Karcher floor cleaner for wood & tiles

I’m not sure if a steam cleaner is sufficient or should I invest in the top of the range?

I strongly suggest you don’t use a steam cleaner on timber floors. It is worth reading this…

https://www.consumerreports.org/steam-mops/why-you-shouldnt-use-steam-mop-on-wood-floors-a4257122605/

Steam (moisture) can significantly impact on the floor causing irreversible damage.

4 Likes

Worth a read, just note some of the review content is restricted to those with a Choice membership.

Our experience with steam mops, we’ve used them in several homes has produced varying successes and failures. In one brand new and modern home tiled slab on ground the grout began to fail after 5 years of regular cleaning. Not warrantable supposedly due to an exclusion in the contract of sale. In an older home which had used a different type of grout we had no such problem.

Solid timber floors are an expensive feature. They are expensive to repair and more so to replace! Caution advised. We do not use one on our timber flooring. Neither the 150 year old pine nor more modern T&G.

4 Likes

For good quality wooden floors you must NOT use a steam cleaner, but there are a number of models of combined vacuum washers precisely for this job.
They are called vacuum mops or hard floor cleaners - This is one of the Karcher ones - Karcher FC7 Cordless Floor Cleaner There is also a Bissell one.

I have been asking CHOICE for over four years to test these but for some reason they keep doing steam cleaners.

5 Likes

thanks for your advice

2 Likes