Is the $29 Kmart pie maker worth buying?

It’s cheap, versatile and cooks in under 15 minutes, so it’s no porky pie to say that we thought this machine would be a good option for no-fuss cooks.

How do you cook your pies?

3 Likes

“It’s the budget appliance that has sent Australians into a pie-cooking frenzy.” Really? Is this real or pie in the sky advertising?

7 Likes

I see your point but there’s definitely an unusual amount of interest in this pie maker, and it seems people are using it for more than just pies. A few people have even shared their recipes with us. While I don’t use the appliance myself, I saw that one group on Facebook specific to the Kmart pie maker now has over 159,000 members.

6 Likes

Hmm, a pie maker… who’d have thought there was a requirement for such a thing! I make my own pies in the various sized pie dishes I have and bake them in the oven. This sounds like a completely unnecessary kitchen appliance shelf space waster!

8 Likes

A lot of people have suggested that muffin tins can do the same job. Then again, everyone also seems to really love pies so perhaps it’s more that the pie maker creates a better excuse to get cooking :grin:

7 Likes

Call me a cynic, but I expect to see them appearing at garage sales and op shops within a year.

8 Likes

You don’t have to be a cynic…I had thought the same thing. We have received similar products in the past (waffle maker, crepe maker) as gifts and the novelty soon wore off…and they were given away to friends to also give them a go…I know the crepe maker was handed on again but haven’t asked about the waffle maker (we don’t eat waffles).

7 Likes

Perfect! :yum:

For a party pie, only making just four at a time still seems like the a poor solution, however,
”creating lightly golden snack-sized pies in under 15 minutes.”
Could just be a little less energy intensive than using the big oven. Or still OK for those who choose not to use an oven or are happy substituting technology for basic cooking skills.

Unlikely to find a place in our house. It’s usually large home made family size pies. More filling less pastry if that is a healthier outcome.

Plan B is the bakery 2 minutes down the road and a range of adult sized pies including a great lentil and curry. Pies in five minutes, quantity subject to the time of day and weekly budget!

Noted Kmart are supposedly going to offer a large size pie version. Assume that means typical bakery size with one pie per serve but only two pies per maker?

8 Likes

A little bit of puff pastry, some left overs or stewed apple (the sky is the limit) and the Kmart pie maker turns them into excellent pies and a few minutes. Recommended … absolutely - and all for $29 (providing you can get one as new stock sells out very quickly).

6 Likes

I have one and we can’t live without it now. I never do big batches but I put left overs in them and makes pies for freezing. We find the portions good as then we usually have salad on vegetables on the side with them. Great for the portion control and you can use many different things as the ‘pastry’ so you can be healthier or cater more for intolerance etc. It’s not just pies that can be cooked in them. We do breakfast too, bacon cups with a poached egg, or just poached eggs and other cups have mushrooms. if we feel like a quick healthier snack such as an apple pie, we can easily make them just by using chopped up apples (microwaved first to soften) so there’s no added sugar etc. It’s all pretty much done quicker than making an excess batch in the oven. I’ve made healthier option scrolls for my daughter’s lunch, mini omelettes. I guess we aren’t huge eaters so it’s handy for us.

7 Likes

I was sceptical (I still remember Friendly Frank’s pies) until my wife made pies with a red wine beef filling; real meat, no gristle and so good it didn’t need tomato sauce. Certainly worth the effort of finding a bit of storage space for it.

4 Likes

I heard of it as a cult classic and looked into it. Now I have one. We don’t eat many pies but I love it. Here in Qld we don’t want the oven on heating up the house. It actually doesn’t take up much room in the cupboard and makes brilliant pies. It cooks them in 7 minutes as opposed to a lot longer in the oven. It also makes many other things such as frittatas and “poached” eggs. Non stick, easy clean. Great for leftovers. Quite sturdy. For $29 it is a no brainer. K Mart frequently sells out. Made some with german visitors recently. They want one.

4 Likes

But it doesn’t heat up the kitchen like an oven, especially in summer, and it saves energy.

3 Likes

True for most, except in our case we are entirely off-grid solar powered and I carry the oven/microwave out to the veranda if it is too hot and I want to bake a pie or bread. In the cooler months it helps heat the house :grin:

1 Like

New Kmart pie maker has been reviewed:

4 Likes

Only problem with KMart pie maker is the sides and front section on the white plastic Go brown stained. Not happy with this. Does anyone else have the same problem ?

1 Like

Hi @Happyours1, welcome to the community.

I have moved your post to an existing thread about the Kmart pie makers, and whether they are worth buying.

Thanks for letting us know the plastic casing stains readily. I suspect it is from some use (rather than one use). If you have used the pie maker a lot, it would be very useful to get your thoughts on the pies it makes…say the types you have made and how they turned out.

In relation to staining, we have had sandwich makers in the past which the white plastic casing discoloured after some use. It possibly is the type of plastic which discolours due to hear or stains from oily or dark food residues.

2 Likes

We have a pie maker which hasn’t discoloured yet, possibly due to cooking different fillings into the pies.

I would not be surprised if ours does discolour at some point, due to the fact that it was cheap, and the materials are no doubt not in the high quality range.

Given it’s price point it’s a remarkable little machine, so if it does discolour, or break we will be buying another one.

2 Likes