How fresh is 'fresh' fruit and veg?

I joined a local fruit and veg co-op about a year ago. 16 family’s all put in $25 each and one family goes to the sydney produce market each week to buy a range of fruit and veg and splits it 16 ways. The quality (mostly) and price (definately) cannot be beaten. It also helps us eat more seasonally because the in season produce is what’s available at the markets. I’ve attached pics of my loaded up car and examples of the boxes we get.

When i go to Woollies on the odd occasion I am outraged at how much my fresh produce costs!

5 Likes

Many Neighbourhood Centres used to do this but I am unsure if it is still something that may be still occurring. It helps budgets a lot buying in bulk as either you can go to wholesale markets or have an arrangement with your local greengrocer to buy bulk in for your group.

Perhaps it may be worth members checking with their neighbours and local groups if this is possible or is already happening in their area.

This can be expanded to buying meats (including Chicken and Lamb) in large quantities. This is somewhat similar to Aussie Farmers Direct but without the attached cost imposed by a third party. My “sort of local” butcher’s weekly offers as an example:

3 Likes

well done, farmers markets are also brilliant for quality and freshness.

1 Like

Here’s @rclemons article on buying fresh fruit and veg, including some tips on how to find the best fruit in season.

2 Likes

Buying any fruit (from any source) one needs to know how best to ripen it as most has been harvested to maximise transport and storage life. Some fruits won’t ripen (like rockmelon) and best to chose one that is ripe on purchase…not doing so will result in disappointment.

We try and ripen our fruit to perfection where possible…but one needs to be patient as under-ripe fruit can taste ordinary.

Many of us can’t wait for fruit to ripen and tend to eat early or soon after buying (like many with Asian backgrounds do). I prefer my fruit to make a mess when eating…being very juicy and sweet.

I also noticed that the article didn’t mention modified atmosphere packaging which is used for salad green and many seal pre-packaged fruit and veges. I avoid the fruit and veges *buy salad green from time to time) as one doesn’t know hoe old the fruit is and how long it has been on the shelf (the MAP increases shelf life considerably).

If we need to buy fruit/vege because we have run out and need some for a meal (as our local green grocer is a 15 minute return trip whereby we can walk to Woolies in 3 minutes)…we tend to buy the ‘Odd Bunch’ ones at Woollies. We have found that they are more flavoursome than the ‘perfect’ ones as it is often the fruit and veges who have had a hard life that give more favour return…one of the reasons why it is speculated/believed that some organic foods taste stronger.

1 Like

Bananas too. Most of their “fresh” fruit and vegetables are tasteless. Prefer to buy local snd in season😊

We recently bought some cherries at Aldi - way out of season, so we should have known better. Turns out they are from the US. Yep, Aldi ships cherries half way across the world!

Carbon footprint, anyone?

They look good, are firm … and taste of nothing.

An own goal - and we won’t be doing that again.

1 Like

The 2 other large supermarkets also import US cherries. Cherries don’t keep all that long, so if they are 6 months out of season, they certainly are not Australian grown.

So on this topic, where do I stand if fruit snd veg I have selected myself turns out to be unusable, eg bananas bruised on the inside, potatoes with that brown thing going on (again inside), avocado either woody or bruised? Does anyone return produce like this to a greengrocer? I’d do that at a supermarket but I’m somehow reluctant to do it at my local. It doesn’t happen often.

2 Likes

Hi @bronwastaken, you should be able to return the food in the cases you have described. Recently I bought some rice crackers and found out after opening that they were past the best before date, I mentioned it on my next shop and the supermarket were happy to offer a discount.

3 Likes

We have taken fruit and veg back to Woolies if it was bad. We have even taken stuff back that went off really quickly.

Usually there is no problem getting it replaced, or occasionally a refund and replacement!

5 Likes

I believe that supermarkets, i.e., including but not limited to ‘The fresh food people’ and the other one with the overweight woman howling that the prices are down down, have redefined the word ‘Fresh’ from meaning “recently made or obtained; not canned, frozen, or otherwise preserved” to meaning “recently out of theirs or someone else’s cold room”.

6 Likes

It’s not only the supermarket. It is interesting to see the number of processed food packages which also have labelling of fresh on them…when in fact they aren’t in the real sense. Here are examples of what are considered or labelled fresh. There are also brands like Always Fresh or Garden Fresh which don’t have all products which would be in anyway considered fresh.

I think the supermarkets and food industry take fresh as something which isn’t cooked or hasn’t been processed, rather than something picked on a farm in the past few days.

5 Likes

from the farm is what has been harvested this week and sold on weekends. From supermarkets is months old.

