How To Remove Ticks Safely

An article regarding removing ticks safely.

7 Likes

There is some very useful advice in the ABC article.

It is spot on with the consensus amongst our local land care professionals. Creams for Scabies work well as does the freezing method. There are tick kits available from the chemist.

One example.
https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/86445/medi-freeze-tick-off-spray-38ml

The best strategy is not to get bitten in the first instance. DEET based bush or tropical strength insecticides work effectively in particular when sprayed on clothing where ever ticks can get access. EG neck, waist, ankles, sleeves etc.

Our local record is 14 ticks on one person during one day’s work. :flushed:

8 Likes

A tick spoon works for me, except where the tick is embedded.

3 Likes

We used to carry a spray can of Aerostart - stuff you spray in the carby to get engines going. Its got lots of ether in it and most ticks will drop off if sprayed. Not sure if theres not a “new” Aerostart that has something else in it. I think ether is a bit of a no no.

1 Like

There are numerous anecdotes about what works. Some I know simply pinch and pluck the little buggers off. Supposedly no ill effects. Definitely advised against as it is a high risk strategy. I get a massive egg sized reaction from any tick bite, along with for some symptoms of blood poisoning. That’s not a unique experience.

I’d want to know a lot more before trying any alternate solution.

2 Likes

Must be lucky. Pinching or plucking with one’s fingers has a high chance of the digestive system of the tick being purged into one’s bloodstream…causing a range of complications. This is why pointed tweezers as close to the skin as possible…gripping the head for extraction/removal…to prevent purging into the bloodstream.

2 Likes

My view too. I did also note.

Ticks grow through several stages, and can be ‘hard’ or ‘soft’ bodied. The ABC article also advised against fine pointed tweezers, as the act of gripping the tick can also cause more saliva etc to be injected into the victim. It has however been a long used method for pets as well as humans. It does not work for me. Freezing the tick seems to produce the least side effects. It simply goes to sleep, dies and ultimately drops off.

2 Likes