Have fridges changed for the better?

The fridge is not cooperative. Note the left side door and the freezer doors remain opaque. Perhaps the fridge will train its humans to put necessary items behind the window so as not to require those extra few seconds of open door?

More to the point, double, triple or quadruple glazing?

6 Likes

I want a small fridge which is also efficient. I replaced a 221L Westinghouse without ā€œfrost freeā€, with a Westinghouse 340L. I did not think through the size, though, and it protrudes into the kitchen by several cm: also, I didnt think through future need for bottom mount. I find also that its difficult for me to reach the back of the fridge, because its so deep. To get one that properly fits the space will cost at minimum around $550, OR over $3000. (Iā€™m only looking at Appliances Online because they also do install and removal of old, for free). I rather fear that the small fridge I can afford (not a Liebherr or a Bosch) wont be efficient and I canā€™t find out much about the brand (CHiQ)

We use magnets to hold shopping lists and various other stuff on the fridge and freezer doors. Small super strength magnets work well through quite thick wads of paper.

Just a youngster compared to ours! Oh the shame, the shame!

1 Like

If you are not a Choice Online member where some of the running costs are provided with review of refrigerators, the Government Energy Star Rating website has similar information on running costsā€¦

https://www.energyrating.gov.au/calculator

Click on the fridge on this page and one can do a search on particular brands or models or look at the whole list of fridges available in Australia. One can also set the capacity or volume of the fridge to filter those in the size range one is looking at purchasing.

2 Likes

I believe CHiQ is the ā€˜aspriationalā€™ range of Sichuan Changhong Electric Co Ltd whereas Changhong is their entry label, apparently being morphed into CHiQ. Why? LG , previously known as as Lucky-Goldstar, was a name that was not widely respected in the west and was associated with poor products even when they evolved to good products. Moving on to LG, aka Lifes Good, was a marketing coup. Will CHiQ do the same for Changhong? Time will tell.

There are a few CHiQ fridges on productreview but not so many reviews there.

There are reviews of vairous CHiQ products on The Goodguys and Harvey Norman sites as well as appliancesonline. The reviews seem overwhelmingly favourable although reviews on sales sites could reasonably be suspect.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve checked productreview but the particular fridge I want is not listed. AO reviews are positive too. I think Iā€™ll just have to bite the bullet and get it.

2 Likes

ā€¦ when the fridge dies, stripping the internal shelves out of the door and mounting the skin on the kitchen wall as a magnet board is rather interesting and fun ā€¦ nor so Iā€™ve been led to believe, not that I know anyone who has done this you understand :wink:

5 Likes