How can I get rid of roaches?

Is there anywhere in Sydney where i can buy the sticky Roach traps. peter

I get a good result from a non chemical method but it is not a set and forget operation. Take a margarine container which is empty by still greasy with the remains of the margarine ( or butter). Put in an enough warm water to come up the sides 30mm and mix in 2 teaspoons of sugar. Place near your garbage bins or in/under a cupboard where they like to roam. They crawl in, canā€™t get out and drown. I have caught up to 14 quite large ones over 2 nights. The downside is you need to replace often and as cleaning out and regreasing would be unpleasant, a few containers that size e.g. approx 500g size might be needed depending on your infestation. I have tried to roach traps but they donā€™t seem to work. A direct hit with a purpose spray works but you would have to be on duty all night. Ah the joys of of summer on the north coast.

1 Like

@Christina My experience is that if you have your apartment treated, the roaches leave for safer places (i.e. neighbouring untreated apartments). And vice versa - if the neighbours get their apartment treated, itā€™s probably a good idea to get yours done too so you donā€™t get their refugee roaches. (Cockroaches being one of the refugees that itā€™s OK to turn back!)

1 Like

I like the sound of your margarine container trap but as you say, nasty cleaning up afterwards. I am on the lookout for roach traps, a few years ago I got a mouse trap on the same lines but it was really cruel. however, would be great for roaches. Iā€™m told they hate citrus peels or smells, you could stash a few peels around but it would be great to kill them. Borax sprinkled around their haunts (under fridge, wall edges etc.) doesnā€™t smell and apparently it kills them. Last suggestion diatomaceous earth kills beetles. Its a great product - non poisonous multi useful eg. worming cats, dogs, coat dressing for fleas. You can buy it as a flour and use it in dog biscuits, worm them and you by internal doses. You can now buy it at agricultural type stores eg. Pet Stock. AND it feeds your plants in the garden, flluff it on leaves of besieged plants and the beates/earwigs will stay away.

1 Like

In Indonesia there is special chalk, kills roaches and ants. Works brilliantly, and a whole apartment doesnā€™t need to be treated - just entry points. At least, that is what I do when I am in Indonesia. Itā€™s called KAPUR AJAIB, and it is made by BAGUS brand.

1 Like

hi there mudpuppyā€¦kapur ajaib sounds great does it have a translation.

Bing translate returns ā€œThe Magic Chalkā€ while Google translate returns ā€œLime Magicā€. It appears the active ingredient is Deltametrin.

2 Likes

For information on deltamethrin - http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/DeltaGen.html

1 Like

All sorts of warnings, about the Magic Chalk being illegal - but of course, that is from US. Keep any bits of chalk out of reach of children, and wash your hands after use.

2 Likes

Make up a spray of water and 20-25 drops of peppermint essential oil added . Spray it around where you think cockroaches are present . It will keep them at bay .

2 Likes

Hi, whatever you do. Donā€™t kill or remove huntsmen spiders as they live on the cockroaches eggs & small ones. I lived in an old unit in Darwin, which is full of cockies and my unit was covered in them but within 6 months of not using sprays or killing the spiders I had not one cockroach but 4 adult huntsmen . Goodluck

3 Likes

Many years ago, CHOICE recommended Dead End cockroach mats. Theyā€™re no longer available in supermarkets, but if you search online, you can still order them.

They are a cardboard mat with a non-sticky coating. The roaches pick up the insecticide from the mat as they walk over it. Weā€™ve found them very effective, and if you vacuum off any dust that accumulates, they keep working beyond the claimed three months. You can slide them under things like fridges, or use a little Blu Tak to keep them anchored in the corners of cupboards etc.

4 Likes

Thanks for all the answers. We ended up getting someone in to exterminate them. We still see a few every now and then but itā€™s not a problem. I learnt that they like to live and breed inside the hinges of the kitchen cupboard doors.

Unfortunately, we didnā€™t manage to kill them all before they destroyed our new (expensive) dishwasher. They got inside the door where the logic board is mounted and shorted it out. So, it wouldnā€™t turn on or randomly started up in the middle of the night. It drove us nuts!

3 Likes

Not sure when you had it done but if you are still seeing them a month or two after treatment get the Treatment people back in under their warranty terms to re-treat your premises as you should not be still seeing them.

This Summer I covered sink openings with plastic lids or rubber plugs.

This was the first year for about 6 or more years that I was cockroach free.

frederickand

5 Likes

Since Iā€™ve had my new kitchen with the metal-type of push-down plugs, Iā€™ve rarely seen a cockroach indoors. I think the type that Iā€™d been seeing, usually mostly towards the end of summer (in Adelaide) were the Australian type, which supposedly come in from outdoors.

However recently Iā€™ve come across a few tiny ones (at least I think theyā€™re baby cockroaches, not 100% sure) so wondering if some hatched somewhereā€¦ :frowning:

I turn my dishwasher power off when Iā€™m not using it just in case

Yes, not very helpful though - ā€œmagic chalkā€ !