Induction cook tops and Air Fryer OVENS

I was told by a salesman that if you have a pace maker one should not use induction cook tops. Is this correct?

2 Likes

You can check this topic for ‘Community knowledge’ about that.

2 Likes

perhaps you have not found the right sauce.
I find that the “Lee Kum Kee” range is exceptional.
Their flavor profiles are what I have eaten at even the cheapest and/or most expensive Chinese restaurants
most authentic flavors translated to the western palette.
DONT buy any bottles, buy the pouches, somewhat better.
Maybe because they are vacuum packed, the pouches are better.

FYI,
I am of European descent with an after-war palette, and old enough to know flavor differences.

Induction is great, the best cooking method since fire :grin:
Just beware of MIELE cocking appliances.
they are not what sales people tell you.
I spend about $25k on every possible miele kitchen and laundry appliance they have
I have a 4 burner cooktop that was constantly breaking down. Finally they fixed it by supplying a new cook top. 4 times
same for the Microwave, replaced after constant repairs, finally replaced
oven needed to be exchanged, washing machine repaired at least three times, dishwasher about the same.
the only appliance that came of scot free is, to-date, the warming draw and the steamer.
Just don’t buy appliances from miele

1 Like

Thanks for the tip on the pouches.

Translating ‘Authentic flavours’ is an interesting way of describing a product.

Something worth remembering when being asked to describe a MacDonalds burger product? Old enough and bold enough to suggest they loose something in the translation, IE from those sold at the local take-away. :wink:

1 Like

My wife and I are in the process of replacing our gas appliances with electric under the ACT sustainable Household Scheme. We have so far committed to replacing the HWS with a Heat Pump and about to sign up for the replacement of the gas ducted heating with a reverse cycle ducted system.
Now, this leaves our gas hob which we intend to replace with an induction cooktop. Our problem is that the existing hob is nominally 900-mm - but actually ‘860mm x 500mm’ with a ‘833mm x 475mm’ cutout (according to the installation instructions). To find an induction cooktop to fit in this space is very difficult. Of the hundreds of ‘900-mm’ induction cooktops I can only find three or four that will actually fit, and then for most of them the cutout needs to be enlarged to some degree.
While Choice has tested a good range of ‘600-mm’ models of induction cooktops, there are only a very small number of ‘900-mm’ models that have been tested. It would be good to see more ‘900-mm’ induction cooktops tested?

As for Air Fryers: we like them so much actually have two! We are caravaners and found that we did most of our cooking with the air fryer. As space is a premium in the caravan the air fryer was a medium size, so we bought a large size air fryer for the house. We use it regularly as it is far more convenient than using our ‘900-mm’ oven. It is great for meats like pork, chicken and sausages as it is less messy. We also like it for cooking fish in the air fryer as there is no ‘fishy’ smell. Finally, the chips are great!

3 Likes

You are lucky then. If they were all smaller than the existing cutout you would be up for a new bench top.

I hope someone can help me. At the moment I have a 900mm gas stove with an electric oven (all in one). I want to change the gas to electric, but I don’t want a 900 mm oven. So does anyone know - is it possible to put in a 900 electric cook top (to fill in the gap) and a 600 mm electric oven, as I can’t handle the large shelves in the 900 mm oven. The fill in the space with a cupboard?

2 Likes

Yes, it is possible to place a smaller oven below a cook top. the space that the oven would free up would be somewhere around 150 mm either side. In terms of using that space for cupboards they would be very small on either side of the oven, you need to consider that they will have an internal wall needed on the sides that face the oven sides. It may just be best to just extend the cupboards that are either side already to add that additional area to their space, or accept that the space is lost to use and fill the areas with “blanks”… You may also have to extend the height of the oven cavity downwards, to allow space to separate the oven from the now unincorporated stove top. I think, you would be best served in getting some advice from services that modify kitchens as a business to determine the best outcomes in your circumstances. Some of these businesses will come and inspect and offer a design service for very little cost, or some will accept photos and dimensions to do so without a visit (normally a reduced cost compared to an onsite visit).

