Home Cleaning & Organising Tips

Another article regarding tips to clean oven racks.

Both at our previous residence and our current home, we use a window squeegee to wipe the shower glass door and panels, and the wall and floor tiles, for safety and to help prevent mold.

The best we have found is the one Kmart stock on and off.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/window-squeegee---assorted/811817

It is small, light, and very easy to use, and it works so well when new that it actually squeaks across the glass, but not unexpectedly, the rubber blade eventually wears away.

During recent years, I have only been able to buy the last one in stock, and Kmart had no stocks for some time and staff said that they did not know if they would get more.

Whilst looking for another item at Kmart a week ago, I saw that they had large stocks of them so I bought 4 of them which will hopefully last until we need to buy more.

So if you would like to get a fantastic squeegee, grab one if and while your local Kmart has any stocks.

PS. I don’t have any vested interests in this.

1 Like

Another cleaning tip using dishwasher tablets.

1 Like

Another cleaning tip for a DIY “miracle” cleaning spray.

1 Like

A tip for cleaning oven door glass.

A tip for cleaning shower glass.

An article regarding using toothpaste to help hang picture frames on walls.

This practice is highly dangerous and not recommended. Dishwasher tablets contain highly alkaline compounds and are corrosive…will chemical burn the skin. Even washing away residues poses risks as any splashed water or spray from the surface could get into one’s eyes causing major eye damage.

Unless one cleans wearing a hazmat suit, one should not be using dishwasher tablets for such purposes. I am surprised that this was posted by Nine as it is irresponsible, dangerous and poses tisks to their readers who try it out.

1 Like

bicarb and vinegar work just as well

1 Like

When comes to cleaning and organizing, I start on my bedroom and then to the outside. As a minimalist, I sort all the things that I no longer need and I only buy the things that I do need. That way. it will not accumulate in time.

An article regarding restoring items which have shrunk in the clothes dryer.

https://style.nine.com.au/latest/how-to-unshrink-clothes-after-dryer-mums-clever-hack-tik-tok/53883a4c-bf2f-471e-853a-e05d177085b3

Oh I do wish I had learned that lesson early in life. I’m overwhelmed by the crap I have accumulated over the past 50 years :frowning:

An article regarding cleaning food stains from plastic containers.

My wife always wipe the inside of plastic food storage containers with a piece of dry paper towel before cleaning them with dishwashing liquid and hot water, whilst I just use the dishwashing liquid and hot water. In both cases, they then go into the dishwasher for full cleaning and sterilisation.

A shower cleaning tip.

1 Like

An article regarding removing oil stains off driveways.

A handy tip to prevent items in the dishwasher ending upside down and full of water.

An article regarding using a squeegee to clean carpet.

1 Like

From the photos, it looks like it has pulled out loose carpet fibres which were still held too tight for a vacuum cleaner’s suction. I would be concerned if I used a squeegee and found it had pulled many fibres out…as over time one may be left with a hessian backing as a floor covering.

Another article regarding oven cleaning tips.

With numerous tips for cleaning ovens, is it worth also asking what risks come with any of the options?

In general of for all recommendations, can the product, chemicals and method:

• present a risk to the immediate health of the user,
  • leave a residual or create a residual that is a risk to subsequent oven or stove top use,
  • have potential to cause longer term damage to the appliance.

Should Choice and the community have a recognised expert for referral of any such recommendations, until which the content has a caution flag or similar attached? @jhook?

1 Like