ACCC Reports on NBN Performance

New Honesty Box report, it seems my internet continues to be better than 14.8% of other Australians on nbn ™ SATELLITE (LTS)25/5
Av download speed 14.0Mbps
Av upload speed 3.5Mbps
Avg latency 656.5ms

I’m not sure there is much of use to be gained from these reports for me personally, dropouts/buffering which are not measured and aren’t reported on continue to be an issue, and the speed/latency continues to be rather poor and unlikely to improve.

5 Likes

It seems life on the net is similar in other countries.

5 Likes

But they keep telling us all no matter which country that it is better than it is. Pure political spin comes out of their mouths. We were given a fraud, it remains a fraud, and we are told it is World Class…yep World Class Fraud.

5 Likes

At least the figures we have are not self-reported but actual measurements. However (as I mentioned last month) whether the measurements taken by the ACCC represent what is happening across the country is another matter. As it is the monitoring we have is better than nothing but the meaning of the results is widely misrepresented as showing what NBN subscribers are getting.

1 Like

ACCC first report came out in March 2018 https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files/ACCC%20-%20Measuring%20Broadband%20Australia%20-%20Initial%20Findings%20-%20March%202018.pdf

Their fith report came out in May 2019 https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files/Measuring%20Broadband%20Australia%20–%20Report%205%20–%20May%202019.PDF

This seems to be a reply to me. I don’t understand your point. I know reports have come out with figures in them, but what do they mean? Did you read my previous material re the sampling methods of the survey?

1 Like

Out on a bike ride a few days ago and went past a fairly new phone tower- hmm I wonder if it is Optus - so stopped about half a km down the road and whipped out my phone and ran Speedtest (4G).
239Mbps download
66Mbps upload

[dream]
Now all I need is a new tower a couple of km down the road and I can ditch the NBN satellite!
[/dreaming]

2 Likes

Still say whack a Yagi or a dish on a hill pointing at the tower or put a nice tall tower in with one on top so it has clear LoS to the tower. :smile: Where’s that Gum Tree when you need it.

I know I know dreaming

2 Likes

Last month…

This month it’s even better … than fewer others - "better than 12.5% of other Australians on nbn ™ SATELLITE (LTS)25/5.
At this rate, by the end of the year it might top out at better than 0% of others!

3 Likes

Getting Ready. Display it proudly!

5 Likes

Meanwhile, at the low end:

2 Likes

The most current ACCC publication is just out.

4 Likes

Whipping season is also open!

Activ8me, Aussie Broadband, Flip TV, Hello Broadband, Mate Communicate, My Net Fone and Telechoice were all found to be in breach of new rules.

In each case, the breaches related to a lack of information about plans and network speeds. They have each been fined $12,600.

7 Likes

A mere $12,600 per Telco?

Hardly anything more than a slap on the wrist with a wet tram ticket.

3 Likes

It really isn’t important about how much better you are, what is more important is that you get what you pay for. To give an example of what I mean…if there are 100 people on a 25/5 plan and you get that rate every day and all the time and the other 99 people get the exact same result then you would be better than none ie 0%. If you get only 12/2 and the other 99 get exactly the same result you would still be better than none ie 0%.

When it becomes important is when the others are getting 25/5 and you are getting 12/2 but in this case you would be worse than 100% of others. So it will depend where your 4.6% puts you in regards to everyone else. When looking at the 4.6% you will also notice a cluster graph that will show if your result is lower/higher or close to the middle of the rest (see the following snip)

Annotation%202019-08-24%20172723

From this you can decide if your 4.6% is a good, bad or indifferent indication of your RSP’s & your internet performance. Fixed Wireless (FW) has big issues with Tower congestion ie too many people for the bandwidth available from the Tower. When too many are on then the available data allowance for that tower has to be shared in such a way that everyone gets very poor service, so the 4.6% may just mean that you are sharing the congestion with every other FW user. Not a great hope raiser I know but it is the result of too much poor planning of the FW nbn™ network.

5 Likes

Could be better, could be worse.

Your Internet is better than 48.1% of other Australians on nbnTM FIBRE(FttN) 50/20.
Your connection scored 82.37 points. Download score 83.77 & Upload score 76.75
This is same as last month.
Avg. download speed
41.9 Mbps
Avg. upload speed
15.3 Mbps

4 Likes

As a reminder as this Topic is very long.

CHOICE publish their review of NBN providers from their Honesty Box research every month at the following Web Address:

To read how they measure the performance see the following article at:

The FAQ about the program is at:

Finally if you would like to apply to join the program (you may not be successful in your application) you can at:

https://www.honestybox.com.au/getfree/

The ACCC program (which is different to the CHOICE program) can be found at:

5 Likes

UGH… deleted. Irrelevant remarks.

Thanks @grahroll :+1:

1 Like

Whilst I continue to have better internet than 14% of others (how good is that?!) on the same nbn satellite speed plan, the actual download speed becomes somewhat irrelevant for many web pages. The huge ping time has much greater importance for pages with lots of separate components. This has always been obvious on maps with pages made up of numerous panes, such as Google Earth.

It has become even more of an issue of late with Strava, which I use for my cycling. Recently they must have changed something because page load time has increased significantly. A reload of my Strava dashboard page takes 55-60 seconds on nbn, but if I use my phone as a hot spot, with notionally only about 1/5 the download speed, but much shorter ping time, it loads in a bit over 10 seconds!

4 Likes