Jam : What brand do you buy?

If it is labelled as a Jam it must comply with the legislation ie

"2.3.2—1 Name

This Standard is Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code – Standard 2.3.2 – Jam.

Note    Commencement:

This Standard commences on 1 March 2016, being the date specified as the commencement date in notices in the Gazette and the New Zealand Gazette under section 92 of the Food Standards Australia New Zealand Act 1991 (Cth). See also section 93 of that Act.

2.3.2—2 Definitions

Note In this Code (see section 1.1.2—3):

jam:

(a) means:

(i)         a product prepared by processing one or more of the following:

(A)        fruit;

(B)        concentrated fruit juice;

(C)       fruit juice;

(D)       water extracts of fruit; or

(ii)        such a product processed with sugars or honey; and

(b)        includes conserve; and

(c)        does not include marmalade.

2.3.2—3 Requirement for food sold as jam

(1) A food that is sold as jam must:

(a)      be jam; and

(b)      contain no less than 650 g/kg of water-soluble solids.

(2) A food that is sold as jam with the name of one or more fruits appearing in the labelling must be made from no less than 400 g/kg of those fruits [My highlighting].

2 Likes

This is a bit like the Food Oz definition of ‘ice cream’. Those that don’t have enough butterfat etc will be called something else and have the same images on the package as ice cream.

Sweetened fruit products that don’t have enough fruit will be called ‘spread’ or something similar with the same images on the package as jam.

3 Likes

We have a jam review on the way. Here’s a few shots from the taste test in the food labs today:

6 Likes

Looks like money for jam.

4 Likes

It’s a tough job but someone’s gotta do it. :wink:

Maybe try some wholemeal bread though, rather than that racist stuff. LOL.

4 Likes

Excitement!!!
Rose’s English Breakfast Marmalade, IXL strawberry and raspberry jam, Buderim ginger marmalade (which I´ll confess to eating with a spoon!).

We make grape jelly from our feral grape vines which grow sour grapes. No good for anything else, but AMAZING for jelly. We’ve run out of our stock this year and haven’t been able to find any grape jelly on the shelves at all!

4 Likes

I assume they are all strawberry jam…and look at the variation in colour…some look fresh exhibiting bright red colour (or is this colouring agents, food stabiliser or preservatives doing their work).

Others look not so appetising with a brownish tinge…maybe old or oxidised?

6 Likes

Sadly a Diabetic’s loss of job opportunity to be a CHOICE taste tester of Jams and Preserves, but to those lucky enough (or depending on the product quality unlucky) to be one I hope they all had a great time and that all the products were satisfactory at least.

7 Likes

Our jam taste test results are in:

7 Likes

It’s not too late! I have no family inheritance of jam making but have taken it up in retirement. Marmalade is dead easy and foolproof. Citrus are in season right now!

3 Likes

Great directions. I also tip the jars upside down for a few seconds when full because i was shown to do that by a friend. Any thoughts on whether this is useful?

1 Like

I can’t think of a benefit in doing this. It will coat the inside of the lid which will be messy when you open it. The way I described the jam sets in the jar and doesn’t get into the thread (mostly) or on the lid. Before anybody wonders how I get the hot jam perfectly into the jar I have to confess I don’t always. Once the jar is cool you can wash and dry the outside to remove any drips, before you put on the label.

2 Likes

Beerenberg is the only Strawberry Jam I’ll have. It’s by far the best tasting for me. It’s also family owned. You can also go to their farm and pick their strawberries during strawberry season ($5 per person, under 12s free). They also have a Provenance Pathway Tracker for all their products so you can see when it was made, who made it and where the ingredients came from.

6 Likes

Here’s 10 ways you can use jam beyond toast. Anyone tried any of these before?

6 Likes

Wow Jamdrops.

My late mother used to cook them for us when we were kids,

5 Likes

The eleventh is to add a small amount when making porridge…adds a subtle sweetness and flavor if one is getting tired of plain, unflavoured variety.

Honey, cinnamon etc can also be added as well.

5 Likes

Great tip!

4 Likes

Do you like plum sauce? The sweet, fruity, spicy sauce that goes so well with duck, pork, deep fried snacks, fried fish etc.

Most recipes start with ‘take one kilo of plums …’ and it takes a while after that. Perhaps you want it in 15 minutes, not an hour or hour and a half. This is how you cheat.

You have to start with good plum jam that is high in fruit and preferably a little tart along with the sweetness. If all you have is supermarket basic that is red and sweet then that’s the kind of sauce it will make. You can’t create flavours that don’t exist. If your jam lacks acid try adding 1 tsp lemon juice.

Ingredients

2/3 cup good plum jam
3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped small
2cm knob green ginger peeled and grated
a little oil
1 rounded dsp. good hoisin sauce (I like Lee Kum Kee)
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1/3rd tsp fresh 5 spice powder $$$
a dash chill powder or hot chilli sauce, or to taste
1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
corn flour

Method

In a small saucepan gentle fry the garlic and ginger in a little oil for a few minutes, stirring. Add the jam and melt it, add the other ingredients except the cornflour, plus half a cup of water. Incorporate the additions and return to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Bind it with a little cornflour and water, just enough to stabilise and thicken it not turn it into glue, return to the boil and cook out the flour for a couple of minutes. Serve warm. It will keep well in the fridge for a day or two.

This will make a strongly flavoured sauce, if you want it lighter add more water and possibly more cornflour.

$$$ If you have only had pre-prepared five spice powder make your own and keep it in a small sealed jar - it will knock your socks off. Only make small amounts so that you use it up and it stays fresh.

1 Like

A friend of mine makes ricotta filled ravioli topped with a strawberry or a raspberry jam sauce.
The ravioli are made of the usual pasta dough, but served as a sweet dessert.

2 Likes

My grandfather would have insisted that your “good cheese” (preferably really sharp and bitey) had to be eaten with a really good apricot conserve, preferably home made.

2 Likes