Ladies Wearing Mens Shoes

You blokes are lucky.
You can buy items like those and not have to wonder if people will laugh.
Not so with us females. [grump grump]

1 Like

Hiking boots and hats are not usually gender specific, but have noticed that following fashion trends both now follow latest fashion styles (esp. boots where pinks and purples seem to the the highlight colours). We often buy ‘male’ boots for the other half and they fit no differently to the more colourful ‘female’ boots for the same price.

If one isn’t precious about keeping up with latest fashion trends, it is possible.

1 Like

Really ? - there are men’s boots that women can wear?
What brands ?
Buy where ?
And no, I am not precious about ‘fashion’. Having at the beginning of April weighed in at 104kg, you will comprehend that ‘fashion’ is possibly the last thing on my list of interests. :slight_smile:

In reality, any boot but the sizes are different. You need to be persistent with store staff as they will try to sell ‘female’ boot.

Some manufacturers market unisex boots/shoes, but, a man’s shoe can be worn by a female. You just need to know your size for the male boot/shoe as a size x in male sizing isn’t the same as size x in female boots/shoes. Like any shoe, try, if they are the right size, right price and comfortable…one can make a decision to buy them.

2 Likes

Redback for one. They also do sizes down to toddlers IIRC.

4 Likes

Thanks muchly ! - I shall go looking,

2 Likes

This concept had never crossed what I laughingly call my mind !!

2 Likes

Dunlop, one boot for nearly all occasions. :+1:

The Wise One has a pair of gum boots in plain black with red soles just like mine, only 2 sizes smaller. The critters in the long grass are neither fashion aware or gender judgemental. In general they are more respectful, self aware and polite than those measured by the height of a snakes belly.

Or for that special outing Doc Martens perhaps?
They go equally well with any look or un-look.

4 Likes

You know, I have SO OFTEN longed for a pair of wellies - whenever the streets are running with water but I have to go out for some reason … Time I did something.
And Doc Martens ? - I s’pose I always thought they were for the young. Why did I think that ?!
Thanks, Mark !! :cat: :hiking_boot: :partying_face:

4 Likes

!

2 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: :thinking:

Something to consider when buying boots:

“Women typically have a narrower heel and taller arch than a man. So a boot that is billed as suitable for women should be built on a last (the mold used to form the boot) that reflects these characteristics, rather than simply taking a men’s boot and down-sizing it.”

https://www.outsideonline.com

3 Likes

Sensible !

I live in the bush where a lot of the population, men and women alike, wear workboots daily. A number of brands are popular and if you ask people why they choose the one they wear and not another it is because they are comfortable. But they don’t all choose the same brand!

I find the same myself, that some fit better than others even when I have the best size. People have different shaped feet and so some makes suit one but not another. Regardless of being male or female it is important to try on various makes and find the one that suits you.

4 Likes

Not me. flat feet and WIDE. Been buying mens for a few years now because they are very often much wider in the toe box, whereas womens shoes are usually really narrow. I got sick of squashed feet around 40ish. And do not ask me to wear high heels. They went when I was 18.

4 Likes

Whereas I have very high arches and WIDE. It had never occurred to me to buy men’s shoes, @SueW (believe it or not !); but now I’m ready to rock, and am off to see about some - or any, :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Good on you, or anyone else, for being
‘atypical’ Sue :laughing:

4 Likes

According to somebody I know in the business Australians tend to have wide feet on an international scale. It is assumed by some the reason is our outdoor lifestyle where we go barefoot or wear thongs (the footwear). I don’t know of any good evidence that this is so - it may be one of those assumptions that gets passed around as fact or a component of the problem along with other causes.

There is some data here that seems to support the shorter/wider in Oz.

3 Likes

Nice to know I’m typically different. Narrow heels and high instep. Unfortunately following the advice that a women’s fit might better suit, the typical male office of past decades has been exceptionally narrow in what is acceptable attire. Not since the Roman Legionnaires sandal has there been any real style to men’s footwear.

And not since Joe reigned in Qld have I got away with shorts, long socks, short sleeves and no tie in the office. Too much for the City of Sydney in 1982. :wink:

3 Likes

It does mke sense - for my generation anyway. I grew up in Perth in a house that had a back garden going down to the river, and spent my childhood in bare feet. Lot of my adulthood as well, having got used to it.

2 Likes