Is it alright to dress our pets?

Putting clothes on an animal is not something every pet owner would do,
except for keeping them warm or dry.
But recently pet fashion has progressed from practical to amusing: the sunglasses, and the football jersey, the little tiara, and the glitter studded collar.
Might be fun to do, and amusing to watch, but extra cover over their fur could get them overheated, or cause skin irritation, or make them uncomfortable and stressed.

11 Likes

I hate the notion of dressing animals up. Its just undignified, and as you say, probably not healthy for them

8 Likes

It’s an extension of the “pet as fashion accessory”. I’ve noticed a rise of stalls at our local markets peddling pet fashions, some home sewn and some bulk ordered from China. I don’t like the idea of dressing up an animal.

8 Likes

Nor do I, but sometimes a little modesty goes a long way.

There are Australian sources, but for the fashion aware this all leather outfit comes with great credentials. :wink:

5 Likes

I don’t either. I think it is the trend that pets often become part of the family and in some respects replace children in the family structure. The need to dress up pets potentially satisfies the urge to be parents and therefore able to exert their preferences, views or beliefs on something. As a pet can’t argue or answer back (don’t like that colour, it hurts when I wear it, it is too small etc), they become a easy surrogate to adopt.

I am sure that if a pet could talk, would they really say they appreciate being dressed in something more fitting for a human
many of the ‘clothes’ are poor fitting, look uncomfortable and could cause the animal some distress until such time they get used to it/accept this is their future.

Possibly not dressing up
I suspect that such devices may be almost mandatory in some local government jurisdictions to prevent the soiling of roads etc. How far we have come in the past 50-100 years since horses were put to pasture and other modes of transport took preference.

7 Likes

I see that this is a real product but in many years of attending gymkhanas, country shows, pony clubs etc I have never seen one used. I am reminded of a conversation some years ago when I mentioned that horses went by my house fairly often. I was asked where the horses did their business. I replied, wherever they want to as they normally do. The reply was “Ewwwwwww”.

Getting back on topic I wonder if such apparel causes rubbing or galling.

6 Likes

In colder weather I think a jumper or coat on animals is a very good idea. Not on cats but certainly on short-haired dogs when outdoors.

6 Likes

Our pets deserve our respect, they would be perfectly able to look after themselves, but we have ‘domesticated’ them and they now rely on us for their daily needs. They are usually submissive, maybe with the exception of cats who can be quite vocal in their dislike of something.

Horses have been decked out since a long time ago, especially when the horse drawn hearse was commonly used.
Even at present horse drawn wedding carriages look elegant: white carriage and on the horse white plumes and other white ornaments.
Maybe the tail bag could be useful on those occasions? :laughing:

6 Likes

Some cats don’t seem to care, but my Toby would not tolerate being made to look like a iitle vampire or whatever. And I think it’s offensive to the animals, myself. Respect goes a long way with cats.

4 Likes

They are commonplace and mandatory in cities. Have a look at the carriage rides and every horse will be so equipped.

3 Likes

The great majority of domesticated horses in Oz are in country areas followed by outer city suburbs where bags are not used. Bags are not used on Oz racetracks or at the Sydney Royal Easter Show. There was a move to introduce them in National Parks which AFAIK went nowhere. The only horses I have seen in the CBD of Oz cities are mounted police and they do not use them.

Perhaps there are some bagged horses in NY Central Park or pulling carriages around the parks in Amsterdam or London.

3 Likes

Not aware we were only discussing ‘the majority’.

Search ‘image horse carriages Australia’ and you will see them in the photos
 unlike most pollies I understand there is a world outside the metro areas, and they are different from the metro areas. Race tracks are also different from main roads

There was a move to ban the carriages in Melbourne - I am not sure how that went, or is going. There are some still operating.

2 Likes

It’s worth noting that the person in control of the horse in most LGA areas is required to pick up after.
I’ve noted owners in SE Qld around the outer burbs, occasionally using bags to avoid the need to clean up. It might depend on who’s observing. Are the bags an issue for the horse? There are always alternatives.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/southeast/brisbane-horse-riders-could-face-a-235-fine-if-they-do-not-pick-up-horse-manure/news-story/aa0b9f07272bcf7f68849b6272d3cc4e

On our rural part sealed mostly dirt road, it’s usual for the manure to be left where it’s deposited. Worth keeping an eye out for and avoiding when on the bike. Useful on parts of the garden, it can be full of weed seeds, and is better used in a hot compost that gets turned.

2 Likes

Toby sounds like a spunky cat! :grinning:

3 Likes

Sometimes
 mostly he’s inside, or guarding.

6 Likes

When I was shooting over my 2 gun dogs in the 1980’s and 90’ s they would both where a fluoro coat . The breed , Britannies , often referred to incorrectly as Britanny Spaniels although they are not a spaniel as the point and spaniels flush game , They are rather a small breed . My bitch measured 16 inches at the shoulder and my dog 17 inches . Their unique squatting style of pointing made them hard to see in longer grass .

The fluoro jackets made them visible to me . A good safety feature . It is also a French tradition , which I adhered to , to have 2 small bells attached to their collars so you could hear them moving around when they were hunting in thickets .

7 Likes

Toby is so beautiful, @SueW
Thank you for the pic :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I think it’s fine to dress our pets to protect them, @vax2000 :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

For an animal that was missing its natural fur/hair/feathers then it makes sense.
But the fashion of “dressing up” pets could certainly cause the adverse effects Gaby listed.

7 Likes

Thanks, Gaby!

4 Likes