Household Cleaners and Dangers To Pets

No doubt as a ‘cat guardian’ you will not be using any bought cleaning products in your home then (I certainly don’t) and also keep your cats inside at all times so they don’t inflict harm on other things and to keep them safe from the dangerous plants and other people’s treated decks. Good to know.

Hi,

I do use bought cleaning products when I am confident that they don’t contain compounds which are KNOWN to be hazardous to pets.

I always read the labels and take proper notice of all precautions and use as instructed.

If in any doubt I exercise great caution to avoid exposing my beloved pets to them.

However this is made far more difficult than neccesary when consumers are simply not provided with accurate information to make informed decisions and take need precautionary measures.

Keeping cleansers lock away and out of reach of children and pets is simply not enough.

As mentioned beforehand who has the time and resources to fully research the toxicology, safety and potential hazards of the listed ingredients of consumer products.

This is precisely why the law requires specific warning and precautions to be printed on product labels where there is potential for harm.

As an informed RESPONSIBLE consumer it is up to you to read the instructions and take proper note of any warnings given.

Disregard them or ignore them at your own peril.

As a consumer consider the following.

If you were not in any way at all warned to avoid children having exposure or contact with a surface treated with a Benalklonum Chloride containg cleanser and that it could inflict harm upon a toddler whom innocently crawled over a floor washed with a cleanser formulated with it even when the floor was dry.

If your beloved child suffered severe irritation or chemical burning to skin, oral tissues and eyes and possibly required expensive emergency hospital care and there was potential for scarring or permanent damage.

Most parents would not be at all happy if you were left completely in the dark and not in anyway informed this could happen to your child despite exercising due care.
and this kind of injury was inflicted upon their children.

For the record:
As a responsible “Cat Guardian” for the past 50 years ALL my pet cats have been quite happy to be confined indoors from kittenhood and they haven’t shown any desire to explore the the outdoor world.

I’m also quite convinced that they are indeed living a much safer and happier life indoors as they are not exposed to the many risks of the outdoor life such as traffic accidents, territorial cat fights, aggresive dogs, toxic plants, poisonous substances such as snail bait, insecticides, anti-freeze and of course obnoxious cat hating individuals whom wish to inflict harm upon them.

They have all been happy and content to live an indoor life in the lap of luxury and I do everything possible to keep them entertained.

I also know for a fact that indoor cats have a greater longevity than cats allowed to roam freely outdoors.

Because they are indoors I will be relishing their devoted companionship for longer with a much greater peace of mind regarding their wellbeing.

2 Likes

Not a cleaner, but common in kitchens:

From Facebook

3 Likes

A more complete statement about dangers to birds at this web site. it is quite extensive.

3 Likes

Birds are highIy susceptible and sensitive to many household chemicals including aersols and insecticides often sprayed to control flies/mossies can also be lethal…

1 Like

So are fish. I knew a keen keeper of tropical fish who lost a large tank of very expensive specimens to overzealous use of fly spray by a visitor. Even though the tank had a lid it was not airtight and enough spray got in to do for the lot of them.

This illustrates the problem again; so many potentially harmful substances, so many potential victims, so many risks. Such huge labels. Unless you want to go for the truly generic warnings:

“May contain substances and other things that might be harmful under some circumstances to some organisms and sometimes maybe nuts too”

4 Likes