I wanted to ask if you’ve had trouble accessing a service that you need to use because of a tricky app. Apps should make things simpler, but sometimes they make things harder!
The other night I was parking on a University campus. When I went to pay for parking I noticed that none of the parking machines were available for use. Instead, we were directed to download a parking app.
Some of the issues that I see with this app:
- you have to create an account to sign up, and provide a lot of unnecessary information including number plate, email, names, credit card details which makes the process really long
- we did not know the hourly rates until AFTER we ‘began’ our parking session
- we had to begin and end our parking session on the app. I don’t know what would have happened if the phone had gone flat
- I think that this app is quite inaccessible and the parking area provided no alternatives to using it
- Additionally, people who do not have a working smartphone may not be able to access parking
What do you think? Have you had any experiences with tricky apps that you want to share?