ACCC Reports on NBN Performance

Here is the relevant bit of some extra correspondence I received from Louise in answer to a couple of questions, I remember someone complaining that the testing was using huge quantities of data, and I also asked about the downtime I frequenty see on satellite nbn:

Our testing is conducted specifically according to your monthly data limit (which is why we ask for accurate information about your account) and uses approximately 10% of your monthly data allowance.

At this time, measuring down-time is not part of the broadband performance being reported on as part of the CHOCIEÂ program, but we are looking at the possibility of doing so in the future.

2 Likes

Choice has published it’s first results from the program see the following link to see them:

and the email I received:

Dear XXXXXXX,

We’re super excited! The first set of results measuring Australia’s broadband performance have been published today.

And we’ve got you to thank.

CHOICE’s first broadband performance leaderboard
The device you so kindly connected to your modem / router has been quietly testing your broadband performance: measuring download and upload speeds as well as latency (response time).

Leaderboard Results

Program update
This is a massive undertaking because we need 1000’s of these devices out there in order to increase the accuracy of the broadband performance results. With over 1000 devices in homes today, consider this a beta, and a taste of what’s to come.

These sorts of programs prompt lots of great questions and because CHOICE is open about what it does, there’s a central place to read more. You can read their FAQs, or learn more about how they measure broadband performance.

Lastly, a shout out to your mates, friends or families to get on board. Share the link below and encourage them to register. It’s free remember.

Register to participate

Kind regards,

Louise Hudson
Customer Engagement Team
Email: helpdesk@emetric.com.au
Phone: 1300 012 472

Copyright © 2018 Enex TestLab - eMetric Smart Meter Team, All rights reserved.
You’re receiving this email from Enex TestLab - eMetric Smart Meter Team, because you qualified to participate in the CHOICE Broadband Performance Measuring Program.

Our mailing address is:
Enex TestLab - eMetric Smart Meter Team
274 Victoria Street
Brunswick, VIC 3056
Australia

3 Likes

This explains it: “Our Broadband Performance Measuring Program collects data from households around Australia” 
 not ‘across Australia’ - coastal testing only :wink:

3 Likes

Indeed, I emailed Louise about why I didn’t see any mention of nbn satellite plans, and it seems they are only reporting ISPs/plans with sufficient numbers of data recorders. So it seems that I lose 10% of my monthly data allowance and don’t make it into the reporting, although I already know all I need to about nbn satellite, it is crap!

3 Likes

Get any others on the Sat plans to ask to join. We need the data so the veil can be lifted on the Sat service failure. I am sure they still collect the data but I am guessing without sufficient numbers the averages etc are not really a good (realistic?) picture. Does anyone know of any forums where the Sat users are voicing opinions that we could encourage them to register?

2 Likes

Unfortunately they are not measuring the problem areas, only speed, which is mostly ok ~20/1, when it is working. They aren’t measuring down time, lost packets etc.

From my ISP:

We have recently received an increase in complaints from NBN Satellite customers, NBN is currently being affected by a packet loss issue within the Satellite network that is causing drops in service and a perceived slowing of service.

From Louise:

Our testing is conducted specifically according to your monthly data limit (which is why we ask for accurate information about your account) and uses approximately 10% of your monthly data allowance.

At this time, measuring down-time is not part of the broadband performance being reported on as part of the CHOICE program, but we are looking at the possibility of doing so in the future.

3 Likes

They do measure minimum which may be somewhat helpful
Anyway did some tweets about it to try and get more interest using my @grahroll1 . Welcome your retweets to spread it further.

Have also added a post about the program to the Sky Muster Whirlpool topic.
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2577816&p=65&#r55886301

1 Like

Tweet/facebook (if using it) etc your own messages everyone so we can get more people registered and eventually providing data.

1 Like

We need everyone else to know it as well - especially the poor souls in line for it 
 your point is well made.

Seems they aren’t comparing big smoke to regional/remote either - a very relevant aspect for those of us not ‘on the coast’. It’s easy to service a big customer base in a small area well, servicing regional/remote has other challenges with little economy of scale. Luckily (for me) it seems if you get remote enough, other ‘political factors/hot potatoes’ result in a fairly good service, as long as you are inside town limits 

4 Likes

A bill on ‘truth in speeds’ is being proposed by an independent, a representative for ‘us’ not himself. What are the odds it could pass? The last few lines says it all.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/tech/2018/03/01/incorrect-broadband-speed-promises-could-be-illegal/

4 Likes

Also in there was what I felt was a very apt comment ie that the ACCC was toothless to properly enforce truth in speeds “We really need to give the ACCC the muscle to enforce those warnings”. How true that the "provider or the manufacturer is not required to actually deliver on their promise” in the case of RSPs and the NBN. Some would say the ACCC are toothless in other areas as well eg petrol pricing but even so it highlights the lack of general political care and even perhaps the lack of desire when it comes to designing legislation to protect citizens.

