Honda Australia Pty Ltd - Honda Accord, CR-V and Legend MY1998-2000, Odyssey MY1998-1999, Integra MY2000 and Civic MY1996-2000 - Extended Recall

An extended recall for Honda Accord, CR-V and Legend MY1998-2000, Odyssey MY1998-1999, Integra MY2000 and Civic MY1996-2000 supplied by Honda Australia Pty Ltd as according to the component supplier, the driver’s side airbag inflator in affected vehicles could allow moisture to enter the unit and degrade the airbag inflator propellant. If this occurs, the properties of the propellant may be changed so that the propellant does not react during an accident causing misdeployment of the airbag.

Honda Australia Pty Ltd - Honda Accord, CR-V and Legend MY1998-2000, Odyssey MY1998-1999, Integra MY2000 and Civic MY1996-2000 - extended recall

PRA No.

2020/18123

Date published

20 Jan 2020

Campaign number

6NA

Product description

This recall was changed on 12 May 2020 to:

• include additional models being Odyssey, Integra and Civic
  • include additional VINs for existing models CR-V, Accord and Legend
  • remove some VINs for CR-V MY2000.

Honda Accord
Model Years 1998-2000

Honda CR-V
Model Years 1998-2000

Honda Legend
Model Years 1998-2000

Honda Odyssey
Model Year 1998-1999

Honda Integra
Model Year 2000

Honda Civic
Model Years 1997-2000

Vehicles above fitted with a driver’s airbag with a Takata NADI 5-AT inflator

Honda Civic
Model Year 1996
Potentially fitted with a driver’s airbag with a Takata NADI 5-AT inflator

38 474 affected vehicles

Identifying features

VIN (Vehicle identification number)

See attached VIN list

VIN list.xlsx (860.79 KB)

What are the defects?

According to the component supplier, the driver’s side airbag inflator in affected vehicles could allow moisture to enter the unit and degrade the airbag inflator propellant. If this occurs, the properties of the propellant may be changed so that the propellant does not react during an accident causing misdeployment of the airbag.

What are the hazards?

According to the component supplier, if a vehicle with an affected airbag is involved in a collision, the airbag inflator could rupture, causing sharp metal fragments to enter the vehicle cabin at high speed and kill or injure vehicle occupants.

The component supplier is also concerned that there is a risk that the defect could lead to slow deployment and not protect the driver as intended.

What should consumers do?

Civic MY1996
Owners of affected vehicles should stop driving their vehicle immediately. Owners of affected vehicles will receive a letter from Honda Australia asking them to contact the Honda Australia Recall Call Centre on 1800 952 272 (Monday to Friday, 8.30am - 6pm AEST) to organise their free urgent vehicle inspection.

There is currently a limited number of replacement parts available. If at vehicle inspection the Civic MY1996 is identified as containing a Takata NADI driver’s airbag inflator about which the component supplier has raised concerns, and the vehicle has a valid current registration for road use in Australia, the authorised Honda representative will either arrange replacement of the airbag inflator free of charge or assist you with making arrangements with Honda Australia for a loan vehicle until a part is available.

Honda Australia will contact the vehicle owner when replacement parts are available to arrange replacement of the airbag inflator free of charge. During this waiting period, owners must not drive their vehicles. Honda Australia can provide affected owners with a vehicle for the period until replacement parts become available.

If a recalled Civic MY1996 is identified as not containing a Takata NADI driver airbag inflator, no further action will be taken.

All other affected vehicles
Owners of affected vehicles should stop driving their vehicle immediately. Owners of affected vehicles will receive a letter from Honda Australia letting them know replacement parts will be available throughout 2020.

Honda will contact owners of vehicles with valid current registration for road use in Australia when replacement parts become available to arrange replacement of the airbag inflator free of charge. While they wait for repair, Honda Australia can provide affected owners with a vehicle for the period until replacement parts become available.

Consumers can use their registration plate number to check if their vehicle is affected by going to www.ismyairbagsafe.com.au

We also recommend you visit www.productsafety.gov.au/newsletter/subscribe to subscribe to receive updates about current and future recalls as they are published.

Further information for consumers is available at www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls

Supplier

Honda Australia Pty Ltd

Traders who sold this product

Authorised Honda dealers

Where the product was sold

Nationally

Dates available for sale

• 1 November 1997 - 28 February 2000
  • 1 September 1997 - 28 February 2000
  • 1 May 1996 - 28 February 2000

Responsible regulator

Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications is the responsible regulator for this recall.