House insurance

The article "How to find the best home and contents insurance policy "does not cover how claims are processed. My current insurer’s renewal has added a supplementary statement “If we rebuild or repair, we choose the builder or supplier”. I interpret this to mean that the policy holder no longer has a say as to who repairs/rebuilds the house. This is a significant loss of control for the policy holder when it comes to making a claim.

5 Likes

That has been common in most policies for some years. It is also common for them to state the homeowner can get their own quote but the company still makes the decision (and one expects will always go for the low price).

Seems like your insurer is just becoming ‘competitive’ as they like to spin it, rather than watering down your cover.

5 Likes

Ah yes I raised this issue before Christmas. When I received my renewal from AAMI with a Supplementary statement about choice of builder I questioned the point in paying for a Premium standard of build when they choose the builder. I have since changed Insurers.

2 Likes