Issues with AGL's billing, meter reading, & customer service

Is there some reason that you don’t change to another retailer?

3 Likes

Hi Syncretic

One of the reasons - perhaps the main or , even, only major reason is that I keep reading horror stories about the problems that often seem to occur with such change overs. I’m planning to relocate within the near future. So, I don’t really want to run the risk of , possibly, bringing more trouble onto myself i.e. the kind that could come about due to changing energy companies. It’s been something that I was intending to look at a bit later.

Also, I would have to say that, until recently, AGL have been quite OK. I’ve been with them for many years. From what I’ve been able to gather, their prices were reasonable and any issues have been quickly resolved. But the wheels seem to be falling off the whole operation these days.

I would prefer to sort things out with them and I’m trying hard to do so. However, if it continues the way it is, I’ll have to change because I simply can’t devote any more time to it

4 Likes

In regard to going elsewhere, I have a couple of acquaintances who were involved in trades work - one a gas fitter - another an electrician. They seem to be of the opinion that Diamond Energy and / or Tango / Pacific Hydro might be worth a try ?

3 Likes

I changed twice over the years. The first time was to AGL and the second time was from AGL because they broke trust and demonstrated continued administrative incompetence and corporate arrogance. Nothing has changed from the many posts on the net. Their problem is cultural and systemic, not a once off irritation from what I can tell.

The utilities would truly love to have their customers fearful of changing, but reality is it is essentially filling out a form accurately, knowing when the changeover will occur, and watching for improper billing across the changeover. That is a once off whereby jousting with AGL might be an ongoing problem.

Just do it! Regardless of who you look to change to, ringing your selected trustworthy retailers for quotes is often a better outcome than relying on internet proforma offers or comparison sites. Know what offers are available and use it to negotiate.

6 Likes

As @PhilT suggests.

Changing retailer supplier is not about the power being cut off. They need to send an electrician to do that at great expense. Every time we have moved 4 times in previous 3 years there has always been power available for the next customer. This include one move where we on the day adopted a supplier different to the prior owner. Zero issues.

AGL who we use now will over the phone agree an end date and arrange a final reading. They only need a couple of days notice, but may suggest otherwise. You simply need to have in advance arranged with a new supplier to start a new service to you on the same day. The hour of day has never been required.

It might be wise to read your meter on the day and keep a record. The new provider will also have a record of the commencement reading for the new account to back you up.

AGL will need to resolve the past consumption and billing for the final bill. If they don’t or can’t there appears to be plenty of good advice in prior posts on who to pass the problem to.

We have had AGL on two properties with no issues in QLD, although we are looking at our options, given we now live in an area with contested supply.

5 Likes

Thanks BBG & Mar-M

Yes, a change of supplier may be a necessity now. As I mentioned above, I’ve tried hard to sort out the ongoing problems with AGL but the situation is getting worse rather better. It’s turning into a daily time wasting activity and I really have to move on. I’ll do a bit more research into those companies that have been suggested to me.

Thanks again

6 Likes

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Choice Transformer service is ending in June 2019. Therefore you will no longer be able to sign up to use it.

You could also sign up to the Choice Transformer service and see what they can offer in regards to a better deal.

6 Likes

As it may be a metering issue, another gas supply retailer may also estimate bills. Before taking the final jump and changing, it may be worth checking the estimated bill policy/clauses in agreements with the prospective retailer.

It may also be worth asking if they allow for meter reading to be phoned in if more than two bill cycle or monthly estimates are given…also it may be worth changing to quarterly bill cycle and putting the money for past monthly bills aside to cover the quarterly bill. Changing to quarterly may reduce the incidence of future (over)estimated bills.

Otherwise you may just be shifting to a new retailer, but have the same problems.

5 Likes

Thanks grahroll

I’ll check that out

Cheers

4 Likes

Afternoon Everyone

Yet another update.

I detailed all of my complaints in an email to AGL. Sent Monday.

Have just got a message from someone there wanting me to call in order to discuss the issues. In view of the numerous and utterly pointless calls and online chats that I have already been through and, considering, that I am about to go to the Ombudsman, I’m just wondering if I should get involved in any more phone conversations. Might be better to insist that they reply in writing ?Cheers.

5 Likes

One of the reasons I’m persisting with all this is that , having just spent five years working as the carer / advocate for a frail aged person, I feel that those us who are able to take a stand in these situations should do so on behalf of those who can not “defend themselves”. From what I read around the internet, the problems that I’m having are common, widespread, ongoing and, indeed, getting worse.

Anyway, here’s the email …

Unfortunately, I have been experiencing a number of ongoing issues with both my AGL gas and electricity accounts – all of which still seem to be happening despite the fact that I have brought them to your attention on several occasions.

With this being the case, there doesn’t appear to be much point in having any further dealings with your Customer Solutions team via phone calls and / or your online chat facility. So, I now have to take the next step which involves lodging a formal complaint. If we are still unable to resolve these matters after you have responded to this communication then I will have to move on, yet again, to the Energy Ombudsman – something that I don’t particularly want to do.

