Kraft Peanut Butter Is Back

I was just watching Food Safari Water-Seafood on SBS On Demand when there was an ad for Kraft Peanut Butter at IGA stores.

I thought that it must have been an old episode so I checked the end credits. The date was 2018.

I then Googled Kraft Peanut Butter and read this article.

So, after flogging most of their Australian assets to Bega for $460 million, Kraft has sneaked back to try to take the market back.

Absolutely disgraceful. Can somebody tell Dick Smith.

1 Like

That was the deal up front. No surprises just a bit of arm waving.

3 Likes

I found an article which explains it.

https://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/agribusiness/bega-cheese-buys-vegemite-some-kraft-brands-from-mondelez/news-story/0005d9c9abe80cfd3ac5fecf5a5a4e23

It does seem remiss of Bega not to have secured an agreement that Kraft would not recommence peanut butter operations in Australia.

At least the Kraft product is only stocked at IGA at present. Hopefully Coles and Woollies won’t sell the Kraft product, or worse, give Bega the boot.

1 Like

The Kraft vs Bega copyright dispute is playing out in court at the moment. We had a look at this issue in our recent peanut butter taste test, here’s who came out on top:

5 Likes

Good work Choice, as the synopsis shows it tastes better because it is less healthy. More sugar and salt, with very modest higher peanut content.

4 Likes

There was a very interesting segment on ABC Landline in July regarding Bega peanut paste and their plan to eventually use 100% Australian peanuts.

1 Like

Tasting better is what has created the junk food industry.

My takeaway is that the ‘best tasting’ are what I call ‘factory processed products’. The products that most resemble what ‘mother made’ are well down the list (and made in factories). The latter have less sugar and salt, the oils separate, and they taste like the smashed peanuts.they are.

Not only does junk food taste ‘better’, it creates the craving for more yielding higher sales.

What is ‘winning’ when a food like peanut butter is considered? Tasting better or being better? Are a few grams (or mg) of sugar or salt, or a minor percentage of peanuts more than academic interest in the quantity peanut butter is usually eaten? Conclusion, it often comes down to personal preference including product and feeling ‘right’ about one’s selection.

2 Likes