Keto Gummies

Has anyone heard anything about these weight loss things? My sister in law was recommended to try them by her Doctor? Kind regards, Peter

2 Likes

Apparently there are several brands and formulations, which one did you have in mind?

2 Likes

Hi, well I don’t know any other than the web (which I find suss) That’s the information I was chasing! Kind regards, Peter

2 Likes

Perhaps ask your SIL or get her to post here herself - its free. Generally when a doctor suggests some treatment they specify what they mean. We are talking about a registered GP aren’t we?

2 Likes

I’m glad you asked the question @peter6 - Let me quote from the one research paper I found relating to these gummies: "There are limited data available for most of these supplements contrary to the claims laid by the mainstream media. Due to lack of awareness, this patient population is at high risk of adverse effects."

From the Australian Government’s Health Direct: "The ketogenic diet is often promoted for weight loss in healthy people. It is often suggested for people with obesity

There have been only limited and small studies on the ketogenic diet for weight loss. These studies have shown that the diet has short-term benefits in some people including weight loss and improvements in total cholesterol, blood sugar and blood pressure, but at one year these effects are about the same as those of conventional weight loss diets.

While a ketogenic diet can be fast and effective in the short term, it can be hard to maintain because it is very limiting. This means a large number of people tend to drop out of the diet, contributing to unhealthy, ‘yo-yo’ dieting behaviour. The key to maintaining a healthy weight in the long-term is an eating pattern that you can sustain over time.

It is important to remember that people have different needs, and that no single weight-loss diet suits everyone. A ketogenic diet may be an option for some people who have had difficulty losing weight with other methods, but if you choose to go on a ketogenic diet, it is best to be under the supervision of a doctor and an accredited practising dietitian."

Another reference from Harvard Uni: "In the world of weight-loss diets, low-carbohydrate, high-protein eating plans often grab attention. The Paleo, South Beach, and Atkins diets all fit into that category. They are sometimes referred to as ketogenic or “keto” diets.

But a true ketogenic diet is different. Unlike other low-carb diets, which focus on protein, a keto plan centers on fat, which supplies as much as 90% of daily calories. And it’s not the type of diet to try as an experiment.

“The keto diet is primarily used to help reduce the frequency of epileptic seizures in children. While it also has been tried for weight loss, only short-term results have been studied, and the results have been mixed. We don’t know if it works in the long term, nor whether it’s safe,” warns registered dietitian Kathy McManus, director of the Department of Nutrition at Harvard-affiliated Brigham and Women’s Hospital."

So in summary, there is little research to support keto diets for weight loss, and no research for the gummies. Keto diets are for children with epilepsy, and some cancer patients, and should not be undertaken without medical supervision. Finally, the apple cider vinegar gummies contain acetic acid. The gummies stick to your teeth when eaten, and therefore the acetic acid is in contact with the teeth for some time which could well lead to dental decay.

Based on the complete absence of research about keto gummies, I would be suggesting that the only people benefitting are the manufacturers and retailers. On that basis I would be calling it a complete bogus product.

As your SIL’s doctor has recommended the gummies, I would be suggesting to your SIL to be making detailed enquiries of the doctor as to what s/he knows about the keto diets and the gummies; finding out why s/he has made this recommendation (is your SIL obese, have cancer, or epilepsy?); and will the doctor be closely monitoring your SIL’s health while she is doing the keto diet??

If the answers to any of the above questions are in the slightest doubtful (especially in relation to closely monitoring for adverse effects), I would be seeking another doctor’s opinion.

6 Likes

Constantly clobbered on screen for these lollies. If the worked, doctors wld hv shouted it at me. I trust very little in line about weight loss bcz most is expensive rubbish, AND if you buy, check yr credit card closely for the next six months - you may hv to cancel and get a new number when you see charges you did not make with international conversion costs!
I’ve been “done” from Mexico , Spain, a cargo vessel moored if Mauritius and a brothel in Luxembourg!! Be very careful buying diet junk in line.

2 Likes

I see there has been an earlier post on this. Maggie Beer seems to be promoting it. Does anyone have any news about this please?
Thanks
John B
Perth WA

1 Like

Interesting information

Wonder if Maggie Beer knows she is promoting Keto Gummies?

2 Likes

Many thanks.

1 Like

Yes, and I have moved your post to that topic.

If you read the preceding posts you will see that the gummies are of doubtful benefit.

As @Monica_D insinuated, very often images of celebrities are harvested and used in ads without the celebrities’ knowledge.

I hope you didn’t click on any ad next to a social media feed. They often lead to malware, scam, rip off, and con sites.

4 Likes

It is a scam product, see

If you value your health and your wallet, it is strongly recommended purchases are not made and any advertising is reported to the platform showing any such advertising.

4 Likes

I cannot believe that any Doctor would recommend these. It makes no sense. Perhaps they were recommending the Keto diet which does work and can be a lifestyle change rather than a short term diet.

2 Likes

Yes she knows and has made statements to the effect that she has nothing to do with it and would nevr recommend it. It does not stop the spammers from spamming and scamming.

4 Likes

Thank you for that timely warning.

2 Likes

Please see my post above. Having trawled the research, I could find no valid research evidence anywhere reputable that keto diets work for weight loss. They may work if you are a child and have epilepsy, or are in a specific subset of cancer patients.

1 Like

I imagine anything would work if portion controlled .
From what I have read Keto is not a great healthy balanced diet either.
Suggest you ask Chef Pete Evans for a qualified reply on this LOL

2 Likes