And yes, the last line says it well “it remains to be seen” whether the other politicians will support the bill. I don’t hold out much hope that it will pass.

3 Likes

I can hear government’s position that the NBN and the RSPs are collectively so shonky nobody believes anything they claim anyway, so no worries.

3 Likes

Andrew Wilkie makes a number of valid points that we have repeated too often; such as, the ACCC needs some dentures. And as @grahroll said, this applies across the board.

Sadly, the LNP has a deeply entrenched position, and I think he will be a lonely voice in the Parliamentary wilderness.

3 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: The “Never Never Broadband Network” - NBN complaints

Some data has been published on the ACCC’s speed testing program. Their findings indicate that most providers achieve at least 80% of their advertised speeds. What’s everyone’s thoughts on this?

2 Likes

I don’t know their testing process but based on my own experience, that of my friends and relatives, reports on this site by others and looking at eMetric’s results I would say the ACCC results are not the norm, they may have picked outstanding properties by accident or design.

Definitely the peak hour traffic is really suspect in my opinion. I cannot equate their results with anything I have seen, particularly my TPG, my Brother in Law’s TPG, and my Mother’s Telstra Fixed Wireless results do not reflect in peak hour what the ACCC have reported. We were FTTN 100/40 which at best was around 90 Mpbs but in peak we lost connection and now FTTP and still only getting max around 95 Mbps but mostly 70 Mbps or less and in peak we still drop to less than 2 Mbps if we don’t lose connection. My Bro in Law gets similar issues on HFC. Maybe it’s a different TPG? iiNet wholly owned and operated by TPG got a worse result than the parent when on the same infrastructure
boggled, and stunned.

We certainly benefit from eMetric’s very unbiased testing (nor is it seen to be subject to political masters).

Another thought on this is what speed tiers are they testing, maybe the majority are just 12/1 and 25/5 packages so we could then expect at least 80% success. That would still fall below expected standards as the 25/5 was guaranteed by Mr Turnbull.

My cynicism is breaking out
I am having trouble reining it in
Whoa there Nellie

5 Likes

I would never expect them to do such a thing. Never. (/sarcasm)

3 Likes

Next release of figures from the Choice Broadband testing:

https://www.choice.com.au/compareall/electronics-and-technology/internet/connecting-to-the-internet/broadband-performance

Still not many recommended ones in the pack yet. In fact quite a disappointing list of not recommended. Also of interest in the results is the recommended ones ie those with a score of 80% + are all only 25/5 Mbps plans and no higher speed plans reach that level. Maybe a reflection of the suspected pooooooor levels of CVC purchased by RSPs, it would be interesting to see what a substantial CVC increase would achieve.

From the email I got it is now offering for users/participants to register for individual results (I have registered my interest).

They still want more people to register for joining the test program so please let your friends, relatives and social contacts know about the program.

From the email:

"Dear XXXXXXX,

The latest set of results measuring Australia’s broadband performance have been published today.

CHOICE’s broadband performance leaderboard
Each month CHOICE provides a new set of data that reflects the latest broadband performance in homes across Australia and the latest results are now live.

Leaderboard Results

Access to other results
Our initial focus is to use the power of all of your devices together to help CHOICE produce aggregated monthly results. However, a number of you have asked about access to your own individual results. We’re working towards seeing if we can make this possible, so register your interest below if you’re keen on seeing your own broadband performance data.

Individual Results

Program update
This is a massive undertaking because we need 1000’s of these devices out there in order to increase the accuracy of the broadband performance results. With almost 2000 devices in homes today, consider this a beta, and a taste of what’s to come.

Lastly, a shout out to your mates, friends or families to get on board. Share the link below and encourage them to register - especially if their broadband service is fibre-to-the-node (FttN) or hybrid fibre coaxial (HFC). It’s free, remember.

Register to participate

Kind regards,

Louise Hudson
Customer Engagement Team
Email: helpdesk@emetric.com.au
Phone: 1300 012 472 "

4 Likes

I’ve also signed up for the individual results, having previously asked about that.

As I mentioned in the NBN complaints thread, no satellite plans are showing up yet, no doubt due to lack of numbers being monitored.

2 Likes

I still hope that participants and those interested in participating get friends, family, and acquaintances involved/informed about the program. If that happens then those Satellite plans and lots of others will be reported on in the future with more robust statistics flowing on from that greater participation. I want to see those results, I think we need those results, and if we get the results everyone will have a better understanding of how the NBN is working or not and there will be strong evidence to back up arguments for improvements.

I am really very sorry there aren’t enough participating in your particular area of interest ie Satellite and I still am advocating socially to get more involved so that your problems can be clearly shown.

3 Likes