Intel NUC 10 Performance Mini PC review

If you’re looking for an ultra-compact alternative to an all-in-one desktop PC, you could be in luck with this NUC. Check out @SteveDuncombe’s review:

6 Likes

Does it have an operating system such as Windows installed, or is that extra?

4 Likes

I believe it comes with Windows 10 64-bit included

4 Likes

Thank you. I was thinking it would make a good data server with a multi hard drive dock attached.

4 Likes

I would expect the product pricing is the barebones RRP without memory, storage or OS.

One supplier’s pricing for the barebones box. ($949) i7 model.

(https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Branded-Systems/NUC-&-Mini-PC/82136-BXNUC10I7FNH4)

I could not locate a kit complete on line including SODIM, SSD and OS for the review price. Perhaps another $250 - $350 for Win10home+16GB ram+500GB SSD or M2 card.

I did find at least one bundle excluding OS for the lesser i5 CPU version and a 1GB WD SSD at a competitive price.

5 Likes

Best price retail in Australia on a Barebones kit ie a CPU but no RAM and no HDD/SSD was at Eyo for $878.97. This currently has an ETA in July of this year. $96 for a 16GB 2666 MHz SODIMM & $128 for the 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD so a total of $1,102 plus delivery so perhaps another roughly $100 (as all three parts need to come from different suppliers to get those prices maybe $30 or so if bundled from 1 supplier but parts may be a bit higher) and a further $180 for Win 10 Home or about $225 for Win 10 Pro for a total around $1,250 to $1,350 (roughly).

6 Likes

Hello Bendan,
I would be interested in understanding which intel mini PC products one might consider for use Off ice productivity (10/11!!)? I noted in a promotional video they flagged 4 potential functional applications: home entertainment, office productivity, digital signage & immersive gaming but did not flag PC models that apply to the specific functional groups. If interested in purchase the Intel NUC apart for ordering a unit on line who sells Intel NUC?

1 Like

Welcome to the Community @James.88

I cannot address your technical questions other than a NUC is a very basic box and I personally doubt there would be any meaningful difference across functional groups excepting processor and memory configurations.

Check your local speciality computer shops, and if you are close the online merchants often have customer counters although they are not intended to provide much service, just product.

Locally I have a Centrecom shop (a local chain, also online) and the staff are knowledgeable and very helpful. I bought some kit from PCCase Gear who were also knowledgeable and helpful, but less crisp as it is a ‘warehouse depot’ and they have lots to do. Shops like MSY have walk-in locations and great prices but you tell them what you want, they put it in your hand, and take your money. So there are all sorts of experiences.

If you would advise your location perhaps someone can recommend a shop near you?

2 Likes

i7 and i9 11th gen with a NVMe drive and at least 8 GB RAM but preferably 16 GB will give you good performance for any office needs and as there is no game need the graphics performance will be very satisfactory. If budget is an issue then an i5 will do an adequate job.

There are some non intel NUCs that have AMD chipsets and CPU which also work well but look for series 5 or 7 CPUs for price and performance.

There are a number of retailers who sell NUCs and they often have online shops. Just do price compares and look at cost of delivery so you don’t pay too much after that is added in, it can look good until delivery is added.

2 Likes

I was impressed by the Mini PC concept in the Choice review and purchased an Intel® NUC 8 Home, a Mini PC with Windows 10, Intel® Core™ i5, 1TB HDD, 16GB Intel® Optane™ Memory, 4GB RAM, w/ AU cord, single pack a year ago for AUD922.

Went well for about nine months but then became very noisy. Got in touch with Intel, it was a problem they certainly knew about, and they replaced it (eventually, as had to send the original to Malaysia during covid etc).

The replacement got here and went well for a couple of weeks, but then Windows froze and could not be rebooted. Very annoying. Intel, who pre-loaded Windows, were unable to advise how to get it operational, and eventually offerred to again replace or refund.

Couldnt take anymore so went for the refund. Just waiting to get that finalised after over 100 emails and seven months since the original went caput.

Good concept. Flawed product. Not going down this road again and wouldnt recommend anyone else does either.

Welcome to the Community @Caspar

Thanks for your first hand experience. One does not read much about personal experiences with NUCs. Intel seems to get credit for taking care of their customer though, even if it was challenging with ‘over 100 emails and seven months’. I hope the refund will get to you forthwith.

I have supplied NUCs for a fishing business on board trawlers. 3 years and still going strong. I don’t like putting rotational drives in them, SSD or PCIe drives seem to do much better. They are also less likely to suffer from the incessant vibration issues having solid state drives would create. Allowing good ventilation around them also improves longevity. They have a lot of venting slots as the small format leaves heat build up a critical issue, any restriction is a recipe for disaster.

I have also provided them for some non business users and one is about 5 years old now. None have failed beyond one where the external power block died early and that was quickly remedied with a new power source. Some come with internal power supplies but I think they build too much heat so prefer external supply.

3 Likes