative sent the “AFP” paperwork to the AFP with contact details.

3 Likes

And one more vehicle-related scam: Police investigating after Victorian woman loses car won in online lottery - ABC News

File this one under the general warning: if it seems too good to be true, it probably is

Some timely advice from that article:

check for a lottery’s permit number prior to entering

(I believe that lotteries are issued permits on a state-by-state basis, so look for a permit that applies to your state and then verify it on that state’s web site, if possible.)

If a consumer wins a high-value prize such as a car, they should make sure that the lottery organiser provides them with the legal paperwork to accompany that prize

3 Likes

I’ve been seeing tiny ads for e-scooters, e-bikes and mobility scooters for $49. WTF? Nope. SCAM!!

2 Likes