By all means enjoy eating food that has been sprayed and kept at low temps to make sure it doesn’t ripen.

then the herbs that go off in a few days… I still have fresh from the markets in the fridge and they are almost 2 weeks old…

5 Likes

This is a myth.

Yes, in the past it may have taken more time for seasonal fresh produce to get to store as the supermarkets dealt with middle men/women who in turn dealt with the farmers.

Today, many of the supermarkets deal directly with farmers and leave the middle guys (independent wholesalers) out. The supermarkets deal directly with farmers who contract grow produce directly for the supermarkets. As a result, it takes days for most seasonal fresh produce to go from the farm to the supermarket.

Some farmers cold store seasonal produce until they have sufficient volumes to meet their contract obligations or to have a truckload for delivery to the supermarket distribution centres. Supermarkets also may cold store product for brief times in preparation for dispatch to their stores. This time period is days and not a month.

It is also worth noting that any fruit and vegetables not is season in the local area will be cold stored. This includes that at farmer markets…otherwise one ould only see some fruits such as apples for about a month ler year. Many fruits and vegetables which are transported long distances across Australia are also often transported in refigerated trucks. This is to prevent premature ripening/spoiling of fruit and vegetables from fluctuating ambient temperatures.

A farmers market will have both seasonally and locally fesh produce as well as locally out of season fresh produce which has either been cold stores (e.g. apples) or transported long distances in refrigerated trucks. If this was not the case, farmers market wpuld have a very limited rsnge of fresh local produce. This is not the case in all the farmers markets i have seen.

7 Likes

If we interpret the myth to be all supermarket fresh fruit and veg is months old then you have dispelled that because some truly is fresh, days from harvest. If we take it to be supermarket fresh fruit and veg varies from days to many months old then you have provided ample evidence for that. Not all is fresh. As well some commercially grown produce can never be sold at its best, it changes in minutes or hours after cutting or it cannot be transported when ripe.

So the good part is: if it wasn’t for refrigeration and the modern supply chain much produce would only be available for quite limited periods of the year and truly local produce for less than that.

But: in making produce available all year around supermarkets and other suppliers have tortured the meaning of “fresh” beyond reason. An apple that has been in storage for 9 months isn’t “fresh” by any useful meaning of the word.

So what do we want? Some want the impossible; to have truly fresh produce out of season. Consider the (slightly more realistic) hypothetical where, alongside the unit price, an accurate date of harvest is displayed on every item for sale. Will that fix the problem? Will that result in fresh produce nirvana?

To get some idea of where that might lead let us ask Colesworths just once to publish a snapshot of the actual age of their produce from harvest to sale. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA… now I am tired from too much ROFLMAO, need a cup of tea.

7 Likes

The myth is that supermarkets have ‘months old’ produce, while farmer’s markets do not and therefore are fresher. This is the myth which can easily be busted.

In the real sense, possibly fresh is only possible when one has their own vegetable patch and harvests immediately before consuming. Something farmer’s markets, supermarkets or any other retailer can not achieve.

The same applies for farmer’s markets and why the above is a myth.

When a crop is ripening, it doesn’t ripen on the day or preceding days before the market. They ripen continually and farmers (including those who sell their fresh produce at farmer’s markets) will harvest their crops and store them until they have sufficient ripe produce to sell (either at a farmer’s market, to a wholesaler or direct to a retailer/supermarket). This stored could mean at a weekly farmer’s market, some of the produce could be at least 7 days old (if harvested on the same day of the market in the previous week) or more (if all the produce was not sold at the previous market and stored to be resold at the next market) - which occurs as discarding unsold produce is akin to throwing away money/farm or storeholder profits). Some of the produce could be picked on the same day of in the days immediately before the day of the market.

Some produce sold at farmer’s market (no differently to supermarkets) is stored to allowed ripening. Bananas are a good example which are picked green in the regions and are naturally or with ethylene to ripen. Any banana at a farmer’s market, unless in a banana growing area, is unlikely to be ‘farm fresh’ and not stored for some time.

Other products can be readily stored, under the right conditions for months. These include the Allium family (garlic, onions etc), potatoes (inc. sweet) and pumpkins.

Some vegetables are better stored before consumption to ensure that their potential shelf life is prolonged. This and will be before purchase (e.g. onions, garlic, pumpkins) to ensure they have matured/fried sufficiently to prevent storage spoiling. It should also be noted that these type of produce has historically been stored between seasons for many centuries…is is still done so in may developing countries.

Providing suitable weather conditions prevail, sSome are even left in the ground until the prices are satisfactory for the farmer to harvest and on sell (e.g. potatoes, onions, garlic). These in effect have been stored as the farms soils conditions has facilitated the storage.

