Home espresso coffee machine reviews

In some cases, there may be test on multiple machines, this is done on a needs basis.

Our coffee tester also got back recently and she didn’t have anything to add on top of @PhilT’s comments - looks like you’ve covered it well! :coffee:

2 Likes

An update on my Breville Oracle Touch…it ended up being somehow escalated to the Breville USA Senior Legal Consultant who told me they would see me in Court. Sadly they forgot to turn up and I was awarded $3500 plus costs in default. I might not have done so well if Breville had turned up, but the Magistrate agreed I had a reasonable case.

6 Likes

Thanks for the update.

It is gratifying when a company will see you in court and does not show and gets a judgement against them just because, if not always for cause.

3 Likes

Absolute classic.

I just replaced my aged Sunbeam EM7000 that provided very good service and had a very satisfied customer with a new machine, not identified to protect Choice IP. Members perusing the review should be able to pick it.

Why not a new EM7000? I would have if I could have. Sunbeam discontinued the EM7000/7100 replaced by the EM7200 that appears to be an EM7000/7100 with an updated cabinet to look more modern. Sunbeam agents were unable to identify any functional or build difference beyond the cabinetry. That was reassuring but I noticed they also revised the owners manual.

A trend is evidenced by one example - the EM7000 specified a Sunbeam tablet, Sunbeam liquid, or a vinegar mixture were acceptable for de-calcifying. The same paragraphs for the EM7200 omit the vinegar option. And so it goes throughout where they seem to only specify their branded products, thus possibly having more reasons (excuses) to avoid warranty work for customers not explicitly following prescribed maintenance.

Maybe, maybe not but I thus looked elsewhere, first to respected (not in the test) Italian and German origin machines – until I fixated on the heat up times for my short list that ranged from 15 to 30 minutes! Back to window shopping and ‘the tested list’, buying one from the latter and reaffirmed as a top domestic choice from youtube reviews even though sans pedigree.

A surprise was the new machine made a perfectly acceptable first coffee using all defaults with the same grind as used for the EM7000. But the taste was unexpectedly quite different considering all the technicalities were in the sweet spots for grind/amount, tamp, pressure, and time/volume.

Being a Melburnian Sydney (head down now with flames coming!) coffee seems influenced by American tastes although Sydney leaves the typical American rendition to the post washup dishpan.

The Choice taste testers are documented as the expert palates of brothers David and Matthew Gee from Barista Basics as well as Anee Sampath, managing director of Samson Coffee House.

Are they all Sydney-siders? If so I suggest that be noted as different regions prefer different tastes and regardless of absolute standards of excellence that are targeted, sometimes they miss a mark for not reflecting local/regional preferences.

1 Like

In deed. Rome to Vienna, Paris or Athens. Would anyone dare suggest coffee is the same in all four. One can travel just as far from Melbourne or Brisbane and be in Sydney or NSW.

Seeking a slightly different view point?

Thinking out loud.
Downtown Sydney has promoted itself as a tourist hub. And perhaps like MacDonalds the coffee culture has swayed to a mediocrity not demanded by more community aligned custom.

P.S. yes, we have an EM7000 series. Very adaptable, and great coffee with some fine setting.

1 Like

A year later but with personal experience to add

Now having a BES920BKS that is very similar to the Oracle, the drip tray pulls out with the grating on it. Once out it is easy to remove and replace the grate without scratching on the fascia, and removal is required to empty it. It is not obvious to me now what ‘operation’ causes the chipping and scratching. - s/curious (so I do not replicate the issue).

1 Like

It is also moving cups on/off. The drip tray fascia seems ridiculously fragile regarding the paint being prone to scratches. Despite being ‘paranoid careful’ as a result of @geoff.gorham’s post mine has picked up a deep scratch on the part.

It is a poor selection of material for the coating as a minimum.

edit: I put a length of 3M type 37 electrical tape across the front of the drip tray. Other than being non-glossy it looks as if it was part of the product. How simple a treatment! Too bad Breville is not as clever.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b00039957/

The tape is thicker and the adhesive is superior to commodity tape. I applied a strip to a bike frame where the finish got damaged on a car rack; at 7 years on the tape is imperceptible and blends with the inherent look, unless it is pointed out.

1 Like

Latest home espresso machine review has a taste test score. I am after a Pod machine that provides an excellent taste and crema but the review does not specify what type of capsule is used. Surely this should be revealed if that is the main criteria for the review is the taste.
I like the idea of the DeLonghi Mini or the Delonghi Vertuo. The taste score shows the former way ahead, but that may only be because of the capsule, or do they use a variety of capsules?

1 Like

Welcome to the Community @betcha

An interesting point. Also see

and especially (previously linked)

For capsule machines, we go to great trouble to get the coffee that’s most suitable. Every few years we’ll consider whether we should change the blend we use, for example if new flavours come onto the market. If we do this, and think it will affect our comparative results, we’ll review previously-tested models again with the newer blend so that they can be fairly compared.

The issue for lab testing is to minimise and standardise the variables. Consider the difficulty in assessing each pod machine trying each of the scores of pods available, and than fairly ranking them against each other with POD-Machine A Using Pod AA produced better coffee than POD-machine B Using Pod BB. Would many be able to assess one against the other? Would it be applicable if the pod was changed (different flavour/variety or from the manufacturer)?

On balance I think you just asked for the pod used to be revealed, but would that help those who preferred and purchased other pods to become a curious and probably limiting element of the review? I would punt most consumers prioritise the pod rather than match a machine and a pod and never move on.

Comments?

1 Like

We have a choice everyday of a DeLonghi Essenza Mini (capsules) that is 3 years young, or a basic Sunbeam Cafe Series Espresso (ground coffee) machine.

Our experiences suggest both can produce very ordinary, not so appealing or surprisingly pleasing results. For consistency the capsule machine is the least effort. With a wide choice of blends or styles of coffee it is possible to satisfy average needs without too much difficulty. Our secret is sampling the wide range of different capsules available and experimenting with different styles to get the best of those that appeal most often. Try each as a single shot without milk, and if preferred a little hot water, sugar optional.

Two comments to pass on. The timing of our capsule machine can be a little variable (shorter than expected) on the first shot. We run an empty shot thru to warm the cup before the first capsule. The optional frother is most useful for heating milk and putting bubbles on the milk.