Is anyone familiar with Senior Advantage?

Is anyone familiar with www.seniorsadvantage.org?

Full disclosure; National Seniors have tipped us off about them. While Senior Advantage would potentially be their competitor, there’s a legitimate question about whether Senior Advantage is real or just a low level scam.

National Seniors pointed out "the website advertises that you can save 75% on the price of membership at $19 instead of $99 for a one year but when you go the Terms and Conditions, the $19 is the normal price. Senior Advantage

This is a new website being advertised on Facebook and other social media in Australia and yet there are reviews that are many years old – are these genuine?

The organisation has a postal address in the US and the company operating the site, UAB Inulti is based in Lithuania and as per the terms and conditions, a limited liability company incorporated under the laws of Lithuania (company reg. No. 304419810) with a registered address at Vilniaus 31, Vilnius, 01402, Lithuania, European Union.

And there doesn’t seem to be any information about the CEO, Paul Smith."

**EDIT At the time the post was made in September 2020 UAB Inulti was listed as the operator on the site’s Terms of Service but since then the terms of service have changed and the owner now listed is Senior Advantage Deals LLC, Austin, Texas.

11 Likes

Beyond the CEO, there is no information about what it actually provides beyond a lightening of one’s wallet.

The services which Senior Advantage shall provide to you includesaccess to an online portal which provides deals and discounts dashboard, budgeting tool, 365-day personalized meal plan, best discounts list digital book and other related information and tools.

Nothing about what markets those discounts are available in, noting the website trades in $USD, and being a Lithuanian business payments could be processed anywhere to add those pesky 3% off shore and currency exchange fees to most cards.

So many questions, not an answer. Advertised on Facebook? My age may taint my opinion, but that alone makes me suspicious.

*Senior Advantage retains the right at any time and from time to time to **discontinue or modify, or temporarily or permanently terminate, *the Senior Advantage’s Web Site (or any part thereof) with or without notifying you. If Senior Advantage discontinues the Senior Advantage’s Web Site, Senior Advantage will not be liable to you or any third party for such discontinuance, modification or termination.

Simply put, they state that can take the money and run. Priceless, dodgy, and shonky at first glance, as well as second. Has anyone gotten to a third?

11 Likes

Because all seniors use Facebook?

Perhaps they did not think that one through very well.

7 Likes

How about this:

If you are not acquainted with, do not agree, do not understand or are not in par with the provisions of these Terms, please stop using the Website immediately, as continuous use of the Website might be considered as your consent to be bound by these Terms.

What does it mean?

Then there is the no responsibility for anything section of the T&Cs.

And how do they get to be registered as .org instead of .com?

6 Likes

It appears anyone can now register as an .org (vs .com or others) due to fairly recent relaxations. :frowning:

6 Likes

Looking through their website, it looks like they have used a template which they haven’t bothered to populate with information leaving the default text present. For example, look at https://seniorsadvantage.net/about-jim-davis, or https://seniorsadvantage.net/history.

7 Likes

The high-level domain .org is, and has always been, an open name available for anyone to register in their fully qualified names from the first days of the Internet and DNS.
Even more open than .com, and in contrast to .edu, .gov and .mil which are reserved for specific organisations.

5 Likes

Very professional :roll_eyes: , and footnoted by

Copyright © 2018 seniors advantage - All Rights Reserved.
6 Likes

That may have been the case in practice? I got my info from a Wikipedia entry, not always authoritative, that includes

It was one of the original domains established in 1985, and has been operated by the Public Interest Registry since 2003. The domain was originally intended for non-profit entities, but this restriction was removed in August 2019.

Thanks for the clarification.

5 Likes

And that same relaxation in the use and registration of high-level domain names has lead to a surge of commercial registry operations all with their own names. .icu, .info, .adult, .ing and hundreds more. I have to counter these with email filtering rules more often than I really think I should have to. :confounded:

2 Likes

Some of the sentences in the boilerplate get tens of thousands of hits. I think it is GoDaddy, who does templates and hosting.

1 Like

10 foot bargepole, no touchee! Lithuania is an immediate red flag for me, as are boilerplate websites. Its a scam.

7 Likes

It seem to suggest it partners with:

• Woolworths
  • Bunnings
  • Kmart
  • Amazon
  • Coles
  • Aldi
  • IGA
  • Chemist Warehouse

It claims that ‘Senior Advantage offers member-only access to a discounts program that enables members to get 10% to 70% OFF at many popular stores, restaurants and service providers.’ What makes it suspect is the Mobile App Shot indicates 50% of Woolworths/Coles, 70% off Aldi and 70% off Amazon. These sound very fishy in itself.

The other thing is doesn’t matter what options one puts into the ‘See If You Qualify to Join’, including age less than 50 and a false postcode, one gets congratulated and can join. Also sounds fishy. I might join (not) as I qualify for being a member and getting these very generous discounts. I wonder if the adage of ‘if it is too good to be true, it is a scam’ applies.

What our member say is appears fishy as it claims that it has been around since at least 2016. The language also seems like marketing talk rather than natural responses of random individuals.

All in all, it doesn’t look promising for being a legitimate company.

Maybe Choice could contact the above companies to see if they in fact have a relationship with Seniors Advantage. This may give the game away.

9 Likes

I actually joined, looked at their website and saw that they really were not deals. You could get the same prices for not being a member. I asked for a refund and had it within a couple of days. Don’t waste your time and money on them.

10 Likes

Hi @gnicholson.

It sounds as if you’ve paid a joining fee?

The business making a refund may not be cause for reassurance?

If the promised discounts were not evident on joining, this is dishonest (misleading and deceptive)?
Just how trust worthy are they?

P.S.
I’ve twice had just my Credit card details compromised, possibly while travelling. Sufficient for someone to attempt fraudulent OS use of the card number. In one instance the attempt failed because the user did not have the CCV number. VISA did not alert me. I had to work out there was some sort of a problem and contact VISA to act! My mobile received an SMS requesting authorisation of the transaction. Something I had not seen before or knew was possible.

In the other for a different card brand, the card provider was onto the attempt, but only as they knew I was not OS in Spain at the time. This triggered a world of personal pain not knowing what else may have been lost or compromised. Also the card was cancelled, leaving me to sort out the problems of a new card number!

I’m assuming Senior Advantage collect personal details if you choose to join.
In joining Credit Card details may have been provided or other payment details associated with the personal ID.

Hopefully you have taken steps to ensure your payment method has not exposed you to future unauthorised transactions. It would be prudent to contact your relevant financial institution if not done so already? Not all are as on the ball as my provider.

7 Likes

This is good advice. Continue to monitor purchases and potentially let your card issuer it may have been compromised. They may chose to issue you with a new card and transfer reoccurring payments to this new card.

Eastern European countries and Russia are renown for credit card fraud and as this ‘company’ has ties to Lithuania, the risks are very high that your card has been compromised.

8 Likes

I believe is a scam, tried them and pulled out as soon as could access the full information. SO many scams out there to “rip people off”. Items WAY overpriced and usually from US, plus not deliver what claiming to (in my opinion)

8 Likes

SCAM ! I saw their ad on a news page so I assumed it would be safe, it looked legit but I did google reviews and it came up as a scam. It appears best you You will get out of it are discounts that are available to everyone, you don’t have to pay to get them !

9 Likes