HDMI Cables. Prices vs Quality. Is it really worth $250 for one?

The other thing to also look out for is if it is 1.3, 1.4, 2.0 or 2.1 specification. Most cables you buy these days are or should be 1.4 but there are some older 1.3 spec cables still being sold. Some cables that meet 1.3 spec do not meet the 1.4 spec and therefore do not support the higher rates that 1.4 requires and are therefore not compatible with 4K displays.

Hi grahroll, those version numbers apply to implementation of HDMI in devices, such as TVs or BD players. The version numbers should not be used when talking about cables, as cables only exist in the four types I mentioned ( although the HDMI Licensors also have labels for Standard Automotive and [High Speed] Premium types ). The labels and descriptions can be seen at the link provided in draughtrider’s post.

3 Likes

If you still need a HDMI cable perhaps you should just go to your nearest Jaycar store. They are tech/it stores (a bit like the old Dick Smith stores) and there will probably be a store near you. They will be able to provide you with a good cable at a fair price.

Just a warning on the really cheap cables.
The internal wires are very thin and whilst the will work OK when you first install them they need to be treated with care as they can damage very easily and will break.

4 Likes

The would be the OLD OLD Dick Smith Stores, before they became lost in the wilderness without a clue stores, not the old Dick Smith stores as they were in their later years. :slight_smile:

Ahh Ty for putting me right but I used to buy cables that had 1.3 compliant on the packaging. Anyway a good explanation of why a price doesn’t matter can be found at this CNET page They also tested some cables (this is an older article but the reasons still stand true) https://hdguru.com/all-hdmi-cables-are-the-same-or-are-they-full-test/4373/

2 Likes

I can hardly say i like sales people any more and its always amazing how pushy they will get if you are actually thinking of buying. Ive heard harvy norman are pretty bad for not helping but i went to 2nds wold few years back to buy a fridge gees this guy he was so pushy kept saying do i want this size etc. I actually found them a bit misleading like maybe saying its cheaper cos its a seconds good but i paid full price.At the time i wasn’t thinking really i got sucked in. This guy kept going on and on but in future ill just say i wont need your help. Some retailers are that bad just when i was looking for a replacement light in the kitchen. I went to harvey norman lighting when i walked in there it was so empty the staff didn’t even come to ask if i needed help. Id give them a miss next time also. Goes to show shop around is a good idea.

I know what you mean about the old dick smith but all these retailers seems to end up going bust now a days because they cant compete i guess.I liked the days in the 80s when i was younger and there were more stores around that sold specialized things like say if u were shopping for food eg baker butcher. but its all changed so much corner shops have pretty much gone.Now its a constant sale all year not like years ago when it was just a sale few times a year. Before dick smith went bust they were still quite good for knowledge but they seemed to get quieter i found when i visited them a few years ago and no one seemed to go into the stores.

I have bought the Apple cables with great succes, despite the price being a bit silly.

But they are thinner and more flexible compared to my other cables which all look like I have 3 phase power running into my TV!

1 Like

Hi Scott, thank you so much for all the information. I freely admit that most of it is way above my understanding (baby boomer) but at least I now know enough to NOT be ripped off.

2 Likes

Agreed. It all started coming unstuck when they started stocking kitchen appliances and the like. Just like JB has. Half their stores are now filled with coffee machines and toasters. Watch this space.