Herbs and spices ........what are your favourites?

I have dozens of herbs and spices, too many to list. I use them all (but not at once :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). I grow a range of herbs that are easy to manage in my climate. Some herbs that ought to grow here are just too fiddly, eg french tarragon. Few spices will grow here as most are tropical or subtropical and do not take to frost. I will try harder when (come the revolution) I have a glass house.

The best source on the web for good information is Gernot Katzer’s spice pages This gentleman has done a huge amount of research on the history, usage and production of herbs and spices. His work would make a great book but it is all free! He has gone to the trouble of indexing his material in several different ways which is a great aid to the student. To allow a sensible conversation about herbs and spices in an international forum just his cross reference of local names is rolled gold. Do you know how many different plants are called “pepper”?

I recommend his work very highly. In case anybody thought that this enthusiastic review meant I was becoming mellow and agreeable I should mention in conclusion that vax2000 is in error in some respects.

Curry powder is not a spice and buying ground spices and spice mixtures (such as “curry powder” whatever that means) is convenient but will never give you the aromaticity and flexibility that comes from grinding and mixing your own freshly as required.
I make dozens of Asian dishes that contain a mix of spices that might be called “curry powder” by a Westerner. They are all different. If I used a commercial curry powder that would all have a certain sameness determined by whatever the maker put in their product. Your supply of whole spices should be kept in individual tightly sealed airtight containers.

3 Likes

One of the most under-used & under-appreciated is tarragon.

2 Likes

If Curcumin is part of Tumeric, does it make sense to take Curcumin becasue it would be stronger? There seems to be a lot to say about Tumeric but not much about Curcumin. Has there been any research done on Curcumin, and the dosage or any side affects.

1 Like