Hounded by nuisance callers?

Some ‘research surveys’ (to be polite) are conducted by Reachtel. ‘Research surveys’ are exempted from the ACMA Do Not Call register. Reachtel have their own opt-out list :slight_smile:

https://www.reachtel.com.au/do-not-call

4 Likes

Most survey companies do have an opt-out list…not sure if this is a legislative requirement but worth asking when they call.

I used to always politely say not interested in carrying out a survey and then hang up…and then a few weeks/months later the same survey company would call again asking to complete a survey. I suspect our number went on a ‘does answer’ list.

When I now get a survey when the caller is a person (rather than a robot), I ask them who they are and whether it is possible to opt-out from future ‘survey’ calls.

Some will do so over the phone but others give details (e.g. go to their website or send and email (e.g. XYZ@annoyingsurveys.com) with a request to have ones number removed.

As a result, the number of surveys we get has also disappeared, with exception of the robocall/automated ones.

2 Likes

I have had for at least two months now been receiving calls at a rate of three per week(sometimes daily) by someone who when I answer remains silent and after about 5 seconds hangs up. I *69 the call and it came from Apple Marketing Group.
This feels more like stalking than usual harassment where they ask for donations.
I have sent a Do Not Call e-mail to them so we will see if they will pay attention.

7 Likes

Here is an item I posted in April 2017. "I recommend you get a Telstra "Guardian"cordless phone set. I got one in November last year and since then I have not received one scam call.

Calls to numbers on your call list (capacity 2000) go through as normal.

If not on your contact list, caller is asked to identify themselves. If they don’t the call is immediately terminated.(you are not even aware of a call). If they do announce themselves the phone rings and displays caller details as provided by caller. You have the option of accepting call once, always, or blocking number.

We love it!

As at December 2018 the number of scam calls received remains at ZERO.

4 Likes

I emailed their DNC form in Feb 2017. Last I heard from them, so they honour requests.

3 Likes

My home phone allows me to block numbers, but that doesn’t really help at all. About half the nuisance calls come up as ‘Private Number’, and even the remainder seem to be different numbers every time. Even if you try to block them via the NBN modem, you’re going to hit the same problem.

4 Likes

Mine is on the ‘Do Not Call’ register. That might have some effect, but it isn’t substantial.

Calls seem to come in waves. I’ll go for months with no problems, then there will be calls every few minutes. Some days, the only way I can get any peace is to unplug the 'phone.

1 Like

[quote=“reallyawsomeguy, post:143, topic:11786”]
Apple Marketing Group.
[/quote] is notorious

03-8330-6800
03-8554-1115
07-5560-4900
07-5571-2377
are just a few of the numbers they use
(possibly using VoIP technology from anywhere in theworld)

2 Likes

It seems there are many ways to get around the Do Not Call Register. Sometimes I get “Private Number” but often it will be an Australian number. If I call the number I always get, “This number is not connected”. I cannot believe that these callers can’t be caught and prosecuted. I’m sure if my local politician received 5 calls a day that action would be taken.

6 Likes

The ones that appear to be Australian phone numbers are voice over internet protocol (VoIP) calls, often the call is generated by a computer overseas. All the caller needs is a VoIP account with an internet service provider (ISP or RSP) that is authorised to issue Australian type numbers. So to crack down on them, ACCC or AFP or x could start with the company providing the VoIP number …

4 Likes

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Clive Palmer and his unsolicited SMS messages

Interesting reading here;
https://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/unsolicited-calls-in-australia-consumer-experience

from the report to Minister
"Unsolicited communications
We have found that the unsolicited communications functions should not be referred to
industry, and the ACMA should retain its ability to outsource the DNCR, as per current
arrangements (findings 1–4).
The findings rely on evidence that:
> there is ongoing consumer concern about the impact and harms involved, with
consumers believing the government has a key role in their prevention
> there is limited industry support for deregulation
> there is no consensus about which industry group, if any, would take on oversight
of self-regulation of the functions
> alignment between the public and commercial interests involved is not strong, with
key stakeholders and ACMA compliance activities indicating the alignment is not
direct or extensive
> there is an ongoing need to underpin enforcement action with formal legal powers
> the international experience continues to indicate direct regulation is the preferred
model across comparable jurisdictions (with the ability to outsource operations of
do not call registers)."

The survey attached at bottom of linked page supports what most consumers know, the number of spam and scam calls is increasing. Most people believe scam callers are outside Aus so government has no control.

Somehow we need to get action on stopping calls originating from outside Australia pretending to be domestic, then at least we can choose to block filter. I understand industry doesn’t want this as they prefer their OS call centres can pretend to be in Aus. Seriously this is like just like a car owner changing their number plate to what ever they like for what ever reason.

Please Choice get serious about advocating enforcement of Calling Line ID. (election coming up)

Rant over, just had the Tax office call my mobile two days in a row from 2 different numbers!

6 Likes

Most spam calls which purport to be from Australian numbers can be stopped if you could find out who’s calling. Tht is: if the caller is employed by an Australian company then the Australian company is responsible for the action regardless of the location of the caller.

If I had a landline I would be filtering it through my router with a blacklist which I’m sure must exist. On my iPhone I have two apps, Hiya, and Truecaller, which between them seem to have stopped most unwanted calls.

1 Like

I have an Android with an app that checks numbers but the latest tax office callers are spoofing local (08) landline numbers.

2 Likes

Truecaller is available on Android and you can add your own numbers to block. It will also add a slew of its own to your addressbook under “spam” I think. Cant see that it would function differently to the iphone version.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.truecaller.

Hiya is also available. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.webascender.callerid

You might find that one or two still slip through but then you add them to your list. Good luck.

3 Likes

Thanks Sue
Just checked, I currently have Hiya. The downside I see with this type of solution however is another 3rd party that can capture and log all calls to you and create sell your profile.

3 Likes

Well… I chose to trust them all and I have not had additional spam as a result of going with either Hiya or Truecaller. Anyway, its up to you of course, I was just offering up options which I consider to be safe. I guess I am at the stage where I think everyone has my profile, such as it is, anyway.

3 Likes

Further reading.

https://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/scam-technology-project-to-address-proliferation-of-scams

“The project responds to ACMA research, which found that more than half of Australian adults have received scam calls daily or weekly. Three quarters of Australian adults believe not enough is done to protect individuals from scam calls.”

3 Likes

WIth computer generated calls using VoIP it is very easy for companies, spammers, and scammers to simply use another number.
The solution is not for everyone to be constantly adding numbers to their list of blocked numbers (most of us have at least two types of “filter” software on our mobiles phones).
We do need legislation about “Australian numbers” issued to VoIP users

1 Like

A technical question. How difficult would it be to allow the user to choose to block incoming overseas calls? Where would the blockade be implemented and by whom? What would it cost to run?

2 Likes