Ikea store design - Love it or hate it?

There is no option for ā€˜There is no IKEA for a thousand miles from meā€™ :wink:

5 Likes

Yes there is!

You could sample the online store and order a delivery, or not? :wink:

Just be sure you are on the Australian ā€œhigh pricesā€ store and not the US or European ā€œreal priceā€ web site. :shushing_face:

4 Likes

I hate the layout of Ikea - it makes me feel claustrophobic and gasping for fresh air. If I wish to purchase from Ikea, I find it online, write clear instructions on price, design number, et cetera and send my husband!

4 Likes

I was meeting a friend at an Ikea store and he foolishly went inside to ā€œwander aroundā€ while he waited for me. I was on the phone with him trying to give him directions when he said ā€œhang on here comes a staff meberā€. He then proceeded to say in an appropriate stressed out voice ā€œCan you help me please. Iā€™ve been here three days and I canā€™t find my way outā€. Would have loved to have seen the look on the staff members voice. Me - I cracked up laughing!

2 Likes

A common condition?
We recently parked next to the UG car park entrance to the IKEA at a major urban shopping complex. Convenient and not too busy so a great park! Well!!! My partner, sweaty cold palms with the colour fast draining from the face protested and said some disparaging things about the choice of park! Not for publication.

Fortunately at the top of the escalator there is a choice. Turn left into IKEA or make the ā€˜rightā€™ turn, and all the real shops are to hand. I was lucky.

1 Like

@mark_m
Are you implying that even the car parks are claustrophobic near an IKEA store?:wink:

1 Like

Love that @c-j-smith :joy:!

The ā€˜ownerā€™ objectively loves the store design for obvious reasons. Who owns it? We all love tax evasion techniques (see #2).

The 2 sources cited are not the most reliable but it is interesting reading nonetheless, and seems to be accurate from random checks.The cited Wikipedia entry has many references shown as well as some dated and unresolved concerns from Wikipedia editors.

2 Likes

People have found ways to pass the time while trapped in IKEAā€¦

1 Like

My gripe with IKEA is that their buildings donā€™t have very good indoors mobile phone reception
ā€¦ And to get more information about a product you either have to (a) use their mobile app (which doesnā€™t work without good signal strength), or lug the product to someone who can answer your question (or take a photo of its label and show that to a person after you find them).

==> And when the mobile signal isnā€™t good enough inside an IKEA you cannot use the app for the map/diagram to navigate your way around that particular store either. :unamused:

2 Likes

Scandalous! Clearly without enough connectivity we also cannot find our loved ones who might have become separated and lost in the bowels of the beast, or even discuss prospective purchases with them. What about toddlers too young to use a device? You still need coverage to find them by their implant so you are left hoping they will get close enough to a sensor to activate their RFID tag. Not good enough IKEA!

Iā€™ve also found the same issue. Is this the Ikea in Tempe (nsw) or at another location? Iā€™m just wondering if itā€™s all of them.

:laughing: definitely need to keep a close eye on them in a place like IKEA.

3 Likes

Why bother?

Just order online for pickup or better still delivery!
Save also the extra hour in the pallet racking trying to locate the three packages you decided you needed. All cryptically coded and missing one.

IKEA is a 45 minute highway drive, so close by some standards. Is it worth it? :wink:

2 Likes

I wish there was an IKEA in Newcastle. Never has been. I havenā€™t been to one since they moved from Gordon to somewhere else, years and years ago. I want to be able to see things and sit on them (if necessary) before I commit to buy.

5 Likes

I highly recommend checking out the store layout on line before going I wanted something in the kitchen dinning section at Springvale looking on line I realised that there was a very quick way to get there simply walk in through the checkouts turn right and there is a door at the end of the registers that takes you directly into this department saving approximately 95% of the old journey

4 Likes

An article regarding IKEA announcing the closure of their Coventry, UK, megastore.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/ikea-uk-store-closure-retail-analysis-sales-customers-losses-news-world/0456ddb5-6024-4f48-a817-5eb3f2a84764

One suggestion for the closure is that customers do not like being forced to walk through the entire store.

A great time not to be a bricks and mortar retailer.

1 Like