It is not only supermarkets which have ‘tortured’ the meaning of fresh. If one goes to any retailer, farmer’s market, farm gate or supermarket and purchases produce out of season (or produce grown in another part of the country), it will have been stored for some period. This storage would have included that in transit from the farm to the place of purchase or to extend the availability of the produce.

There are many food processors/manufacturers which also use the term fresh for processed items. This has really pushed the boundaries in relation to the meaning of fresh and is ‘freshwashing’ the consumers.

I have been to many farmer’s markets in many states and are yet to see anyone that only sells locally, in season produce. These markets also contain a significant proportion of fruit and vegetables which have been grown elsewhere or been stored to prolong the seasons…such as that outlined above.

It is incorrect to think that farmer’s markets and supermarkets are vastly different. Both can have fresh produce which may be past its best eating time, can have produce in its prime and produce which is really under the weather and potentially spoiled.

My concern is that generalised statements like supermarket produce is not fresh and is one month old is incorrect. Generally, the post harvest age of supermarket produce will be not dissimilar to farmer’s markets, unless the storeholder on a farmer’s market can prove they grew the produce being sold and confirm that it was only picked within a day or two of the market. Any picking greater than this the produce will be as fresh as non-farmer market sources.

From my own experience, fresh leafy crops such as herbs and some leafy vegetables at farmer’s markets may be fresher than the supermarkets as they are more difficult to store at the farm to maintain their fresh appearance. Assuming the storeholder is the one who has grown the leafy produce, if not, then it will be no different to other retailers.

Choice has also covered the “fresh” issue in the past:

Woolworths is also confident of their fresh produce supply chain that they guarantee these products - Woolworths Fresh or Free Guarantee.

8 Likes

They do sell produce from China , some of it a year old. A lot of produce comes from New Zealand.

I get food from the farmers and i eat only seasonal producer.

I know that from the farmers markets it’s only in cold storage for a few days, not in storage with nitrogen gas pumped through it to stop food from ripening.

A few years ago one of the supermarkets was fined for selling apples from China as local and fresh, when in fact they were 9 months old.

I can survive without berries for a few months, same as stone fruits. If farmers don’t sell berries I don’t buy them, when I do I bin half of them and they have no taste at all.

2 Likes

Clearly you haven’t been to Tamworth Growers Market (on Saturday mornings) in cherry season! My wife sells cherries I have picked the previous day, often until well into the evening. We don’t store any picked on Sunday for the following week, I pick in mornings and late afternoons (when it isn’t too hot), and my wife sells from the roadside the same or next day, so they are only sold fresh within 1 or 2 days of picking. We only sell locally and in season, as we have no means to store them cold in any significant quantity.

We also sometimes sell fresh veg from the aquaponics system, cabbage, rhubarb, broccoli, capsicum,etc usually picked late on a Friday evening. Having been to a fair number of farmers markets over the years, including one in SLO in California, I’ve seen plenty selling fresh local produce. Of course in larger markets there will be cold store produce, but I think there are still quite a few traders who only sell freshly harvested local produce.

6 Likes

Yes they do. But it does not mean that all their produce is not fresh.[quote=“annaa63, post:40, topic:15618”]
A few years ago one of the supermarkets was fined for selling apples from China as local and fresh, when in fact they were 9 months old.
[/quote]

Yes, Australia can import apples from China…but some of the local ones are stored up to (and potentially longer) 10 months. If one buys apples at a farmer’s market out of season (the green apples on this figure is the peak harvest time and the red is predominately stored apples).

Yes, some of the supermarket (individual) stores were fined for incorrect country or origin…

but this was found not to be widespread or systemic conduct across the whole of the business…possibly local store staff not taking care when producing instore labelling.

Unless one knows the storeholder at a farmer’s market is an apple grower and buys their apples in the harvest month (or in periods adjacent to), then the apples will have been stored anywhere up to 11 months (as shown for the granny smiths). Does one really know at a farmer’s market if say the apples (or other none seasonal produce) are local or imported? If it is locally unseasonal?

This link has detailled information of when fresh produce is likely to be in season:

Harvest Guide

If one buys fresh produce out of season in their local area, it will be transported and stored. Storage may be short or long term.

I agree with @gordon that some storeholders (like farm gate sales) are genuine in only selling produce they have grown, but there has been a growing trend in our local area for broader range of produce to be sold to meet customer needs and expectations. Some farmer’s markets have also been ‘infiltrated’ by local greengrocers as another retail avenue for their business.

And no, haven’t been to the Tamworth ones but been to many in Queensland, NSW and Tasmania. We have also been to ones overseas as well. We enjoy visiting them when travelling as there is often produce not available where we line, giving us an opportunity to buy and try.

This ABC article is also worth reading as it outlines issues with out of season produce:

8 Likes