ID and Privacy Risks when Selling on Line

Something also to be aware about Gumtrees when selling cars…make sure that your number plate is covered or illegible (use a masking feature of a photo editor).

A good mate said that his sister was recently called by the police as a car with her rego plates had been caught going through a number of speed cameras, on toll roads and also red light cameras. The police said that the rego plates in the photo looked suspicious and suspect that they were colour copies of the plates on her car. After doing some background checks on her, the recent behaviour seemed unusual and why they called to confirm whether it was her car.

They also asked if she was trying to sell her car online…which she replied yes.

The police asked if she has disguised the number plates, to which she answered no.

The police suggested that she remove the posted photos and not to place a photo of her car clearly showing the rego plates when it was being sold. They also suggested not to advise anyone interested in the car of its rego plates unless she knew or confirm they were genuine buyers.

The police indicated that due to the roll out of number plate recognition technologies, thieves are now stealing cars, checking online for a car of the same models and colour showing number plates (usually on selling websites) and then making a copy to stick onto the stolen car. This allows them to use the stolen car without being picked up by the recognition cameras…effectively to try and evade the law.

This is something I didn’t know but will make sure I do (that is disguise any rego plates) in the future should I sell a car online.

9 Likes