Have you 'almost' been caught in a consumer scam?

I was almost a victim of the Amazon Prime scam. I woke up to what was happening after the scammer took control of my laptop. Very close to accessing my bank accounts. You can get details of this scam from the net. Disconnected internet and landline and still he kept trying to stay on the line. Contacted the bank immediately & secured my funds. New password obtained on Sunday. Eventually he gave up.

1 Like

@Ronaldo, which scam was this? How did it entice you?

It was the Amazon Prime scam involving a alleged refund to me. It almost got me but I woke up to what was being done. I disconnected the internet and phone line to get rid of them. The guy had an American/Canadian accent but that could be faked too.

2 Likes

So @Ronaldo you gave some details about your computer to someone who called you on the phone. Good thing you pulled the plug on them and no damage was done.
I once finished installing some driver software and utilites for a new printer, and, as the install process kept bugging me to register online for support reasons, I did that.
Half an hour later, I get a call from someone saying they were from the Microsoft virus monitoring service, and they had detected a virus on my computer. Wanting my computer details like IP address and a few other things so they could log on and get rid of the virus.
Should have heard the expletive laden language when I told them that I don’t have a computer, so they must be either mistaken or just plain old scammers. :laughing:

1 Like