Laundry Detergent Strips/Sheets instead of powder or liquid?

I’ve tried Tru-Earth laundry strips and am mostly happy with them. Wondering if anyone else can share their experience of these or similar (eg Dizolve).

2 Likes

I just saw them advertised and wondered how they went.

1 Like

I just came across and add for laundry strips. Basically dehydrated laundry liquid that comes in packs of 32 and reduces plastic waste.

I would be very interested to see how they compare to other more usual products.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve been using laundry strips for over a year. I started with the ones from Canada (TruEarth) but have now found some from Melbourne (SpaceWhite) so that makes me happier about the fewer ‘food miles’.

I started using them because I wanted to reduce plastic containers and have been very happy with them. Also, they are much easier to use than laundry liquid or powder.

Has any one tried the new ECO washing strips ( available on line ) currently advertising on facebook ( tru earth) with a very catchy advert

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @Robbsy,

The only comment to date is the following, that might be helpful.

As for being advertised on Facebook, that can be far from an authoritative reference or safe purchase in the general case, noting FB Marketplace seems closer to the American wild west than to the likes of ebay or amazon or known online vendors. Regardless of the product I would seek out another supply given a choice (no pun intended) in case the purchase goes wrong for whatever reason…

6 Likes

While it would be great for Choice to test and see if it is better than washing in water. I must admit I am a little dubious as the strips weight in at 3 grams (or 3 grams per wash).

Most commercial powder or liquid washes require about 40-70mL/g per wash (noting that Choice found that many widely available liquids/powders may perform well at around 50% of the recommended manufacture dosage). If we assume a 50% dosage, it is still around 20-35mL/g per wash…or about 7-12 times that which the strips weigh. Something doesn’t seem quite right (especially since the detergent industry has removed fillers and most of their products are now classed as concentrates).

5 Likes

Should this topic be merged with this? (May '20)

I think there has been another post - more recently than the current one, and the above link - on the same topic: my interest was piqued, because I hadn’t heard of laundry strips prior to then.

UPDATE: the most recent comments (6d ago) on the above topic, was what I remembered.

3 Likes

Thanks for that. I missed that topic. Cheers,

2 Likes

My social media feed has recently come up with ads for washing machine ‘sheets’ or ‘strips’ to replace liquid or powder. Touted as being eco friendly as it removes plastic bottles from the waste cycle, and transports more easily, I am tempted to try but unsure how well the product would work.
Has anyone tried these?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have moved your question to an existing thread where the same question has already been asked. You should have a look at the answers, especially those by @PhilT (post #5) & @phb (post #6).

2 Likes

So as I see it:
Less plastic (I used powder in cardboard), less transporting to supposedly be “recycled”
Less weight for less greenhouse gases in transport to seller

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community @PTB

The question remains unanswered by Community members as to how they work getting clothes clean in the laundry.

Can you add to that?

2 Likes

YES: I have used Tru Earth (3 x 32 strips ) for soo long can’t remember when I ordered them! They have washed excellently. I have a FL machine, dont use dryer.
I cut them in 1/4’s and only used 1/2 to 3/4 strip per load as a FL is smaller than a TL. I put them in a small container with lid that I already had.

I am now about to order a 100 strip pack from Spacewhite to try them out as cheaper an is Aussie.

Happy washing.
You wont look back! Save trucks, save cupboard space, and no need to ever lug home laundry detergent again!!

1 Like

Welcome to the Community @Shevaun,

Thanks for adding your experience, and especially your success using partial strips.

Once you have a few loads with it, please update with your experience as you will be the first to do so.

1 Like

Thank you for your input. How do you actually use the strip? Can it go in the machine’s dispenser? Or does it get added (in a discrete container) to the load in the drum of your FL?
I googled the product, and found there is an Oz provider (32 strips for $18) - how does that compare with your previous purchases??

1 Like

We tested TruEarth laundry strips in our most recent Laundry detergent review and we were pretty unimpressed - for toploaders there was no difference in performance between TruEarth and water alone, and they barely performed any better in front loaders.
What they are is basically a sheet of water soluable material soaked in detergent. My theory is there simply isn’t enough detergent per strip to actually clean anything (which is made worse in a top loader due to their higher water consumption).
As for how to use them, just throw them into the drum with your laundry, though you’ll get pretty much the same performance from throwing them in the bin instead.

7 Likes

Classic.

1 Like

I was looking today at recommend ones but prices are out of control ill just use what is affordable. Can’t understand why they are expensive

1 Like

Because, consumers often think that being expensive it is more likely to work. As Choice often finds in its tests, price has little to do with whether a product is fit for purpose, is better than a cheaper one or performs as well as the product claims.

2 Likes