Junk E-mails, Telemarketing, Banks!

I have started asking the inevitable human telemarketer who gets the call for their corporate phone number. The response so far has been 100% an immediate hang-up. Disclaimer: I do not have caller-ID on my landline and do not get a lot of junk calls, but am able to continually reduce the few I receive to even fewer.

2 Likes

I set up a password with Telstra a few years ago. The purpose of this is that in order to call me they have to give that password to prove themselves; similarly, when I call Telstra to make any changes to my account or to ask any questions they demand the password.

The only problem with this arrangement is that Telstra staff have no idea about it! They can find the password when prompted, but otherwise totally ignore it (and largely don’t even seem to know about the functionality); making the entire arrangement pointless from an account security perspective.

Yeah… no. I understand the principle behind lying, but am not very good at it. (Or am I lying to you in saying that?) Seriously, though, I am not comfortable with trickery and/or deceit - which can be very frustrating.

1 Like