Have you ever had multiple super accounts? We're keen to hear from you

Do you have, or have you had, multiple super accounts at the same time? CHOICE journo Daniel Herborn is keen to chat. You can reach him at dherborn@choice.com.au

6 Likes

Hmm. Daniel not on the Community?
I have multiple super accounts, for a few reasons. He can PM me.

3 Likes

I had a few Super Accounts at one time and amalgamated them to save on fees.

Later I started my own SMSF and still kept my Australian Super one going at the same time.

Available if Daniel wants to chat.

Cheers Natalie :wink:

3 Likes

Yes, he can PM me and provide some guidance on what he is seeking details of. I only have two now. I rolled a number of accumulated contributions into an existing Industry Fund.

A legacy of our fractured super system and obsession with divisive political system. Also a legacy, but not for this topic.

One is an Industry Fund and the other a Retail WRAP.

3 Likes

Ha ha. I was studying at university when compulsory superannualtion came in, and had more than 20 jobs during those years. Each one seemed to have a fresh! new! superannuation fund.

When I finally got around to trying to consolidate them after I’d graduated and had a well-paid job, only one or two of them were left. The remainder had been completely munched by fees and charges.

5 Likes

That’s so frustrating! Thanks for sharing

5 Likes

Any/every xMilitary member non retired would have at least 2 with no choice

1 Like

I’ve had two super accounts for the last 11 years. The first (government) one is restricted so I couldn’t contribute to it after I left the public service but it was performing better than the other fund I was offered when I started in retail. I’ve continued to keep both as their performance varies over the years in comparison to each other and they each offer unique benefits after retirement. Plus, don’t investment advisors always say not to put all your eggs in one basket?

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: ATO’s new super comparison tool: What do you think?

Hi, I’m interested. I have two super accounts and would like to combine them but there is a disincentive. Any change to your super including combining two accounts is regarded by the government as a trigger to grandfathering. Some years ago pensions received from super were not regarded as income for various benefits including health cards. This changed and any pension based income stream is now regarded as income. On one hand the government is encouraging amalgamation of super accounts and less fees and on the other providing disincentives to so so.

1 Like

Hi, I have two. One is an SMSF that was set up 10 years ago and the other is an Industry Super fund that I can move my SMSF funds to when the balance gets unviable.

Welcome to the community @Buzz77

Assume you are referring to the following ruling, which grandfathered the previous exemption.

Amalgamation or reducing the number of super accounts has been recommended by many. The motivation has been to reduce the impact of fees across multiple accounts with small balances. It’s a legacy of the early days of compulsory super where employers were in control of which fund employees contributions were deposited to.

The changes that appear to be impacting your situation from 2015 removed a concession. It arguably provided the greatest benefit to those with larger super accounts. Permitting of topping up after the dates indicated whether from savings or another super account would be contrary to the principle of grandfathering. The same social security concession is not available to anyone who puts in place an income stream after the date and conditions set in 2015.

1 Like

Years ago I had 3 separate accounts. One was a rollover from a Government fund, the other two were from employment agencies I’d worked for. I heeded the advice to amalgamate them and never looked back.

Lets say you have two funds, each charging $700 in annual fees. Even if one fund paid a bit more on your money, that would be wiped out by the $700 in fees. And over say 10, 20 years the $700 would be worth thousands