I am specifically contacting you on this occasion in the hope that you may be able to clarify a number of points. Also, I have to make you aware of certain facts in regard to my account.

The specific issues that we need to discuss are as follows :

Wrong Supply Address :

For some unknown reason, the supply address, as stated on both my gas and electricity accounts ,was recently changed and it no longer matches my billing address. Both should (and have always been) the same i.e. (address supplied)

The last bills that I got on which this information was correctly stated were back in June of this year. Since then, the supply address on both the July and August gas and electricity bills has suddenly been changed to (address supplied)
As I have already pointed out to AGL, there is no such address. I raised this matter, for about the third time, during an online chat that took place on Wednesday of this week ( August 15) and I was assured that the error would be corrected. Yet, when I checked my account page on your website yesterday (Sunday, August 19) the only address that seems to be shown is (address supplied)

I need to make it clear that if the postal address on my account is also, incorrectly, changed I can not be held responsible if any bills are delivered to the wrong property and go unpaid as a result of this situation.

A few questions in regard to this matter :

(1) Why has the supply address been changed to that of a neighboring property with which I have no connection what so ever ?

(2) Who would have changed it ?

(3) For what reason would they have changed it ?

(4) Why hasn’t the mistake been corrected ?

(5) Can you confirm if the property at No. (address supplied) is an AGL customer ?

(6) Is it possible that the database of either AGL or your meter reading company has been corrupted ?

Direct Debit Withdrawals :

During the aforementioned online chat ,I was advised that there was a credit of approximately $100 owing to me due to previous over charging - the result of an estimated bill. I usually get you to deduct any such amounts from my next monthly account. But , as I have several major expenses coming up over the next couple of weeks, I asked the customer service person if it would be possible, on this occasion, for the money owing to be paid into my bank account as a cash refund. And that was the only request that I made - a one off transfer. In order to arrange this, I had to provide my bank details which I did.

On Thursday (August 16) I got a text message advising me that payment for all future monthly bills will now be automatically withdrawn via direct debit from the bank account that I nominated (See attachments 008 - 012) .In regard to this point, you need to be aware that the account in question is a weekly cash account that is only used for ATM withdrawals. As such, it never contains any more than single, temporary deposits of petty cash (rarely exceeding more $100). Furthermore, it should be noted that, at no point during our discussion did I indicate that I wanted to pay all (or any) future bills via direct debit nor have I made any such requests or applications to do so via your website.
As soon as I received the text message I logged onto my account and cancelled the direct debit option (See attachments 013 & 014)

Estimated and Reversed Monthly Gas and Electricity Accounts :

Having reviewed all the gas bills that I have received since January of last year – a total of nineteen accounts – it appears that fourteen of these were based on estimates and only five on actual meter reads. Between June and November of last year I was sent five estimated bills back to back. Of the eight bills that I have received since January of this year, it seems that just two of them have been based on actual reads. Clearly, this over reliance on estimated billing consistently results in the imposition of charges that do not reflect my true usage and, as such, are unacceptable.

The issuing of estimated accounts since January , 2017 has resulted in overcharging to a total value of $461 – 13 (according to AGL’s own calculations as detailed in the form of credits that have been applied to various monthly accounts that I have received). Although I acknowledge that AGL has, indeed, passed on these credits to me, I trust that the the company would, likewise, acknowledge that such ongoing discrepancies should not be occurring.

Obviously, having to make the initial payments in situations where inaccurate and excessive charges have been applied can cause significant and unnecessary financial stress to many customers. Surely, all of us should be able to rely on the accuracy of bills, being confident in the knowledge that such accounts reflect our true usage of the relevant services.

As far as I’m aware, there are no issues, what so ever, in regard to getting access to the meter. It has always been located in the same place – on the front wall of my unit at ground level, right next to a wide driveway that runs from the front (street entrance) of the block all the way down to the back of the property. There are no security gates, dogs or vehicles parked in front of it at any time. Indeed, it is located in a ”no parking” area.

In view of the above, I need to ask you the following questions :

(1) How frequently should the meter be read ?

(2) How frequently is it actually being read ?

(3) Is there any reason why it can not, for example, be read, at least, quarterly i.e. four times a year ?

(4) Why am I receiving so many estimated bills and so few that are based on my actual usage ?

(5) As I understand, the amount that’s payable on an estimated bill is determined by how much had been charged at the end of the same billing period during the previous year. Is that correct ?

(6) If the answer to the above question is “yes”, then how is it that my gas bill for July of this year was $202.26 compared to $117.83 last year, bearing in mind that my average daily usage was, apparently, 37.42 MJS less on this occasion than it was last time around ?

(7) Does your supply charge include the cost of having someone come out to read the meter ? Needless to say, I don’t want to be paying for a meter reading service that I am not getting. Indeed, if this is the case, then, surely, I should be reimbursed for any such services that I have paid for but have not received.

