If money and time were no object What Place in the World would you like to visit?

If you want to be authentic it would be in an open boat with a bunch of jolly Jack Tars. If you are taking the role of Bligh you would determine daily whose turn it was to lick the crumbs from the biscuit barrel, suck the rim of the water barrel or have a turn with the toilet paper. After about 7000 kilometres of open sea you and the crew will know each other very well even if you don’t become friends.

3 Likes

I’d love to see both the aurora borealis and aurora australis from a perfect vantage point on the new moon that coincides with the winter solstice. It would be cold but so worth it.

5 Likes

I’ve checked my travel insurance. All that licking barrels and shared toilet paper would invalidate my Covid19 cover.

4 Likes

If that was possible I would be buying shares in the hotel on that peak. Some terraforming may be required.

3 Likes

If you do head north or south hoping to chase them, there are apps which predict where they are likely to be seen. Ones like this one…

3 Likes

It may not qualify as ‘in the world’ - a suborbital or orbital flight. There is no view like the earth itself.

5 Likes

True! Sorry!

1 Like

No need at all! I appreciate your post and agree with a lot of what you said having had parallel experiences :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If the topic included ‘time’ as well as place, more than achievable. Personal Tardis preferred.

Some of the memories brought to mind by the original post include travelling to places that evoked a sense of a different time. Australia is dotted with the remnants of abandoned communities seldom visited.

The ruins of Australia’s original shale oil industry in Joadja, Newnes and Glen Davis in NSW alongside the stories of the communities that came and went with them hold interest. At least one site can be indulged from the accommodation at the Emirates One & Only Wolgan Valley - allow up to a week to fully explore the valley, ruins and indulge? This might qualify it for the “if money were no object”. Also likely the only way I might be able to indulge some outdoor exploring and ensure my travelling companion has an equal experience.

It’s an aside, but does going somewhere or to a place of great interest have a greater reward when the experience is shared? I’d not miss our monthly landcare group walks for both the experience and connection with like minds. Perhaps a similar appeal for those volunteering to serve under Captain @Gregr, assuming the beer and champagne don’t run out. To the same end a sub-orbital space flight experience may also be enhanced or suffer due to the choice of travelling companions, assuming one can choose?

3 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Tory Spelling, the beautiful American actress and author, said on tv last night that she’s very happy to be here because visiting Australia has been on her bucket list for some time.
On the odd chance that any of her people are watching: Welcome Tory, hope you’re having a wonderful time! :laughing:

2 Likes

Back to Japan for me.

2 Likes

Hope you’ll get your wish @wallacethree!

Some years ago, in Israel, a few of my travel companions and I opted out of one the programmed tours for the day. We were told it was optional as it wasn’t a very safe area to visit.

We did feel that we needed a break; although it was autumn it was still very hot; the itinerary had been a thorough and wonderful one but we were nearing the end of the trip and frankly we were exhausted!

So we caught a tram and got off at the Damascus Gate stop. We started walking around the shopping strip and looked for a place to sit, have a coffee and watch the world go by.

A family went past and smiled at us and we started talking and found they were also tourists from Australia. Then we saw a young lady handing out pamphlets from a reach-out organisation, soon we learned she was also from Australia, had been living in Jerusalem for a few years with her family.

Orthodox Jewish men dressed in the traditional black outfit, complete with black hat and Payot, went riding by on their bike.

After lunch we went back to our hotel for a long nap, and when we met our group for dinner they were envious of our refreshed look.

We did feel more rested but after having met fellow Australians that morning, we were also homesick and looking forward to going home :laughing:

3 Likes

Well, having a caravan, and watching restrictions, we continue to see Australia. So many breathtaking and soul-satisfying places to visit and re-visit. Even unplanned lockdowns are bearable or sometimes exciting.
Outside of Australia, I would visit Canada and travel by car to see its breadth and width. Or one of the European river cruises, where you travel by night and awaken to a new destination.

3 Likes

Wow. Envy you having been there…maybe one day…will get to do it myself too x

1 Like

I did just that. Years ago, and would do it again.
But also popped across the US border in various places for travel.
In the east in New Brunswick it is across the border to Maine and New England states of the US.
A bit further west and you are in Quebec where you better know some French, since all the signs are in that language.
A bit further west then it is Ontario and past the Niagra falls and upstate New York.
Further west then the Great Lakes.
And a long way further west you could visit Montana and North Dakota till you reach Washington state.

Big tip. Only go in Summer or Fall.

2 Likes

Well, we ARE talking as if money is no object. Yes, I’ve got friends from Canada and if I dislike Adelaide winters, I’d be in hell in their cold.

1 Like

I’d simply take my best QLD Winter clothing and hope it stays warm.

Quebec apparently has a relatively mild climate, for a Canadian city?

1 Like

Having been a regular commuter to Montreal in the 1990s what we would recognise as summer was usually the first 4-9 days of August. Everything is relative :wink:

2 Likes

It is not just the cold. It is the lack of daylight hours to see places if visiting in winter. And many places close down over winter.

2 Likes