Hounded by nuisance callers?

I have had 6 calls in the last two days. If I do not recognize the number I don’t answer any more. Scam calls from “Telstra” telling me that my internet has been “corrupted”. I have had it up to the back teeth.

4 Likes

Today 24-05 -2018 I had 5 calls claiming to be Telstra btween 1.00pm and 1.30pm . On the last call I blew a high pitched football umpires whistle down the phone at them . The calls stopped . :grin:

9 Likes

I intend to buy a whistle next week. I actually counted 12 calls over the past 2 days. It is obviously near the end of the financial year for the charities, but the scam calls will be getting a blast. I have noticed some of the Indian calls are being routed through local numbers because occasionally when I call back I get a recorded message stating that the number is not complete or has been disconnected.

5 Likes

If you want to step up the ladder to where you are practically developing your skill at burning off these nuisance callers to an art form use a can of compressed air with a trumpet horn attached . They can be purchased online or at security industry supply centres as well . /

I’ve gone from 7 -10 calls a day to 1 in the last 3 days .

6 Likes

I have been having a little fun with some of the ‘Telstra’ callers lately. Today I was German; yesterday I just didn’t understand anything the guy was saying. Mean, and it eats up their time to call others.

We do also have a whistle.

On the campaign front, @BrendanMays, how do you define what constitutes a call ‘asking for money’? These ‘Telstra’ callers, for instance, have never asked me for money (although they would eventually). Similarly, I can see some loopholes for charities and politicians (who should be added specifically to the DNCR) to avoid ‘asking for money’ while at the same time getting the message across that - say - ‘children are going to die’!!!

7 Likes

My understanding is that the wording ‘asking for money’ is intended to catch any ‘sales’ activity, so that if they are soliciting for any money at all then that would fall under the definition. There’s a neverending slipperiness to some of these type things, but really it should be simple - think ‘no junk mail’ for telephone calls :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The “Telstra Technical Department” has mutated to render horns and whistles less useful by using a recorded message. In some ways the perps are stupid in other ways a little clever. The new one is designed to scare you by saying your internet will be cut off. As well the voice is educated, female and sounds Australian, which avoids the foreign accent cue.

I haven’t wasted the time to let it run all the way but I assume at some point if you fall for it you have to contact them when the whistle would come back into play.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Stop junk mail - name and shame

Whistle is what Telecom (now called Telstra) advised people to use when receiving hassling calls and threatening calls.
The "guardian’ service was introduced for when people were getting threatening calls.
When people rang your number the call was intercepted and the operator asked them who they were and what number they were calling (and for what purpose), and if they didn’t answer the operator would not put the call through…
I don’t know much about the current guardian service - is it free? is it for a set time and then stops?

5 Likes

I tried the whistle twice this week. I don’t feel happy about using it, but these operators must be aware that this is a scam, and it seems to be working. I have never heard of the guardian service, but can’t see it working in this day and age. It would be expensive to run.

4 Likes

Some ‘research surveys’ (to be polite) are conducted by Reachtel. ‘Research surveys’ are exempted from the ACMA Do Not Call register. Reachtel have their own opt-out list :slight_smile:

https://www.reachtel.com.au/do-not-call

4 Likes

Most survey companies do have an opt-out list…not sure if this is a legislative requirement but worth asking when they call.

I used to always politely say not interested in carrying out a survey and then hang up…and then a few weeks/months later the same survey company would call again asking to complete a survey. I suspect our number went on a ‘does answer’ list.

When I now get a survey when the caller is a person (rather than a robot), I ask them who they are and whether it is possible to opt-out from future ‘survey’ calls.

Some will do so over the phone but others give details (e.g. go to their website or send and email (e.g. XYZ@annoyingsurveys.com) with a request to have ones number removed.

As a result, the number of surveys we get has also disappeared, with exception of the robocall/automated ones.

2 Likes

I have had for at least two months now been receiving calls at a rate of three per week(sometimes daily) by someone who when I answer remains silent and after about 5 seconds hangs up. I *69 the call and it came from Apple Marketing Group.
This feels more like stalking than usual harassment where they ask for donations.
I have sent a Do Not Call e-mail to them so we will see if they will pay attention.

7 Likes

Here is an item I posted in April 2017. "I recommend you get a Telstra "Guardian"cordless phone set. I got one in November last year and since then I have not received one scam call.

Calls to numbers on your call list (capacity 2000) go through as normal.

If not on your contact list, caller is asked to identify themselves. If they don’t the call is immediately terminated.(you are not even aware of a call). If they do announce themselves the phone rings and displays caller details as provided by caller. You have the option of accepting call once, always, or blocking number.

We love it!

As at December 2018 the number of scam calls received remains at ZERO.

4 Likes

I emailed their DNC form in Feb 2017. Last I heard from them, so they honour requests.

3 Likes

My home phone allows me to block numbers, but that doesn’t really help at all. About half the nuisance calls come up as ‘Private Number’, and even the remainder seem to be different numbers every time. Even if you try to block them via the NBN modem, you’re going to hit the same problem.

4 Likes

Mine is on the ‘Do Not Call’ register. That might have some effect, but it isn’t substantial.

Calls seem to come in waves. I’ll go for months with no problems, then there will be calls every few minutes. Some days, the only way I can get any peace is to unplug the 'phone.

1 Like

[quote=“reallyawsomeguy, post:143, topic:11786”]
Apple Marketing Group.
[/quote] is notorious

03-8330-6800
03-8554-1115
07-5560-4900
07-5571-2377
are just a few of the numbers they use
(possibly using VoIP technology from anywhere in theworld)

2 Likes

It seems there are many ways to get around the Do Not Call Register. Sometimes I get “Private Number” but often it will be an Australian number. If I call the number I always get, “This number is not connected”. I cannot believe that these callers can’t be caught and prosecuted. I’m sure if my local politician received 5 calls a day that action would be taken.

6 Likes

The ones that appear to be Australian phone numbers are voice over internet protocol (VoIP) calls, often the call is generated by a computer overseas. All the caller needs is a VoIP account with an internet service provider (ISP or RSP) that is authorised to issue Australian type numbers. So to crack down on them, ACCC or AFP or x could start with the company providing the VoIP number …

4 Likes