Hot cross buns taste test ✖

And what is not better than a toasted traditional hot cross bun, spread with (real dairy) butter when still hot so the butter melts into the bun…eaten warm with a cuppa…bliss this time of year.

2 Likes

Does anyone remember which of the main supermarket brand traditional fruit hot cross buns were best last year and the year before?

I thought it was Woolworths but I’ve been extremely unimpressed by their product this year and the latest taste test results bear that out, with WW right down the bottom of the (non-GF-free) list. I even found semi-frozen packets on the shelf recently. I also don’t buy the Aldi product because I found semi-frozen buns on their shelves last year.

1 Like

I am suspicious that all of the mass groceries sell a lot of frozen/defrosted bread products. It was common to find partially defrosted product in our Coles and never in Woolies, but now we are finding it in Woolies and not so much Coles.

It could be the difference is only in the care they take to defrost prior to stocking so the customers never notice.

I like the fruit buns from the local bakery :slight_smile: There’s also a Vietnamese French hot bread shop that does them well :slight_smile: The other advantage of course is that you don’t have to buy them in bags of 6 or 8 or 12. You can just buy one. Or two. And we diabetics shouldnt buy any but geez…

1 Like

Now you can make a Coles hot cross bun cake.

https://www.coles.com.au/inspire-and-create/recipes-tips-ideas/recipes/raspberry-and-white-chocolate-hot-cross-bun-cake

Or these recipes.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/recipedetail/6637/tim-tam-slam-bbq-hot-cross-bun?searchTerm=hot%20cross%20buns

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/recipedetail/7436/hot-cross-bun-cheesy-melt?searchTerm=hot%20cross%20buns

Another hot cross bun “recipe”.

1 Like

Are the best tasting Hot Cross Buns, those on special and heavily marked down on the first Tuesday after Easter?

Likely next to the unsold Easter Eggs, although sometimes one needs to wait a few more days to get the real bargains.

P.S.
Should the April food challenge be who can find and submit a pick of the cheapest buns on sale after midday April 1st? :grin:

1 Like

Probably not as Coles have announced that they are now to be available 365 days a year.

3 Likes

I noticed aldi normal 6 pack hot cross buns are the same price as 4 pack specially selected. Maybe they consider the brand specially selected premium. I can’t believe how early
i saw them in store. Just interested in choice opinion. The 6 pack actual size is larger hot cross buns compared to specially selected. I had noticed that the normal bakers life 6 pack are smaller in size. If going to Coles or other shops they are larger. Anyway i guess size is comparable.

2 Likes

Christmas lights are around all year just like hot cross buns. Maybe a poll should be done to list what else is around all year.

2 Likes

The latest article regarding the hot cross bun history drama.

1 Like

This thread continued here.