Honda Australia Pty Ltd - Honda Accord MY1998-2000, CR-V MY1998-2000, Legend MY1998-2000 Recall

A recall notice for Honda Accord MY1998-2000, CR-V MY1998-2000, Legend MY1998-2000 supplied by Honda Australia Pty Ltd due to defective airbags.

Honda Australia Pty Ltd - Honda Accord MY1998-2000, CR-V MY1998-2000, Legend MY1998-2000

PRA No.

2020/18123

Date published

20 Jan 2020

Campaign number

6NA

Product description

Honda Accord
Model Years 1998-2000

Honda CR-V
Model Years 1998-2000

Honda Legend
Model Years 1998-2000

fitted with a driver’s airbag with a Takata NADI 5-AT inflator

33 289 affected vehicles

Identifying features

VIN (Vehicle identification number)

See attached VIN list

VIN list.xlsx (929.41 KB)

What are the defects?

According to the component supplier, the driver’s side airbag inflator in affected vehicles could allow moisture to enter the unit and degrade the airbag inflator propellant. If this occurs, the properties of the propellant may be changed so that the propellant does not react during an accident causing misdeployment of the airbag.

What are the hazards?

According to the component supplier, if a vehicle with an affected airbag is involved in a collision, the airbag inflator could rupture, causing sharp metal fragments to enter the vehicle cabin at high speed and kill or injure vehicle occupants.

The component supplier is also concerned that there is a risk that the defect could lead to slow deployment and not protect the driver as intended.

What should consumers do?

Owners of affected vehicles should stop driving their vehicle immediately. Owners of affected vehicles will receive a letter from Honda Australia asking them to contact the Honda Australia Recall Call centre on 1800 952 272 (Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 6pm (AEST)) to start the buy-back process. The Honda Recall Call Centre will arrange for affected vehicles to be towed. Any tow will be undertaken free of charge. Alternately, owners of affected vehicles can contact or present their vehicle to their preferred Honda dealer.

Where the vehicle has a valid current registration for road use in Australia, Honda Australia will offer to buy back the registered vehicle from the owner at market value. Alternative transport options will be arranged by Honda Australia directly with the customer until the buy back process is completed.

Given the age of these vehicles, replacement parts are no longer in production and therefore are not currently available. As a result, Honda is currently unable to repair affected vehicles at this time.

We also recommend you visit www.productsafety.gov.au/newsletter/subscribe to subscribe to receive updates about current and future recalls as they are published.

Further information for consumers is available at www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls

Supplier

Honda Australia Pty Ltd

Traders who sold this product

Authorised Honda dealers

Where the product was sold

Nationally

Dates available for sale

• 1 November 1997 - 28 February 2000
  • 1 September 1997 - 28 February 2000
  • 1 May 1996 - 28 February 2000

Responsible regulator

Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Cities and Regional Development is the responsible regulator for this recall.

1 Like