3 Likes

Yes, in principle it is just a matter of cabinet work but efficiency and cost will play a part in deciding how to do the job.

There is no particular reason that the cooktop must be over the oven when they are separate appliances. In my view it is better that the oven is not low down as you need to stoop to see inside and to put things in or get them out. As the cook ages this gets more important. My oven is across from the cooktop and at a comfortable height.

The problem is that these things must be custom fitted into your kitchen and there may not be a suitable place for both - or either for that matter. You need to look at this as a whole. Firstly, now that the two are disconnected where would they go best in the kitchen? Secondly, can the existing cabinets be adapted or do I need a new kitchen? You will need separate electrical circuits and both may need to be upgraded as the line to your old gas stove (if any) was probably low power.

If you decide that the two should stay together you need to look carefully at the fitting requirements of each device, how close the bottom of the cooktop can be to the oven below and what ventilation is required for both. Induction cooktops do generate some heat in the circuitry and may switch off if they over heat from the oven.

If you have not designed a kitchen before you may want to get professional help. Such a person will need the details of the models of the appliances you like, although there may be money saved if you allow some flexibility. Do not go out and buy new equipment until you have a clear idea how and where it will be installed and what the cost will be.

4 Likes

If you don’t mind an asymmetric appearance you can have the smaller oven mounted to one side of the existing cavity and rather than extending shelves have them custom spaced for vertically inserted baking racks, pizza stones, etc, preferably with a door because of how they would accumulate dust and general dirt. Keeping the smaller oven centred would allow marginal space on each side but is another option that would work for a few trays and may be more eye friendly.

2 Likes

As long as you don’t chose a miele cooktop you should be ok.
Mine had to be replaced 5 FIVE times and it is still not working as intended.
I have a house full of miele stuff and NONE are up to par.
JUST DONT BUY MIELE,

DONT DO IT!!!

to frednumber11. Thank you for your warning.
Cheers

Could you add some detail to how the cooktop does not operate as intended?

1 Like

just stops working, shuts down mid-cocking, will not start, will not start when another plate is on. turns off when placing a pot on the plate.

2 Likes

Have Miele given you any reasons or excuses why this is happening? How many years has this been recurring? Has the problem started immediately with each or taken some time to exhibit the problems?

This would be the 5th one? Have you entered discussion for a replacement with a different model if that is practical on your counter top? If your purchase is post 2011 when the ACL kicked in their website indicates they are very proud of their induction cooktops ($$$$$$) suggesting under the ACL the price and market position is top end that should be some leverage if one is persistent.

3 Likes

Induction cooktops have safety protection against overheating. Some of the symptoms described are similar to the operation of built in protection. Are you able to share which model Miele induction cooktop is giving the problems you’ve noted? It may help with feedback from others with the same product.

Does the Miele owners operating manual for your cooktop describe the operating safety features? Which ones relating to overheating or coil operation does your model provide?

Are we able to assume that the induction cooktop was part of the original kitchen bench top design and installation, or had it been installed as an upgrade? There is always a possibility that after 5 replacements the problem is not the product, but how it has been installed. Have Miele asked if they can inspect the installation to determine if there is something else that is causing the behaviour described?

For others not familiar with some of the protection features of induction cooktops, one Miele model manual advises,

1 Like

You may have picked it but there are other possibilities. The various types of odd behaviour suggest to me that it is not (just) overheating or the overheating detection circuit but a broader fault. I had an induction stove that began with simple errors and got worse. After a while it would take a cold boot (turn the power off at the switchboard) to fix it, then it went totally random. It was refunded under warranty after the vendor sent an electrician to try to straighten it out and he declared it long past saving.

1 Like

Yes :wink:
Hopefully @frednumber11 has covered all the possibilities suggested prior to relating their experience. Replacing a cook top 5 times? IE the original plus 4 new ones. Miele must be very obliging? They do score well in the Choice customer product satisfaction and service support surveys.

1 Like

As long as you stay AWAY from Miele, you should be good.
Induction cook tops are great.
Depending where you live, stick with a good old fashioned electric top.
Safer and a lot less problems.
Just stay away from miele everything, EVERYTHING!!