Kawasaki Motors Pty Ltd - Ninja ZX-10R, ZX-10RR and ZX-10R SE Motorcycles MY2019-2020 Recall

A recall notice for Ninja ZX-10R, ZX-10RR and ZX-10R SE Motorcycles MY2019-2020 supplied by Kawasaki Motors Pty Ltd as the Engine Control Unit (ECU) programming may cause the engine to after fire when the Kawasaki Quick Shifter (KQS) function is used under heavy engine load (high rpm and throttle opening over 50%).
This may cause the air suction valves to become deformed and/or broken. Continued use of the motorcycle with this condition may also damage surrounding parts.

Kawasaki Motors Pty Ltd - Ninja ZX-10R, ZX-10RR and ZX-10R SE Motorcycles MY2019-2020

PRA No.

2020/18351

Date published

3 Jun 2020

Campaign number

DAJ883A

Product description

Ninja ZX-10R Motorcycles
Ninja ZX-10RR Motorcycles
Ninja ZX-10R SE Motorycles

Kawasaki Model Codes: ZX1002EKFA, ZX1002ELFA, ZX1002GKF, ZX1002HKF

Model Years 2019-2020

54 affected motorcycles

Photograph of Ninja ZX-10R Motorcycle (Clutch Side)

Photograph of Ninja ZX-10R Motorcycle (Throttle Side)

Identifying features

VIN (Vehicle identification number)

See attached VIN lin

VIN list.xlsx (9.87 KB)

What are the defects?

The Engine Control Unit (ECU) programming may cause the engine to after fire when the Kawasaki Quick Shifter (KQS) function is used under heavy engine load (high rpm and throttle opening over 50%).
This may cause the air suction valves to become deformed and/or broken. Continued use of the motorcycle with this condition may also damage surrounding parts.

What are the hazards?

If this occurs, there is an increased risk of fire or accident and injury to the rider or other road users.

What should consumers do?

All affected consumers will be advised by mail to contact an Authorised Kawasaki Dealership to arrange a time to have a modification completed free of charge.

For further information, consumers are urged to contact their nearest Authorised Kawasaki dealer by using the following link: http://kawasaki.com.au/dealer-locator/

Supplier

Kawasaki Motors Pty Ltd

Traders who sold this product

Kawasaki Authorised Dealers

Where the product was sold

Nationally

Dates available for sale

• 3 December 2018 - 25 May 2020

Responsible regulator

Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications is the responsible regulator for this recall.