June 2022 Food Challenge Champion: Favourite Ice Cream Flavour (and Brand)

:ice_cream: :icecream:

Everyone I know likes ice cream. While it might not be the healthiest food in the fridge, it is enjoyed by most of us as a dessert or a treat. It can be bought on a stick, in a tub or at a food outlet scooped onto a cone.

For the June Food Challenge Champion, tell us your favourite Ice Cream Flavour (and its brand if you have one).

For the May 2022 Food Challenge, @vax2000, @Gaby and @phb congratulate @TGouldie @iam_61 @jen @Bubblinky @debera and @Faith for their contributions. You have been awarded the Food Champions Badge.

7 Likes

My favourite flavour is chocolate .

4 Likes

My favourite is Bulla Classic Vanilla ice cream, Vanilla because it can be transformed into many other flavours that I can serve as a dessert/sundae.
One very popular way is: ladyfingers biscuits soaked in a strong black coffee, vanilla ice cream scooped on top, sprinkled with nuts and dusted with dark cocoa powder.
On a stick my favourite is Magnum Salted Caramel, I have enjoyed it in many countries around the world, the price is similar to here and I can be sure of the quality :laughing:

10 Likes

Nothing so good as to being liked by nearly everyone. :wink:
Of course it is now winter. I was hopeful of a more warming eat in the hand option. Chiko roll, sweet berry crepe, bahaji, takoyaki, etc. Ice cream it is then, perhaps for another challenge?

My preference given the weather - rum and raisin (with emphasis on one of the ingredients), mango sorbet, or anything with a tropical flavour to bring back the feelings of warm tropical nights and 35C as the sun slowly dips below the horizon. Perhaps winter isn’t so bad after all.

7 Likes

Not at all! :laughing:
In the southern states we are well furnished with central heating etc.,
ice cream is a year round treat.
Just last night I got stuck into my Bulla ice cream container to finish it off as a dessert!

5 Likes

Golden North!! Tubs of Rum & raisin, and Vanilla - plus Honey Giant Twins.

And a special mention for Weis bars: Mango & macadamia (and with decades old memories from my time in Queensland, of the original Fruito…).

7 Likes

Mostly I make my own as I have plenty of fresh eggs. I make the traditional custard type that goes in an ice-cream mixer and semifreddo which does not require such a thing. If you have never made your own; semifreddo is really easy and almost foolproof whereas the custard can go wrong if you mess up.

My favourite flavour is chocolate, made with good dark chocolate and cocoa powder. I also make vanilla when I am in a hurry and there is no chocolate in the house. One great benefit of DIY is you can control the flavour including limiting the sugar. Low fat, low calorie ice-cream that has good texture and flavour does not exist so it is always a limited treat.

My favourite may change as I am experimenting with a simulated Baileys Irish Cream flavour. The original booze is a sinful and addictive substance that has to be rationed. If I succeed I expect the ice-cream to be the same. May have to put a time lock on the freezer.

9 Likes

It’s Bulla Real Dairy Vanilla 2 litre for me. The flavour is good, helped by the use of fresh milk and cream, and can be used with just about any dessert, and goes great with Cottees caramel topping. It has a good structure, not too creamy, not too hard, which lasts well from first to last scoop. Finally, it doesn’t break the bank buying it.

5 Likes

My favourites are brands which have zero added sugar and are also lowest in carbohydrates.
Denada. Fit-Lato., FroPro keto scoop, Bisou and, for a higher carb variety Peters no sugar added vanilla.

Favourite flavours are vanilla, coffee, and rum & walnut. - top is “Denada espresso choc fudge”

6 Likes

At home, Vanilla, and then add canned or fresh fruit, or stewed apples is nice, maybe some sort of topping occasionally (I prefer Maple syrup) but at the moment we’ve got a box of Bulla’s Mini Frozen yoghurt on a stick.

Favourite scoop. If I can get two scoops, Macadamia for one and Boysenberry for the other, but generally Boysenberry is my go to.

On a stick, apart from the frozen yoghurt I actually like a Drumstick, mint choc.

But yes, I really should get back to making my own ice cream. I have an ice cream maker and believe me, home made really is the best.

6 Likes

Has always been my favourite - any flavour! The other SA Icons of icy goodness have long gone … Alaska, AMSCOL …

5 Likes

Mine has only been recent discovery and is Pepperberry and Leatherwood Ice cream from Van Diemens Land Creamery, just up the road from us. The ice cream has a lovely texture and similar to traditional Persian ice cream.

4 Likes

One thing I really like is vanilla ice cream with Milo sprinkled over it .

6 Likes

Goodness @phb, you’ve just reminded me of the delicious Bastani ice cream!
I’ll be heading down to Lygon street soon :grin:

4 Likes

Connoisseur Vanilla is my favourite.

4 Likes

Generous helping if said confection into a 1 litre pyrex jug - soften considerably with the assistance of microwave emissions, blend in Milo until it looks like its enough (always room for another spoonful it seems) - refreeze or just enjoy as a Milo thick shake.

5 Likes

A great memory of all things ice cream, Australia was dotted with dairies, and local milk/butter/cheese factories.

The classic Australian version of the American inspired milk bar served a select variety of malted milk shakes, spiders, and of course ice creams in a cone. Perhaps it is the memories of one’s long lost youth that made the ice creams and lime spiders they served taste extra special. Perhaps it was the seemingly cooler interior in a blazing Aussie summer that created the allure for that special treat. The perfect vanilla icecream.

Is part of the enjoyment of a great ice cream delivered by time, place and companionship? I’d say so. Although I know a few whose guilty pleasure is to empty a tub all on their own. :wink:

2 Likes

Heresy! Melting and refreezing ice-cream is sure to ruin the texture.

2 Likes

“Soften”, not melt … works fine if the confection technically meets the standard to be called ice cream. To be fair, if you choose to leave it soft you won’t get it through a straw either, but I’ve never made a thick shake that didn’t need a spoon :rofl:

6 Likes