Hot chocolate review. Which hot chocolate powder is best?

Cadbury’s Bournville Cocoa - rich full flavour. 100% cocoa. Rang the customer query line to find out if the cocoa is ethically harvested in Indonesia; the gentleman did not have the information but would find out and get back to me, hopefully. Perhaps your sources are better

3 Likes

Do you mean have some of ethical certification live freetrade?

This is also on their website…

https://www.cadbury.com.au/About-Cadbury/Sustainable-Cocoa.aspx

3 Likes

I’m more concerned with what I see as a radical move to the right in choosing dark chocolate over milk chocolate - in everything!! People give me blocks of chocolate or other “chocolate” products which are dark rather than milk - and I am appalled !!

I have no desire to be drawn to the dark side and will resist this movement wherever and whenever it arises !!

1 Like

Apparently milk chocolate is slowly losing popularity, as for that sweet, fatty, white stuff it is a misrepresentation to call it chocolate. Children prefer sweet to bitter so it is no surprise most of us learned to enjoy milk chocolate first but why is dark gaining?

The milk products in milk chocolate reduce the perception of bitterness in it and the added sugar and reduced cocoa solids alter the balance much. Is the broader taste heading for intensity and bitter-sweet balance rather than sweet dominance? Perhaps it is the purported health benefits of dark? Dunno. But there definitely ought to be more studies and tastings performed. And a few more learned papers saying dark chocolate is good for you.

It’s hard to get anywhere with this question as most of the industry stats and consequent analysis are paywalled.

5 Likes

I prefer to live on the dark side in the rare occasions I undulge…too much indulgence gives me headaches and triggers hayfever (I have a sensitivity).

I, like @syncretic posted, find the milk chocolate more like a sweet/sugary confectionery, while the dark is far more complex in the tastebuds and enjoyable. A good dark chocolate is comparable to a good glass of red.

It isn’t radical or new right/lefty fad, as dark chocolate has been around longer (3000 years) than milk chocolate (<350 years, although exact inventor and time is disputed) and like most foods, each has their own personal preferences.

4 Likes

You should join Darth Vader and myself. Dark choclate rules.

2 Likes

The dau-in-law (fad dieter) went to dark chocolate because the “Sugar is Poison” people told her it was OK as it had no sugar (obviously don’t read the label Old Gold Original is 51% vs Cadbury Milk Chocolate is 57%). Another diet plan told her dark chocolate had heart health benefits (aligned with a Mediterranean Diet). That’s why they now only have Dark Chocolate and only give us Dark Chocolate blocks for presents. It’s a health food and should be eaten often. We don’t. But I do like a little bitter dark chocolate occasionally.

4 Likes

We buy organically grown fair trade cacao (100%) in 1kg packs, there is no need for any of the expensive sugary mixed concoctions!
We drink it in soy milk, sometimes straight, otherwise with a little bit of local honey, hot or cold depending on the prevailing weather. I use it in cooking for chocolate cakes quite often too, and in my home-made gels for long rides on my bike. Also sometimes in my home-made “ice cream”, frozen blended mashed banana and coconut cream - no added sugar

2 Likes

There are some with as little as a few percentages (<5%) of added sugar…but the lower the sugar, the more bitter the dark chocolate. The more bitter it often is, the less is usually eaten.

Dark chocolate could be another test for Choice to do the future to update their last one in 2014…

4 Likes

The proportion of sugar is quite variable, some high cocoa dark chocolates are only around 7%. Dieters should also consider fat content which can be more than 50% and fat has more energy per gram than sugar.

Labelling is confusing due to different use of ‘cocao’ versus ‘cocoa’ and also the meaning of ‘cocoa solids’, some say it includes cocoa butter others not.

Foods Standards Oz & NZ says:

2.10.4—2 Definitions

Note In this Code (see section 1.1.2—3):

chocolate means a confectionery product that is characterised by:

(a) the presence of

(i) cocoa bean derivatives; and

(ii) no more than 50 g/kg of edible oils, other than cocoa butter or dairy fats; and

(b) preparation from a minimum of 200 g/kg of cocoa bean derivatives.

cocoa means the powdered product prepared from cocoa beans from which a portion of the fat may have been removed, with or without the addition of salt or spices.

If you are wondering why some products are called “choc” not “chocolate” it is because they do not pass the above definition, generally lacking in cocoa derivatives.

Old Gold is one of the sweeter ones that is called dark, it’s better than milk but rather wussy dark. Oddly Nestle dark cooking chocolate is 54% sugar. It pays to read the panel carefully.

4 Likes

Shreek!!! Run around pulling hair out! Sacrilege!

4 Likes

Some of us have to think of our waistline! :wink:

5 Likes

Here’s another one I just thought of - my son really likes warm (or cold) milk with a chocolate Sipahh Straw.
It’s a REALLY convenient option, and I’m reasonably happy with the nutrient profile (for an extremely active kid who needs to put on weight!!)

Don’t panic @KAAAAAREN87.
Unless there is another concern, skinny kids tend to turn into full grown skinny and useful adults. Aptitude and energy might just be a symptom of a great diet, chocolate straws included. :wink:

1 Like

I am a dark chocolate fiend. However, Callebaute have a “Powerful” Milk Chocolate and it is divine.

However, I love diving into various origin specific chocolate. The flavour profiles are so varied.

To throw in another option. Have you tried Ruby Chocolate! It is so different to dark and milk. I live it.

2 Likes

No. If ‘white chocolate’ isn’t actually chocolate then what hope for pink? ‘Chocolate’ must also taste of cocoa not just fat and/or sugar. Prejudice rules!

3 Likes

There you are incorrect. Ruby chocolate comes from Ruby cocoa beans and is a true chocolate.

It is a bit of debate as to whether Ruby Cocao Beans are indeed a new bean type or an existing bean that is less fermented than others, treated with acid eg citric acid and then defatted by using ether.

I am not debating the distinction just that there is some argument.

7 Likes

White “chocolate” is also derived from cocoa beans and I don’t consider it to be true chocolate. The reason is the same it doesn’t contain much (or any) of the non-fat cocoa solids. If you want to call such confections of fat and sugar chocolate (the colour makes no difference) go right ahead but you won’t get any after dinner at my place even if you beg and plead.

2 Likes

It isn’t a confection. It is a true chocolate. If you don’t understand that it is made from whole beans and not just cocoa butter, that is your issue. Please, read what it really is right here. https://www.callebaut.com/en-AU/products/CHR-R35RB1