CHOICE membership

Hounded by nuisance callers?

nuisance
calls
scams

I think the Call Guardian’s effectiveness is due to the vetting which goes on before the phone call ensues. if it’s the first time then the caller is introduced to you by a female robovoice and they have to identify themselves before you take the call. Naturally you will ban the caller if you are not interested and the call is never connected. So it amounts to a complete waste of time for the caller who will give up knowing that you will reject the call anyway. Once rejected the calling number is placed on the banned list and if they try again your phone won’t even ring as the call is never connected.

Here is an item I posted in April 2017. "I recommend you get a Telstra "Guardian"cordless phone set. I got one in November last year and since then I have not received one scam call.

Calls to numbers on your call list (capacity 2000) go through as normal.

If not on your contact list, caller is asked to identify themselves. If they don’t the call is immediately terminated.(you are not even aware of a call). If they do announce themselves the phone rings and displays caller details as provided by caller. You have the option of accepting call once, always, or blocking number.

We love it!

As at December 2018 the number of scam calls received remains at ZERO.

Your post is put much better than mine. I feel Telstra should promote this phone a lot more as it seems to be the answer to many of the issues raised in this topic and there doesn’t seem to be an equivalent elsewhere.

Can anybody tell me why the Choice review of cordless phones from December did not include the Telstra “Guardian”?

How does this handset-service:-

• work with NBN as a VoIP handset?
  • manage incoming calls that have no/suppressed Caller ID information

We have several friends who have Caller ID set to “none” permanently, we have asked them to adjust this or even make an exception for us (for example prefix our number with the code to “show Caller ID for just this call”. If dialling from a Telstra mobile the prefix is #31#, if dialling from VoIP phone the prefix is *67 - it is easy to put a prefix in as first part of phone number in contacts). But to no avail.

Yet another issue - no consistency even within a single company on how anything works across their products. #31# or *67. How many other carriers use those codes? Optus wants 1832 or *32.

Why not lobby for them to all use the same codes and make life easier for those who use functions?

I’m showing my ignorance here but we are on NBN (which I thought was all VoIP) and it works perfectly. For your second query the second part of your post and the one from The BBG is probably the only solution. Otherwise I assume your friends would have to go through the vetting process each time, which is a hassle for them. Then it becomes a question of compromise.