Kogan - False advertising

I bought a LED 27" Kogan monitor. It advertised inbuilt speakers and it didn’t have them when it arrived in the post. The manual also mentioned these inbuilt speakers and it didn’t have them. I obtained a refund for the product after a lot of bother with getting them to be honest about the problem. In the end, it involved the complete release of the model. Their response was hardly a sorry and trying to tell me it was simply a listing problem.

However, in the end, I have enough documentary evidence to show false advertising on their part (whether deliberate or not). Who do I contact about this and is it worth the bother of attempting a case of false advertising? From my whole experience and their obfuscation, I would like to pursue a penalty to be brought against them.

2 Likes

Glad to hear you were able to get a refund in the end!

If you’d like to report false advertising, the body to contact is the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC). You can make a complaint here - http://www.accc.gov.au/contact-us/contact-the-accc/consumer-complaint-form

You have the option to upload and attach documents, and I would recommend that you do attach the documentary evidence you have.

3 Likes

That’s really helpful. Thanks. I will be putting that complaint in.

2 Likes

Yes they are helpful in situations like this. We had a problem with a fairly basic Samsung dishwasher that didn’t have the autowash feature which we always used on our old machine. The Samsung model was advertised everywhere with this feature and it even had a spot on the panel for the light when autowash was on. The ACCC got involved and Samsung changed their website so it no longer mentioned autowash and they replaced our machine with a very much more expensive model that actually has autowash for no extra cost.

2 Likes