Hot cross buns taste test ✖

Want to know which are the best hot cross buns? Read our latest taste test to find out.

What is your favourite hot cross buns brand?

4 Likes

I have notice this year the range seems to be getting bigger and bigger. New ones include…

• made with spelt flour instead of wheat flour
  • made with brioche buns
  • made without fruit (a sticky bun with a pastry X on top…not sure how this is a hot cross bun)

Amazing or what next?

3 Likes

When I was a child this is exactly how hot cross buns were. The fruit came later.

My general preference is for fruit loaded, but made by the local bakery, rather than one of the big bakers.

3 Likes

I like the infographic, but I would have the active tab high-lit (grey), not the inactive one. Having active as white on a white background is not intuitive.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @meltam, I’ll pass it on to the content team.

1 Like

Best tasting hot cross buns? Homemade of course.

2 Likes

A friend sent me this picture today. When does Choice need to get the next taste test ready? :thinking:

6 Likes

Whoa! Guess they’re pretty much a full-time thing then.

5 Likes

That’s what I hear. I’m sure the internet will have lots of opinions on this :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

A timely update.

Even as a chocoholic, not a fan of choc chip versions. Ruins two great foods. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Interesting that the choc chip is now regarded as traditional, I certainly don’t remember seeing them as a child, I suspect it was less than 10 years ago that I first spotted them. How long have they been available in supermarkets?

Honestly, I cringe when I see those choc chip ones… And no amount of protest by Colesworths will convince me that its customer demand! That is just BS. So is buns being available for weeks before Easter.

3 Likes

I didnt really notice them until maybe 4-5 years ago. Traditional my arse!!

2 Likes

Months!

4 Likes

“not a fan” is me being polite. ‘cringe’ is an accurate feeling.
My wife picked up the sample choc version by mistake. ‘this is horrible - which is the proper one?’

2 Likes

For many perhaps they are just another type of bun, fruit optional, sticky glaze variable, patterned top, and now with chocolate. Often not so good, but then it’s the meaning that counts? Pious and not earthly good.

If they hold a special place in religion it seems lost. Not all Christian religions even recognise Easter.

Really, is it simply about a great or not so great tasting bun? My early memories were of buns that could be eaten with an excess amount of golden syrup and butter or honey, and no guilt. Rather uninspiring otherwise. And only on two days of the year!

Give me a fresh cream bun, the square ones with real cream and strawberry jam any day. Available 365 days a year as a treat too! About twice as long a baking season as the hot cross bun.

1 Like

Perhaps once it was, now it’s all about profit!

3 Likes

For me personally, the meaning isnt so much about religion (though back then it was Sunday School and all that)… its more about how special the bun was. We looked forward to Easter because then, you could have Hot Cross buns. Now, they just aren’t special. Same with the easter bunny and eggs. Easter chocolate tasted so much better than any other… because it was special and only available at or near Easter. Christmas was special, once, too. But now its all turned into a homogeneous mess…

8 Likes

Do you prefer a bun with fruit or chocolate?

1 Like

I am a traditionalist and only eat hot cross buns with fruit.

I think if one wants a chocolate hit or plain bun, there are far better alternatives.

3 Likes