Is an online library subscription worth it?

There’s an individual who created a script to pull the freebies from Amazon (not the books, the titles and clicking on those will send you to Amazon.). It’s just as easy to get the Kindle app or just use their Cloud reader, as anything else. Hint: make use of the filters!

I don’t want to carry a multitude of different devices so I have apps for Kobo, Kindle, BorrowBox, Axis360 (which I prefer because you can sync between devices with that… iPhone and iPad for me) Apple’s Books, Libby and CloudLibrary. I also have other apps for free epubs (I almost always get epub where theres a choice but theres also a plethora of conversion tools available.

I’d also suggest joining MobileRead for general ebook discussions, and access to their library which has books formatted by members (because so often, the books available in places like Project Gutenberg are poorly done)

2 Likes

I like Scribd as they provide a bit of everything and are unlimited, unlike Amazon’s Audible. They have Ebooks, audio books, magazines etc.
You never “own” the book like Audible but once you read or listened to it you could borrow it again.

2 Likes

I don’t read fast enough! lol I barely get through the book I get from my bookclub. I know some people listen to their audio books but I fall asleep and cannot simultaneously work around the house and listen at the same time, like my daughter.

1 Like

I did the Amazon Audio books trial and trying to unsubscribe was so difficult as it was so complicated. Then there was an entire series of questions before I could quit. I still get emails from time to time asking me to resubscribe.

1 Like

I’ve used BorrowBox too, and there is an Apple version of available also. I too have become busy and also find physical books still more pleasurable to read. I seem to remember a “wish list” function on BorrowBox?

1 Like

I second that- scribd are good.

2 Likes

Why pay when you can join local Libraries? Here in Victoria you can join any of the state-wide groups if you are a Victorian resident: even those nowhere near where you live. Obviously that limits your hard-copy borrowing but it opens up a huge range of e-books & e-audiobooks. For example: I live in metropolitan Melbourne and belong not only to the library group in my local govt area but to 3 more groups in surrounding areas that are close and have branches reasonably close to my home (so I can borrow hard copy items). However, I belong to another 15 groups dotted all around the state, where I can borrow electronic items via Borrowbox, Overdrive, Hoopla & Libby (only as a phone app usually).

2 Likes

Could I suggest you investigate your local library. Australian libraries have very extensive ebook and eaudiobook sections and they cost nothing. Just join your local library and you will be eligible to access thousands of book.

2 Likes

As for several previous responders, I have joined multiple libraries, and I use the Audiobook/eBook functions at all of them. They don’t seem to require proof of residence anymore; most I just joined online. Libby (once Overdrive) and Borrow Box cover them all; I haven’t used Hoop-La. However, if you are interested in new releases and the hit parade list, then there can be long waiting lists and it can take months to get access to a particular title. However, I tend to be not so interested in the hit parade titles anyway so it does not bother me, but I must remember to click on “available now” if I am looking for something to read now …
I also subscribe to Kindle and Audible, but I tend to use those paid services for books that I want to keep (or that are not available in the libraries), and use the libraries for casual reading. Kindle also has the subscription - “Unlimited” $15pm for a large library of free reading. Kindle/Audible has the advantage of syncing, and having both audio and text for an item. This way I can switch between listening to audio or reading text, and it syncs between the 2 formats. For many books, if you purchase in Kindle, then Audible version can be added for a nominal cost. Audible also now has a monthly release of free items.

2 Likes

There’s definitely a wishlist function on Overdrive, they acquired several things from my wishlist for me

1 Like

Check with your local library for access to ebooks. I can “borrow” (ie download) 10 ebooks at a time from our local free Library.

2 Likes

And for research, in addition to the public Libraries, theres also the National Library which anyone can join. The emails from them make me wish I still lived in Canberra.

2 Likes

I use BorrowBox and also Libby, both free services from my local library. BorrowBox has only books and Libby has both books and a large range of magazines. All you need is a library membership.

1 Like

Anyone looking for free books (nonfiction) might want to take a look at the ANU collection at Search titles

1 Like