CHOICE membership

Identity Theft - Latest Warning From Scamwatch Regarding

The latest warning from Scamwatch regarding identity theft.

Perhaps the website would be more appropiately named “Scumwatch”.

2 Likes

Another article regarding identity theft.

I expect thet “Sylvia” could rectify the problem of not being able to change her driver’s licence by moving interstate for a while and getting a new licence, and presumably then getting a new licence number if she moves back to WA.

But what a disgraceful situation thet a recalcitrant state government will not assist their citizens.

1 Like

I never knew about this and it is possible something the State and Territory Governments need to explore, if it provides a quick fix to prevent identity theft in the situation where a licence is lost or stolen. One already pays for a licence replacement, so any costs associated with having a new licence number could be covered by such payment.

If the banks/credit car companies can do it for credit/debit cards, then it should be possible for the government to implement such changes.

3 Likes

A follow-on article by the same ABC journalist regarding her own experience with identity fraud.

Almost scammed by a grub just released from prison who probably learned nothing from his stay other than new ways to steal.

1 Like

One of the worst cases of identity theft that I have heard of was the horrific experience of a Sydney resident some years ago when a police officer operating a speed trap rang him on his home phone after 1:00AM, claiming that he had just passed the speed trap at an extremely high speed and that if he did not return to the site immediately, he would come around and punch his lights out.

The victim asked for time and the location of the alleged offence and the details of the vehicle, and when told, he queried how he could possibly have been there when his home more than an hour away.

It turned out that the vehicle in question was a new HSV sedan bought on finance in the victim’s name but that was just the start of his nightmare as multiple fraud cases came to light and he was left fighting to try to clear his name and rebuild his life and credit rating.

I am pretty sure from memory that the colour of HSV sedan was red because red cars go faster but I don’t recall the other specific details other than noting that if the speed trap operator had tried to arrange for the crimminal to be intercepted instead of threatening an innoncent victim in the middle of the night. the victim’s problems may have been resolved earlier and more easily, as well as possibly ensuring that the crimminal did not kill anyone during his illegal escapades.

1 Like

Another article regarding identity theft, albeit with appaling grammar mistakes.

2 Likes

I noticed that AusPost advised the use of PO boxes. Many deliveries will not be made to PO boxes thus negating that advice… I think that part was a small bit of opportunity on AP’s part to perhaps increase revenue, I may be very wrong on that of course.

3 Likes

An article regarding Barclays Bank warning parents about the risks of posting information online regarding their children.

2 Likes

An article regarding a syndicate of online fraudsters.

1 Like

An article regarding someone easily obtaining Tony Abbott’s personal details.

An article regarding crimminals not only ransacking and stealing an Airbnb host’s property but also stealing her identity.

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-affair/airbnb-warning-property-owner-no-longer-feels-safe-after-being-targeted/5874d61a-f613-4598-bced-005b9c465b61

1 Like