I understand that estimated gas bills may be necessary at certain times throughout the year and that because I have an older style, traditional meter that actual readings can only be taken by an inspector visiting the property.

However, I’m puzzled as to why I have received nine electricity bills over the past year that have also included credits – apparently due to overcharging. How can this be happening when I have a smart meter which, as I understand, is meant to be providing completely accurate, remotely monitored information around the clock, seven days a week ?

In an effort to eliminate the constant cycle of overcharging and the issuing of adjustments, I feel that it may be worthwhile if I start to read my own meter. To do this, however, I will need to advised of the dates on which this should be done. I assume it would normally be a day or so before the end of each billing period. As I recall, one of your customer service people recently suggested that I should read the meter on September 2nd and upload the information via my account page at your website on the same day. I would appreciate it if you could confirm this information for me.

I look forward to your response in regard to the above matters

Thanks for your time

7 Likes

Well done @baysider, we know it’s time consuming and annoying to make a complaint, but we feel it is important those who are willing to go through as well.

Regarding the call, it’s up to you whether you decide the situation has reached a stalemate. Personally, I’d take the opportunity to talk to them, and be ready to write everything down and negotiate. They may offer some resolutions due to the escalation that weren’t on the table before, and in terms of the process, you are likely to be no worse off seeing as though you are about to speak to the ombudsmen anyway.

Good luck :+1:

7 Likes

Hi Brendan,

I suppose you’re right.

Although I didn’t make it clear that I wanted a written reply, I did send the email with a request for a “read receipt” which I haven’t, as yet, got back. And that seems to suggest they may be adopting an approach along the lines of “don’t put anything in writing”. … or, is as perhaps more likely … they’re getting so many complaints and threats… they just “haven’t got time to write”. Maybe postcards would be the way to go… "Having a wonderful time in the AGL Customer Alienation Department … Wish you were Here "

I feel like I’m dealing with one of those guys who used to pop out from doorways as you were walking around King’s Cross after dark back in the 1970s. “Hey mate, 'dyu wanna buy a watch” ? In fact, you probably would have been far less likely to get duded… dealing with one of those guys they you would doing business with AGL.

Anyway… win, lose or draw. Their electricity prices seem to be going through the roof. So, I think I’ll move on as a matter of course. An alternative gas supplier might be a touch more difficult to find

6 Likes

Final update for the time being.

AGL did get back to me but really just “made a statement” rather than providing specific answers to the specific questions that I asked.

The supply address and contact / billing address have now been changed back to the way they were i.e. correct and matching.

They assured me that the gas meter IS being read four times a year. But, obviously, that doesn’t check out with either (a) the five estimated bills that I got back to back between June and November of last year or (b) the seven estimates that I have got so far this year.

Anyway, in an effort to break the constant cycle of guess-timates, over charging and adjustments, we have (seemingly !) agreed that I will read my own meter from now on and they have told me the dates on which this should be done. Needless to say, I remain decidedly skeptical as to whether or not this will solve my problems. Still, I can but try.

In other news, I have signed with Tango (formerly Pacific Hydro) for electricity. No idea what they will be like. But they seem to be about the only electricity company that doesn’t get uniformly appalling reviews on both Google and the Product Review website (maybe they haven’t been trying hard enough !!). At least, the sign up procedure was handled quickly and efficiently. Their pricing info and agreements are very straightforward and they appear to be much cheaper than AGL - with prices locked in for two years… at least that’s the “come on”.

Unfortunately, as mentioned previously, finding a reasonable, alternative gas supplier, seems to be a bit more of a challenge. And, again, most of them appear to get utterly dreadful reviews … everywhere !

So, early days with Tango. But if it goes OK and if they, eventually, include gas, I’ll probably buy that from them as well

Having both electricity and gas with AGL was just too much trouble. It’s literally been a full time job trying to sort out the on-going shambles over recent months. So, if nothing else, I have, hopefully, reduced my own stress level by 50% now that the electricity has gone elsewhere . And, with luck, I might be able to get away from AGL … completely within the near future

4 Likes

Thanks for the update @baysider. Getting the address right is a move in the right direction and it will be interesting to see if doing your own reads helps improve the overcharging too :+1:

4 Likes

If you are in their service area give Red a check. Their reviews can be iffy but I have been with them for 11 years for electricity and gas, never had a billing or any other problem with them. In my area (NE Melbourne) their gas plan is stand-alone and at the lower end of the spectrum.

3 Likes

It appears that you have received some resolution with AGL which is good news on your part and also AGLs.

Keep us posted on how your meter reading phone ins and bill cycles go to see if AGL has held up their side of the agreement.

4 Likes

Brendan : Indeed. As I said to the CS person … “I’ll believe it when I see it”

3 Likes

Thanks BBG. I’ll check them out. Really just want to get away from AGL … completely now. It’s been a nightmare.

3 Likes

PHB : Will do. I’m not in the mood to get prematurely excited about anything at the moment when it comes to energy suppliers. They all tend to start off OK.

3 Likes