Honesty Box NBN Scheme, is it legit or a scam

I live in Darwin and have had an Honesty Box for a couple of months now. I get regular reports but they dont mean a lot to me except that I have no better internet than anyone else. I guess I knew this anyway but I am happy to continue if it provides better statistics ‘down the road’.

Your Internet is better than 0.0% of other Australians on nbn™ FIBRE(FttB) 50/20.

3 Likes

This is becoming a parallel thread with similar content, including Honesty Box reports, to the much older: Has any actual NBN customer speed data been published?
should this one be merged into it?

3 Likes

In my view yes, it is the same kind of survey on the same population done for a similar purpose by two different bodies. There is another conversation about the same subject tested by a different method here. These are all closely related.

By comparing various surveys we may find interesting outcomes, that may tell us which (if any) are good surveys that actually report what they claim to report.

1 Like

I wonder though if the two are merged might it create more confusion about which results come from each source?

One is about honesty box results specifically.

The other considers results from the ACCC and perhaps other public published information Choice has no control over.

Would the differences serve to undermine the credibility of both sources of NBN performance data, or encourage support for more detailed analysis?

3 Likes

There is already plenty of Honesty Box discussion there, predating this thread by a long time from myself and others, so I don’t think any confusion would result.

2 Likes

Yes agree Gordon, the other topic has a lot of relatable history. It’s up to 156 posts or so and makes a great read, although more of a tear jerker for some!

P.S. They started the pour of our NBN FW Tower last week. Happy to add a honesty box if the service ever eventuates. Still sceptical given the 1,000m buffer of 30+m pine trees in the line of sight! Got another topic/s.

2 Likes

What information does Choice control re the Honesty Box scheme?

1 Like

What would any reasonable person think?

I’m sceptical the ACCC reporting is representative of the variations in performance many NBN customers experience. It has been the subject of various criticisms as it has grown.

Is it possible that the alternative Honesty Box program supported by Choice is more creditable? The results appear more open and offer more individual detail than any alternative.

Choice partnered for the Honesty Box service? I don’t think I made any representations about control specific to information. It was not the intent, although Choice obviously has control in respect of its part of the relationship.

3 Likes

I really don’t know. I was wondering if you knew any specifics, if you don’t no matter.

Thanks for raising the issue @Airsie and apologies for any shortcomings in terms of the response time or any confusion caused from the Honesty Box program. It seems like you have received the confirmation you needed so I’ve closed the thread for now. We’ll collect ongoing talk about broadband monitoring in NBN customer speed testing thread.

I’ll pass on the comments here as feedback, and please feel free to get in touch if any further questions come up.

3 Likes