June 2022 Food Challenge Champion: Favourite Ice Cream Flavour (and Brand)

Ben and Jerry’s hands down because so many flavours my favourite is Netflix and chill.

3 Likes

Is that the one that you have to scroll through hundreds of choices to find and then discover that it is nothing like the description?

4 Likes

Ben & Jerry’s: Chunky Monkey or Cherry Garcia. Both are difficult to find in stores in AU for some reason.

4 Likes

Has to be Golden North and Vanilla for me

5 Likes

South Australia only?
I wonder how many other similar small producers there are across the nation? Aussie owned and operated a bonus.

For those in SE QLD and Northern NSW - Home Ice Cream was my mum’s favourites. Their version of a choc coated vanilla ice cream on a stick.

2 Likes

The Golden North website lists interstate stockists. It seems to be mostly sold at IGAs outside SA
Interstate Stockists - Golden North

Home Ice Cream operated in SA too, but much prefer Golden North

3 Likes

Thanks, the link lists a number of local IGA’s, Drakes and FoodWorks. We don’t live near the last 2. I’ll make a point to look a little more intently for Golden North products in our Local IGA which is in on the list.

3 Likes

A bit more reading!
https://goldennorth.com.au/about-us/golden-north-history/

4 Likes

TipTop boysenberry, only problem can’t get it. They used to sell it here under a different brand.
R

6 Likes

Favourite flavour is a toss-up between chocolate and rum&raisin. So why not have a scoop of each ?

On a stick, I’m always drawn back to the childhood favourites: Pine Lime Splice and Golden Gaytime.

5 Likes

Connoisseur, just about any flavour.

3 Likes

Absolutely has to be, if an Aussie brand (preferably) Sara Lee Ultra Chocolate; taste like good old fashioned Ice Cream used to…minimal ingredients and just the taste is heavenly. If a non Aussie made brand, Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Brownie. Both remind me of eating ice cream on a warm southern US day at my grandparents in New Mexico.

4 Likes

I love ice cream! However I have developed an allergy to wheat and you can imagine my horror when I discovered almost all ice cream contains wheat! There are a few gluten free varieties, including Peters Original Chocopolitan Ice Cream which is a mixture of chocolate, vanilla and vanilla choc chip. It has become my secret indulgence :ice_cream:

4 Likes

I doubt that is so. However you can avoid the problem by making your own.

It depends on the ingredients. Many manufactured ice creams have glucose syrups and maltodextrin as sweeteners, both can be sourced from wheat and there are risks if contamination.

Many icecreams now have cookies, crunchy things or other ingredients which can contain wheat products.

Contamination from wheat products can also come at the point if serving, where cones/wafers are used.

The risks are real to those who can’t have wheat or wheat based ingredients in their diets.

4 Likes

Of course but I was doubting that statement that almost all icecream contains wheat. For those with coeliac disease here are the remarks from Coeliac Australia

1. The majority of wheat derived glucose (at least 90%) contains no detectable gluten.
  2. Less than 10% of wheat derived glucose might contain up to 10ppm of gluten (extremely low levels).
  3. The properties of glucose syrup change when protein (e.g. gluten) levels higher than 15ppm are present; it becomes unusable for food manufacturing.
  4. Glucose syrup is only one of many ingredients in manufactured foods and will comprise a maximum 50% of a product (usually much less) i.e. it is further diluted.
  5. Food items that contain wheat glucose are not staple food items that are consumed in large quantities on a regular basis, further reducing any potential risk.
1 Like

Just check the ingredients! I am not coeliac, just have a very bad reaction to wheat and wheat products. A great majority of ice creams contain wheat, eg from list of Connoisseur Classic Vanilla Ice Cream Tub:

Allergen

Contains Soybean, Contains Wheat, Contains Milk

5 Likes

It also states…

CA understands that sensitivity to gluten varies amongst those with coeliac disease; the choice to consume products containing glucose syrup remains individual. While CA considers any potential risk to be negligible, adequate medical follow up is recommended for all people with coeliac disease to ensure effective disease management.

As indicated above, wheat based glucose is only one of many ingredients or sources of wheat potentially present in ice cream. Coelic Australia for many ingredients where there are potential risks indicate they should be avoided, unless they are confirmed to be gluten free.

As indicated by @sydneydowers, labelling of some icecreams list wheat as a potential allergen and one should consider such icecreams as potentially containing wheat and/or its constituent components.

3 Likes

At IGA in Cleveland (Redland Bay) they sell a brand called Lick, and the French Vanilla reminds me of the little bucket ice cream we got in the 1950’s. A very creamy ice cream. But it is twice the price of most ice creams $12. It is almost frozen cream. I break up crispy (NOT soggy) Anzac biscuits and sprinkle them over the ice cream. I also make a toffee with demerara sugar and butter into a saucepan, tip it onto bake paper to cool then hit it with a meat mallet to shatter it into small flakes and spread that over the ice cream.

4 Likes

Can’t beat Connoisseur when it’s half price, Cafe Grande is my favourite flavour so far.

4 Likes